Satellite Numbering System

Does anyone know why the Satellite units in Brooklyn and the Bronx do not correspond to the numbering of the Rescue Companies? All the other boroughs correspond to the Rescues, and all the RAC units correspond to the Rescues (even though RAC 5 is with E242 on the Brooklyn side of the bridge), but stationed within Division 8 .

I would think the Bronx satellite with E72 would be numbered 3, and the first Brooklyn satellite with E284  would be 2. and not the other way around.

The Satellites were originally formed as part of the Super Pumper System.  There were originally only three:  Satellite 1 in lower Manhattan, Satellite 2 in the South Bronx and Satellite 3 in Bay Ridge Brooklyn.  They were not originally associated with parent engine companies and ran on all 2-2s in the city.  The Super Pumper and Super Tender generally responded on all 3-3s, but did have some 2-2 boxes in targeted areas of the city.  Whenever the Super Pumper responded, there were always two of the Satellites assigned.  Following the budget crunches in the mid to late 70s, the 3 original Satellites were paired with engine companies.  The Super Pumper was originally paired with Engine 207 in Brooklyn.  When the Super Pumper and Super Tender were eventually disbanded, Satellite 4 in Queens and Satellite 5 in Staten Island were formed as part of the new Maxi Water System, intended as a replacement for the Super Pumper System.  The Maxi Water Unit was located with Engine 207.  The Maxi Water Unit eventually became Satellite 6.  I guess with this evolution, it was just easier to leave the numbering the way it was rather than aligning them with the Rescues.  Hope this helps.

Thanks very much.  I certainly knew about the Superpumper system and that it had satellites, but didn't lnow thw original numbering system

jjflood, your contrubition to the Satalite Numbering system is greatly appreciated. I remember as those changes took place. "You know your stuff, guy". Thank You.

My father was a Lieutenant with the Super Pumper System and then with E. 207.  It runs in the family!

JJFLOOD said:
My father was a Lieutenant with the Super Pumper System and then with E. 207.  It runs in the family!

One of my Dads best friends worked at E207/L110 in the 'war years'

We use to have a John Flood at E274 in Flushing in the mid 50's - any relation?