Pix of FDNY Apparatus by Boro

Found an interesting site with pix of older apparatus.  You can view pix by boro, and the clik on location. and he lists all companies by address and home box.

http://.firegroundphwwwotos.net/fdny.htm

You can get the most recent pics of all the rigs by borough, plus special units on FDNYTrucks.com  :)

I agree, Mike"s web site has to be the greatest fire truck site on the web. Plus he appears to be a good guy. My son is thinking of kit-bashing some of the older rigs from 58/26 and Mike gave him info on those oder rigs. Three other good sites that focus on New England rigs are (1) Massfiretrucks.com, (2) firenews.org, and (3) massmetrofire.org. Sadly there is no cuurent web site for Chicago, info is 4 to 5 years old. :'(

HCO

For efd274 re apparatus photos of the 1945-1960 era:

Perhaps the best source for photos of that period is the 1st or 2nd edition of "Wheels of the Bravest", by Jack Calderone and Jack Lerch.  Ira Hoffman, at FSP Books & Videos, occasionally finds a copy to sell. They usually go for about $200 up to over $800, depending on condition.

If you, or others that may be interested, are able to get to the Mand Library at the FDNY Training Academy, there is a reference copy of "Wheels" at the Library, plus hundreds of photos of rigs of that era, set up in folders by company. The photos cannot be borrowed, but are available for examination at the Library.  Hours are 0700-1600, Monday through Friday.  It's best to call first at 212-860-9487 or 212-360-4413, as the staff is sometimes not available.

Wheels of the Bravest is really great. I wrote and asked them if they planned a third edition to go from 1865 to 2009.  They wrote back - no plans.  I am surprised since they only have to update from 1992-2009, and they have most of that info readily available.

Fire Apparatus Journal also did a book on FDNY Mack L apparatus  in the 40's and early fifties, and one on FDNY Ahrens Fox primarily the 20s and 30s.

Check out their site,  or: http://www.fire-police-ems.com/books/3275.shtml 

Their newest volume is on the ALF 900 series rigs generally around the 60's

FAJ (i.e. Jack Calderone) also did a great book on FDNY Rescue apparatus which shows every rig that the rescues ran from the first Cadillac (yes, R1's first rig was a Cadillac) through the HME/Saulsburys of 1997.  Copies are sometimes available on eBay, and might just be available from FAJ.

Two book that I have that are great are 1.  They Also Served by Calderone and the other is called New York City Fire Trucks by Sorenso/Wood. They date back to horse drawn and up to the 21st Century.

Go to motorbooks.com. They have the FDNY book by Sorenson/Wood. They also have books centering on a specific manufacturer.
wood/Sorenson also wrote Big City Fire Trucks Vol 1 and 2. :)