Unusual Fire Truck Fire truck/ambulance combo

firebuffkevin

Active member
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
8,491
Fire truck/ambulance combo

Some departments around the world are using a fire truck and ambulance hybrids. The apparatus come equipped with a built-in ambulance in the middle, allowing crews to use just one vehcile to be prepared for a scene. The catch-all vehicle also comes with a special lift system for stretchers.

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/sltrib/news/54987518-78/fire-ambulance-vehicle-lift.html.csp
 

firebuffkevin

Active member
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
8,491
West Valley City UTAH

https://www.facebook.com/pg/WestValleyCityFire/about/?ref=page_internal
 

Bulldog

Bulldog
Joined
Apr 16, 2008
Messages
1,935
I see very few places where this would be a good use of resources.  You're taking a engine company that's worth at least 5 or 6 times the cost of an ambulance and putting additional mileage on it running back and forth to hospitals.  In the meantime you are also taking an engine company out of service for an extended period of time.  Even if you look at it for a rural situation I don't see its usefulness.  In that case you could argue that they run a very limited number of ambulance calls which is true but in most cases they have a much longer run to the hospital so additional where would be put on the engine as well as a resource would be lost in the event of a fire in the home district.  Note that most rural departments don't have many backup engine companies available to handle calls.

To me it seems like a idea that sounds good on paper but falls way short in reality.
 

TLTruckie

Active member
Joined
Jul 9, 2013
Messages
175
And what do you do when that eng/amb is first due at a fire and hooked to a hydrant and pumping and you need a ambulance ?
 

68jk09

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
13,964
TLTruckie said:
And what do you do when that eng/amb is first due at a fire and hooked to a hydrant and pumping and you need a ambulance ?
Exactly.
 

Disp51

Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2009
Messages
233
On a positive note, with all that extra room inside, it would be a great place for relief on a cold winter night.
 

raybrag

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 1, 2007
Messages
2,737
Disp51 said:
On a positive note, with all that extra room inside, it would be a great place for relief on a cold winter night.

Maybe so, but a heated rehab tent would be a lot cheaper.
 

68jk09

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
13,964
raybrag said:
Disp51 said:
On a positive note, with all that extra room inside, it would be a great place for relief on a cold winter night.

Maybe so, but a heated rehab tent would be a lot cheaper.
NYC Transit Bus's used for this & very plentiful.
 
Top