Proposed Bill Banning Use of AFFF Containing PFAS

Attached is a copy of a Bill proposed in the US Senate by Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) banning PFAS containing AFFF in the US. PFAS has been identified as an environmental risk and as causing cancer in fire fighters who used AFFF. The bill does not mention AR AFFF which I believe is used by the FDNY nor does it provide a buy-back program so that municipalities can be reimbursed for their existing stock of AFFF and use the reimbursement to purchase non-PFAS containing AFFF foam.

Any thoughts or comments on FDNY impact ?

Attachments

• AFFF Bill MUR22165.pdf
    23.2 KB · Views: 5
Sounds like the Senator just got a huge wad of cash, excuse me, campaign donation from the hilariously named American Association for Justice. She knows a simple "thank you" will not be enough. The correct reply is "How high do I have to jump?".

By the way, don't the American taxpayers employ thousands of overpaid bureaucrats (think EPA, OSHA, CDC, NIH, ad infinitum) to oversee these issues? They seem to have no problem banning things (think regular shower faucets). What do they say?

Bulldog

Bulldog
Sounds like the Senator just got a huge wad of cash, excuse me, campaign donation from the hilariously named American Association for Justice. She knows a simple "thank you" will not be enough. The correct reply is "How high do I have to jump?".

By the way, don't the American taxpayers employ thousands of overpaid bureaucrats (think EPA, OSHA, CDC, NIH, ad infinitum) to oversee these issues? They seem to have no problem banning things (think regular shower faucets). What do they say?
I think this issue is much different, this product in AFFF has been proven to be a carcinogenic and environmental issue yet the manufacturers haven't removed the product from production nor look for alternatives. This is 1 of the few things that I think the government may be really needed to get involved in for safety and health reasons. I certainly do agree about the shower faucets etc. however.

Due to the ubiquity and long lasting nature of PFAS, there has been concern (and rightly so) and plenty of research about effects on humans. As of today there exists no proof that PFAS cause cancer. Research reports on this issue always employ the words may and possibly cause cancer. It is important to understand the crucial difference between correlation and causation. An economist has shown a positive correlation between movies made by actress Jennifer Lawrence and the GDP of Australia. Remember the saying: "The sun doesn't come up because the rooster crows.".

This has been known for over 10 years now. The military ARFF crews changed out their foams a few years ago. Many many municipal departments have already switched to new foam formulas that are fluorine free