Unit Numbers

I've been out of NYC as a medic for a number of years now. My question is do unit numbers follow the battalion or the borough? Say for example a unit's CSL is in Ridgewood Queens (the old 44D area), this is a 28 battalion area. So does that unit have a 28 designation (IE. 28D) or does it have a Queens designation?

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
It goes by the fire battalion for the CSL.

So for example there is no EMS station 2 by they have units like 02B. Even with a ems station 55 there is no 55 units.

Kid  those were the fun days on 44 D out of the john ..we do remember those days very well.....Juniper park as the 97 or Mikes newsstand at Metro & Woodhaven.........I wish those days never ended.......

Wolf, the John's units were 44A at Juniper and 44C at Myrtle and Cooper. 44D was the NYC*EMS unit that covered Ridgewood. I agree those were some of the best days working there!

And going back even further, St. John's units were 433 and 434 when still dispatched by PD. Going way back when the hospital was at the original site on 44th drive in L.I.C. they were 340 and 341. When they became 433/434 it was when all units were renumbered. Man. units were ex:123, Bx. units were ex: 223, Brooklyn units were ex: 360, Queens units were all 400 series and last but not least, Staten Island was 500.

Memory.....There were numerous pictures of the old st. johns from the LIC days that were still hanging on the walls in a
dminstration....When the hospital closed I went on the prowl to find them ..A few staff people stayed along with security  remained till Nov of 2010....I was the last man standing since the new owner hired me and I stayed till Nov 2011, when I had the first of my five surgeries due to being injured the last week before it was sold.......
The pictures were of the horse driven ambulance and the thank you letter from Cary Grant when he was a patient....I stated at st johns in 1987 and made any friends that I truly miss.....

Yes you are correct with the designation numbers regarding the  st johns buses....

Thanks for the memories, memory...