Tour Commander

Has the FDNY done away with the Citywide Tour Commander?  It use to be that after 17:00 Hrs.  One of the Staff Chiefs would be activated as the Citywide Tour Commander and would respond to multiple alarms and other major incidents.

BoroCall said:
Has the FDNY done away with the Citywide Tour Commander?  It use to be that after 17:00 Hrs.  One of the Staff Chiefs would be activated as the Citywide Tour Commander and would respond to multiple alarms and other major incidents.
Still in place every day.

68jk09 said:
BoroCall said:
Still in place every day.

Ok, so then, why would Car-6(Manhattan Borough Commander AC Roger Sakowich) and
Car-7(Brooklyn Borough Commander DAC Wayne Cartwright) Both responded to the BX 4th Alarm. 

Where was the Citywide Tour Commander or, was either C-6 or C-7 the Citywide Tour Commander? 

Citywide works a 24 hr tour.  I have zero flipping idea why all these guys are responding.  Most of them start work around 6am so if they are commuting they may respond.  Lord knows how the fires went out when we only had a deputy and three or four BCs at a multiple.  Why do we need 2-3 chiefs from SOC Bn alone??    Doesn?t matter how many SOC Chiefs, rescue won?t listen anyway ???
Seriously though, it?s freaking embarrassing.  Let the companies do their jobs. 

Citywide is 0700 to 0700. Boro commanders are 0700 to 1700(?). CWTC will cover Boro when commander is off.
4 star chief is supposed respond on 4th. (4th alarm chief). Right now, there are no full duty 4 stars. Two senior 3 stars (Manhattan Boro and not sure of other) are 4th alarm chief.  They are responding in addition to Boro or cwtc

enginecap said:
Citywide works a 24 hr tour.  I have zero flipping idea why all these guys are responding.  Most of them start work around 6am so if they are commuting they may respond.  Lord knows how the fires went out when we only had a deputy and three or four BCs at a multiple.  Why do we need 2-3 chiefs from SOC Bn alone??    Doesn?t matter how many SOC Chiefs, rescue won?t listen anyway ???
Seriously though, it?s freaking embarrassing.  Let the companies do their jobs.

We used to talk about there being a fire rectangle with the 4th side being chiefs. Remove the chief and the fire will go out. :)

There used to be a Citywide Tour Commander, from 17:00 to 08:00.  It would be a different Staff Chief each day, it may have been a Boro Commander, who was then a Citywide Tour Commander.

But, this was done for the 18:00 - 09:00 shift with a short overlap.  This was not a 24-hour Citywide Tour Commander.

manlt said:
Citywide is 0700 to 0700. Boro commanders are 0700 to 1700(?). CWTC will cover Boro when commander is off.
4 star chief is supposed respond on 4th. (4th alarm chief). Right now, there are no full duty 4 stars. Two senior 3 stars (Manhattan Boro and not sure of other) are 4th alarm chief.  They are responding in addition to Boro or cwtc

Is'nt Chief-In-Charge of Operations a 4-Star rank?

capthale said:
How do they rotate the Chiefs and who?s on the list

Each of the Boro Commander's take turns.  And when the Tour Commander is at a prolonged multi-alarm or incident, he/she orders the activation of the back-up/alternate Tour Commander - at least this is what used to be.

Actually, CWTC is a rotation among 11 staff Chiefs right now. Number does fluctuate. Has been this way for a long time. Borough commander takes care of his Boro if working. CWTC covers open borough or 2nd incident in a borough. 2 deputy chiefs a tour are listed as back up CWTC if needed (more for nights and weekends)

C

capthale

so does the tour commander also maintain his regular schedule And shift

manlt said:
Actually, CWTC is a rotation among 11 staff Chiefs right now. Number does fluctuate. Has been this way for a long time. Borough commander takes care of his Boro if working. CWTC covers open borough or 2nd incident in a borough. 2 deputy chiefs a tour are listed as back up CWTC if needed (more for nights and weekends)

It used to be that each Boro had a Boro Commander & a Dep. Boro Commander - and they would alternate day's off, so for any given day - one would always be on duty.  Also the Boro Commander or Dep. Boro Commander could be either a DAC or AC.  In those days there was no senior Dep. chief - all Div chief's were of the same level.

So, apparently the CityWide Tour Commander now used in a much different capacity.  The reason I asked in my initial posting, is that at night I've been hearing the different car #'s that are assigned to the different boro commanders responding to multiples - instead of the car # of the Citywide Tour Commander.  And in progress reports FC usually states by order of the car # and chief in charge of the fire - instead of saying by order of the Citywide Tour Commander and the chiefs name & rank.

Does anyone (Chief JK, maybe?) know if there's a Department Order or some official FD statement covering this question and the history behind it?

Wow, I?m exhausted reading about it.  It?s one more useless chief at the fire.  Here?s the deal.....CWTC changes every day.  It is a staff chief of some sort....he cannot be on light duty (lord knows why), and he responds whenever he feels like it for all intents and purposes.  His major role would be to talk with the media.  Hopefully he stays as far away as possible from CP

enginecap said:
Wow, I?m exhausted reading about it.  It?s one more useless chief at the fire.  Here?s the deal.....CWTC changes every day.  It is a staff chief of some sort....he cannot be on light duty (lord knows why), and he responds whenever he feels like it for all intents and purposes.  His major role would be to talk with the media.  Hopefully he stays as far away as possible from CP

LOL - Ok, so it has been changed from yesteryear.  Now, when two C's, lets say 6 & 7 go to the same job, do they flip a coin to determine who will be in charge?

I do remember very well seeing about a dozen white helmets at any one job - and looking at there front pieces to figure out it out! :-\

manhattan said:
Does anyone (Chief JK, maybe?) know if there's a Department Order or some official FD statement covering this question and the history behind it?
I was never at the level to be involved in being a Tour commander but even back when i was working it seemed the protocols changed from time to time...i don't ever remember a Dept Order on it  or saw other paper work on the subject....not to say that there wasn't any circulated on the Staff level.

68jk09 said:
manhattan said:
I was never at the level to be involved in being a Tour commander but even back when i was working it seemed the protocols changed from time to time...i don't ever remember a Dept Order on it  or saw other paper work on the subject....not to say that there wasn't any circulated on the Staff level.

Yes, when the Citywide Tour Commander set-up got underway, there were quite a few changes in the protocol over several months to a year or two - there were times when a HQ Staff chief would be the CTC and other times it would be a Boro Commander or Dep. Boro Commander - but the CTC would always be on the "night shift" 18:00 to 09:00 with the day shift being handled by the individual Boro Commander or Dep. Boro Commander of their respective boro.  Now if there was an extended operation during the day shift, and another incident occurred, then another boro commander or dep. would be SC from another boro.

Gee, I never dreamed that a simple question could generate so many responses.  Admittedly I am not nor have I ever been on the job in FDNY, so some may (perhaps rightly) say I have no right to offer this opinion, and I certainly do not mean to disparage any of the folks who have commented, but, with apologies to Scott Adams,

6ed.gif