SQ*1 '69 MACK R MODEL.

Lebby

Perk of being up so early is the ability to grab deals like this. When SQ*1 had this rig, had the other Squads already been shut down?

nfd2004

Perk of being up so early is the ability to grab deals like this. When SQ*1 had this rig, had the other Squads already been shut down?
Lebby, as I remember Squad 1 was established after the closing of Engine 212 at that firehouse in Brooklyn.

That had already taken place following the closing of the original Squad Cos, such as Squad 2 in the Bronx, that was used mainly for fire duty. Our site Administrator, John Bendick had worked Squad 2 during that time.

The Squad companies as we know them today, were NOT yet established.

With the closing of Engine 212, the firehouse became known as "The Peoples Firehouse". I believe that has been discussed on this site. At that point Squad 1 was established.

Following the Peoples Firehouse, the closing of Engine 41 was about to take place and there were public protest when they wanted to close that firehouse too. Hence became the establishment of Squad 41, during which time our site member Retired B/C Jack Kleehaas (68jk09) was a Lt there at the time.

I believe this Mack "R" was originally Engine 324 (?) before becoming Squad 1 and the only other similar Mack "R" pumper of that type was Engine 38 in the Bronx.

I'm sure there's guys on here that can contribute more to your question. I'm sure they can add to, or correct anything that will explain in better details than I have.