Towers, Rear-Mounts, Tillers & Tillermen

How does FDNY determine which truck companies are assigned TL's, rear-mounts and tillers?
How do the chauffeur and tillerman coordinate their steering moves as their rig negotiates corners?
What truckman assignment is usually held by the tillerman on a TDA?

sandero said:
How does FDNY determine which truck companies are assigned TL's, rear-mounts and tillers?
How do the chauffeur and tillerman coordinate their steering moves as their rig negotiates corners?
What truckman assignment is usually held by the tillerman on a TDA?
The Assignment for the tiller man is the Roof man.

The Tillerman is the Outside Vent not the roof, the roofman is required to get the roof asap, the OV can wait a minute with the chauffeur if apparatus needs to be moved

mac8146 said:
The Tillerman is the Outside Vent not the roof, the roofman is required to get the roof asap, the OV can wait a minute with the chauffeur if apparatus needs to be moved
Ok , I've seen the roof man on the tiller assignment though.

I would imagine the Roof Man being assigned to the tiller only if the company is riding short, otherwise, and with a full crew, the OVM is always in the tiller.
As mac8146 stated the Roof Man is required to get to the roof ASAP.

FDNYBuff97 said:
mac8146 said:
Ok , I've seen the roof man on the tiller assignment though.
.....In todays world in the FDNY..... if  everything is going according to schedule....... the Tillerman has not been the ASSIGNED  Roofman since the late '40s/early '50s.....Yes the OV may wind up on the roof but he is not the assigned Roofman unless the Co. is riding short .....also one of the things you learn when Tillering is when pulling up to a Job you make sure the Tiller/trailer  wheels are in line w/the tractor/cab so if after getting down from the Tiller the Chauffeur can move the rig forward or backward a short distance if needed  w/out you. 

How the dept decides who gets what goes by the area....generally. There is usually 1 95' TL per division, and at least one 75' per BN....but NOT always! My old Bn does not have a TL, but there were 3 surrounding us.  Tillers, are in areas with very tight, narrow streets....and many old timers would like to see more.  My company had one until the early 70s, as did many of the compaines south of 14th ST, MN. 

As for coordination, theres an intercom they use to chat, but the Tillerman generally just goes with the flow and not much is needed to be said.

LosBomberos2811 said:
How the dept decides who gets what goes by the area....generally. There is usually 1 95' TL per division, and at least one 75' per BN....but NOT always! My old Bn does not have a TL, but there were 3 surrounding us.  Tillers, are in areas with very tight, narrow streets....and many old timers would like to see more.  My company had one until the early 70s, as did many of the compaines south of 14th ST, MN. 

As for coordination, theres an intercom they use to chat, but the Tillerman generally just goes with the flow and not much is needed to be said.
The 15 Battalion doesnt have a 75 footer , Only L39(100Ft rearmount) , L61(100Ft Rearmount) , L51(95Ft Aerialscope)

Yeah....thats why I said, "gernerally" and "not always.".......I am well aware of what the 15 and thier neighboors the 27 have. 

Its a general rule of thumb, some places have 2 Or 3 TLs, it had to do with the building types in a response area.