S.S Sea Witch vs S.S Esso Brussels

Can’t remember if this was ever posted, but a comprehensive look at the incident from soup to nuts

I know at least one of our members responded to this job, but if anyone else did, feel free to share your experience.

Very impressive video, one I've never seen before.

I've always found this pic to be the most stark representation of just what the FDNY marine fleet was up against that night, and for a good portion of the early response it was Fire Fighter under the command of Lt. McKenna who faced it alone and then went above and beyond to save lives in the middle of the maelstrom. That's the Fighter on the far right.

VZ-Bridge-Fire-1973-2-757-600.jpg

My writeup on the event is here:

It is amazing I responded to this incident as a new fireman in Manhattan's Engine Company 27. E-27 WAS located on Franklyn St. in Lower Manhattans Lower West Side. E-27 was relocated to Brooklyn on the transmission of the 3rd Alarm for the Brooklyn side of this incident.
As we exited the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, we could plainly see the orange glow of the fire a few miles ahead of us under and near the Verrazano Bridge and narrows. I think a 5th Alarm was transmitted eventually in Brooklyn and also a Multiple Alarm for Staten Island the Verrazano Bridge that was endangered by water born fire. E-27 was sent before reaching the relocation unit to the area, of a then Korvettes Department Store, parking lot, on the Brooklyn Side of the endangered area. Water borne flaming Crude Oil was spreading and there was concern that it would spread under the parking lot that was built over the water on pilings. We found a hydrant and prepared our Stang monitor for use, but never had to use it. Engine 27 was closed in July of 1975, and I was Laid Off from the FDNY July 1st. 1975 and rehired in March of 1976. This fire on the surface of the Verrazzano Narrows was very large and it was the largest single body of fire I saw in my years with the FDNY or in the over 50 total years that I have been fighting fires. I really feared at the time if the fire had moved towards us, we could not have controlled it, even with the other units near us. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired