Tropical Storm "Isaias"

nfd2004

Many members of NYCFIRE.net have been affected by tropical storm "Isaias" along the east coast. Some are still without power and others felt the effects of serious water damage from this storm.

Our own site owner, Lt Tommy Bendick's area has been hard hit and power may not be back for a few more days yet. With Westchester County one of the hardest hit areas.

To our south, I believe our site member "raybrag" who lives in the Newport News, Va area took a direct hit.

Here in Connecticut it was mainly strong winds that has taken down trees and power lines. I know our member "signal 73" who lives in the New Haven area lost power and myself in the Eastern part of the state also lost power. Fortunately power was restored last evening just in time to catch the "Gettin Salty Experience" featuring our own "Johnny Gage".

At the Ole Homestead here in Eastern, Ct it was the wind damage. Thankful at my house, being surrounded by trees, only a few branches came down with NO Damage. But I sure do need to break into the bank and spend some $$$ to get some of those trees down before the next one.

I must give the Norwich Public Utilities as well as the Norwich Public Works at "Tip of the HAT" for doing a GREAT JOB in clearing our streets and working to get our power back. All part of those Frontline Workers that we had been talking about.

Here at the Ole' Homestead, just around the corner from me, a large tree came down on a vehicle while the driver was heading home from work. That large tree came down on the engine hood of the car and missed injuring him or maybe worse by about THREE FEET. I took a picture of it and I hope "signal73" can post it for me.
Going up the road the opposite way, two large trees took down Four Poles and two transformers. It was a mess of wires and tree branches down and those guys from the NPU and NPW did one GREAT Job in getting things together again.

Our site Administrator along with the Mrs were out camping at the time and had only minor damage.

As I understand it, pretty much everything to the west of I-287 was flood damage and everything east of that was wind damage.

I hope you guys are all okay and I can tell you, it sure is great to have power back again.

I'm going to try and send Brad, aka "signal73" a couple of pictures I took where the tree fell on the car with the driver escaping with No Injuries.

Signal73

Here are the pics Willy D asked me to post.

As he stated LT’s neighborhood took a beating and we have lost the radio feeds for now.

I myself totally under stand and am glad there is no injuries or structural damage (that I know of) to LT B’s homestead.

For the time being (being a highly contributing member to this fine website) will give it my best to keep everyone update with incidents that happen in the 5 boroughs of course with some help from a handful of highly contributing members as well. Unfortunately progress reports might be hard to add and the unit rundowns will be a shot in the dark (with help from others). But we will get it done.

I myself have switched over to listening to Boston while the feeds being down can be lengthy.

As Willy stated I did loose power for roughly 24 hours as well as my parents for a little under 48. I was lucky to be at work for most of the time.

Where I live in Hamden they responded to about 200 incidents from noon 8/4 to 18:00 8/5. Whitney Ave (a long stretch that goes from Downtown New Haven to the Hamden/Cheshire line) was still with out power the length of new Haven. Branford CT where my parents live and where my dad brother and my self volunteered for many many many years did well over 200+ calls (Dont have the number) and many areas of town still don’t have power.

903E3E44-74D3-4BDA-BF13-C05259324FE4.jpegE3A42092-2745-4CCF-86D3-C80CB49E4E11.jpeg

Attachments

raybrag

Uncle Willy was right . . . we were directly in the path of the storm, and the eye passed over us at around 7:30 Tuesday morning. We were without power until Wednesday night around 9 (thank god for backup generators . . . best money we ever spent). We have a lot of trees in our yard, and many more on the properties surrounding us. In particular, we have a 110 ft tall willow oak that sits 6 feet from our house. It lost 3 big limbs in the storm, tearing up our aluminum siding and knocking down 1/2 of our brick chimney. But considering the damage that others in our area have, we were very lucky. Our phone/TV/Internet was out until last night because a HUGE oak limb across the street took out the Verizon & Cox service lines (our electric is underground). The pic is of ONE of the limbs that came off our willow oak. FYI: the trunk of that tree is 44" across. at the band you see around it.IMG_2338.JPG

ta176

I was lucky with power only being out for 6 hours. People near me are still out and maybe another day or 2. I'm fortunate cause our power is underground, no trees to take down wires.

STAjo

My Sister is in a Nursing Home in Beacon, NY, (Dutchess Co.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beacon,_New_York

They were w/o Power for Several Hrs. (Emergency Power Only).
Then Partial Power for 24 hrs., then service restored to Almost Full for Several hr.s after that. GB All in Harm's Way, and Those Who Serve.

manhattan

My Sister is in a Nursing Home in Beacon, NY, (Dutchess Co.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beacon,_New_York

They were w/o Power for Several Hrs. (Emergency Power Only).
Then Partial Power for 24 hrs., then service restored to Almost Full for Several hr.s after that. GB All in Harm's Way, and Those Who Serve.
STAjo, prayers for your sister's, and your, safety and comfort. For all other Site Members, prayers for your - and those you hold dear - safety and comfort and a quick return of power and other essential services.