Toronto Tower1

Bulldog

Bulldog
Interesting that the article says that these unit will be "stationed outside of the downtown fire station". You would think for a truck that cost as much as this does it would be stationed inside! Especially in the winter Toronto gets a lot of bad weather.

Interesting that the article says that these unit will be "stationed outside of the downtown fire station". You would think for a truck that cost as much as this does it would be stationed inside! Especially in the winter Toronto gets a lot of bad weather.
Right, even if just a pole barn or something, sounds ridiculous ... as in something should have been constructed before it was delivered, or was it a surprise? lol.

Remind me: When they get this contraption to the twenty-second floor, how are they gonna open the window? Or are they gonna just cup their hands around their faces and look in?

And if they are crazy enough to open the window, then what?

Open the window? Maybe an occupant already broke it out and are frantically waiting for a rescue, or fire fighter ( s ) would break the window, not open it, and do whatever they rose to said window to do.... just my uneducated guesses, but not sure. l mean, wouldn't it be similar to what a tower ladder crew would do at the eighth - tenth floor or however high they can reach?

The truck is stored indoors at Station 333 in the downtown core.

I wonder with the dimensions of the apparatus and its over-all weight will their be problems with determining response routes and its use or non availability at incidents.

Bulldog

Bulldog
When will FDNY or LA get one?
Your guess is probably as good as anyone else's! I did have one in NYC for a demo a couple of years ago around St. Patrick's, it was soon after the fire at Notre Dame in Paris.

Remember those 125 and 150 foot Calavar Firebirds and FDNY High Ladders? Like a faded movie star, where are they now? Ideas for high rise firefighting have been around as long as high rises have existed. They are usually seen in Popular Mechanics magazine.
What are the indications and procedures for taking a floor to ceiling high rise curtain window from a tower ladder basket on any floor?
High rise building occupants (I was on the 26th floor) are taught to shelter-in-place, or head for a smoke tower or pressurized stairwell.
Or...you could wait for Steve McQueen to blow the water tanks on the roof.