Tactical Support Unit Equipment

Y

YFDFireBuff.

Hey I'm Just Curious But Does Anyone Have A Rundown Of The Equipment That's Mounted On An FDNY Tactical Support Unit ?  Thanks.

A lot of lighting, generators, some type of boats I believe also. Not really familiar with TAC units. all I know is that the TAC unit is staffed by the one fiefighter who drives it.

I believe they also carry construction transits to monitor buildings/walls in jeopardy of collapsing.  They measure the angle of a wall and make sure the angle does not change.

HCO

Here is an excerpt from "Fire Department of New York --an Operational Reference" by Griffiths, and copied here with permission:

"2002 International 4800 4x4 Tactical Support Units have a 15-foot Saulsbury body and a weight rating of 35,000 pounds. Each has a front-mounted six-ton winch, 35 kW Onan electrical generator, 28-foot telescoping Will-Burt light tower with six 1500-watt lights that can be rotated and tilted, two removable tripod-mounted 1500-watt lights, a portable 3.5 kW generator, six portable 500-watt lights, and four portable handheld ?airport? spotlights.  An electric rewind reel has a 300-foot cable. TSU?s have an 18-hp gasoline-driven Stanley hydraulic system with five 25-foot lengths of line used to power the following:  70-pound pavement breaker, 14-inch cut-off saw for concrete and steel pipes and beams, diamond chain saw for concrete, stone, and brick, 15-, 20-, and 48-inch chain saws, six-foot pole chain saw, impact wrench, rotary hammer, and a 3.5 kW generator.  All but the latter two can be operated under water.  The concrete chain saw requires a pressurized water source. 

"These units carry a 12-foot folding ladder, portable gasoline-driven Humatro extrication tool, an automatic-level transit, Pomeroy two- and four-inch concrete drill, night-vision gear, spotting scope, and a Delstar audio/vibration detector.  A top-mounted six-person, Avon S-4 14-foot, inflatable solid hull boat with a 30 hp long-shaft outboard engine is handled with a 3,200 pound capacity rear-mounted crane supported by two rear tormentors.  A 15-person Switlik raft is carried, together with an immersion suit and two life vests."