REMEMBERANCE

Over the past few months the FDNY family has lost several retired members who were part of the greatest generation of firefighters we knew. Some of these "War Years Warriors" were guys like (in no particular order) Bill Flood, Dom Manzilla, Jim Duffy, Jack Boyle, Jack Corcoran, Mickey Maye, William Jones and more.
I just wanted to take a moment to remember these guys and all the men who worked so hard during those times. When I think back, I am always amazed at what they did. How ordinary guys came together and did extradinary things. The amount of running and working throughout the city was mind boggling. How many times did they climb on and off the rigs, how many lines did they stretch, how many ceilings did they pull and how many fires did they respond to and put out?
For those of you who have passed....Rest in Peace. For those of you still with us.....Here's to YOU !!!

1261Truckie said:
Over the past few months the FDNY family has lost several retired members who were part of the greatest generation of firefighters we knew. Some of these "War Years Warriors" were guys like (in no particular order) Bill Flood, Dom Manzilla, Jim Duffy, Jack Boyle, Jack Corcoran, Mickey Maye, William Jones and more.
I just wanted to take a moment to remember these guys and all the men who worked so hard during those times. When I think back, I am always amazed at what they did. How ordinary guys came together and did extradinary things. The amount of running and working throughout the city was mind boggling. How many times did they climb on and off the rigs, how many lines did they stretch, how many ceilings did they pull and how many fires did they respond to and put out?
For those of you who have passed....Rest in Peace. For those of you still with us.....Here's to YOU !!!

"1261 Truckie". Those are Great Words for some Great Firefighters. I didn't know any of them. I only know what they did, and what many like them did. I don't think there will ever be a Generation of Firefighters like them. They were never ones to boost about themselves. They fought fires during the toughest times in the toughest city in the World.

They made due with what they had. There no air conditioned rigs. No Fast Cos. Not even a Rac Unit. Just the other day "mack" and I were discussing the type of fires that these guys would pull up to and handle it with what they had. Maybe a five story brick, fully involved, top to bottom, side to side, and on a good night, maybe they'd get 2 + 2 on it.

And like you, I am still amazed at the amount of work these guys did as firefighters. There's just no way to tell the real story. And even if we could, it's hard for people to believe it today. Some fought in WWII and many fought in Korea, and Viet Nam.

In my many visits and talks with some of these firefighters, not only did they know their job, but they never once boasted about themselves.

These guys are real Role Models. As Firefighters, as Americans, as Fathers, and as the neighbor down the street. We need to remember them. We need to remember what they did. And today, we need to impress upon the younger generation who the Real Role Models REALLY are.

I thank them for their service to Our Country and to the City of New York. It's because of guys like this, that the FDNY has become the Best Fire Department in the World.