Upcoming News and Review of Nycfire.net

nfd2004

Members of Nycfire.net, "Thank you for making this web site what it is". Without "your" contributions, it wouldn't be what it is today.

I do have some news to pass onto you.

Recently, this site owner, FDNY Lt Tommy Bendick, has been looking into a new web site server (I guess that's what it's called). He feels that this is a very good move in the right direction. Both myself, Joe Materia, "mack", and Tommy haver been working together to make sure that everything is working properly until the time comes to put it into use.

Tommy, tells us that when that does happen, it will be necessary to shut down the site for about one day. When that time is approaching, we will give everybody plenty of advanced notice. The new site will be set up similar to our current one as we have today. Tommy has offered both myself and Joe a "practice site" and I had no trouble working with it. We posted practice links, replies, new topics, etc with no difficulties.

I am also told that the new site will be somewhat more expensive to run. But Lt Bendick is willing to absorb that added cost himself at "No Cost to us". I hope that he can put some ads on it to help recover that cost.

So that should be happening in the near future. I might add for those who may not be aware, Lt Bendick has worked with the FDNYs Chiefs and members when it comes to radios and computers within the dept. along with his duties as a Lt in the Bronx. He has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to that topic.

Lt Bendick has given us this site and I think ALL of us are very THANKFUL for it.

NOW - Let's take a look at the numbers:

OUR MOST VALUABLE PLAYER - Mike Dick, aka "mikeindabronx" has posted almost 25,000 post. He is currently at 24,567 as of May 19, 2020. In addition to that he post for us "DC Jonas Division 7 Newsletter". A newsletter written by a very knowledgeable FDNY Deputy Chief. A Chief that spends hours of research hoping that todays firefighters and officers will learn from the past.

Thank you Mike for taking the time for us and all that you do.

In addition to that, of course "mack" is back. His earlier postings of the original "FDNY + NYC FIREHOUSES and Fire Companies" reached 1,181,791 views as of this date. Then he followed with "FDNY + NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd section". He was also joined by "fdhistorian", aka Iggy Kapalczunski, who provided us with more history of FDNY companies. That 2nd section has now reached over 241,000 views. Almost One and a Half MILLION views combined.

Another very valuable member has been "Johnny Gage", aka Dan Potter. Dan has provided us with the very popular topics of:
  Glory Days - started on March 24, 20219 now with almost 197,000 views. 
  Vintage FDNY War Lids - started on April 15, 2019 now with over 265,000 views
  Throwback Thursdays - started on August 19, 2019 now with over 67,000 views.

For a TOTAL of about 529,000 views. All within about One Years Time. Thanks Dan. The stories you write are GREAT. Also an "amazing accomplishment" on all those pictures you post in FDNY War Lids and Throwback Thursdays.

We Thank the contributors who list the jobs and rundowns of incidents throughout NYC and other places as well. Also guys who have contributed their wealth of fire dept history, as well as the current events of goings on and how things are being handled.

We are made up of people from all walks of life. From Active and Retired Firefighters, EMTs/Medics, Dispatchers, Military Members, Police Officers, and Buffs. All together having the same interest.

Of course without Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick and his son Lt Tommy Bendick, we wouldn't be here now. So a BIG THANK YOU for all you do for us.

memory master

A hearty pat on the back and many thanks to all involved. Stay well, stay safe and God Bless!

raybrag

Thanks for the info, Bill. I look forward to the upgrade. And to Lt Tommy,

To Joe, AKA "Mack",

To Mike, who never leaves the Bronx, and Johnny Gage,

And lastly, to Uncle Willy, who provides me with the juice to keep on living just by being himself, 

mikeindabronx

I would also like to thank all the members who share their knowledge with the rest of us

fdce54

Uncle Wilfred, you forgot to mention me. I'm the guy that keeps you honest and on your toes. And most importantly, I keep your head from getting too swollen, although lately that is a difficult full time job........

68jk09

A big THANK YOU to the Bendick family for making ... as well as keeping this great site going.

JohnnyGage

Thank you Bendick and Company! This site has a wealth of wonderful historic information that cannot be found anywhere else. Thank you for allowing me to share my stories and have a little fun with the other threads and special thanks for all you do to keep this marvelous site up and running!

JohnnyGage

johnd248

Thanks to the Bendicks and one and all who make interesting posts.  The site ROCKS!

1261Truckie

Thank you to the Bendicks for all you do for us and thanks to all those who contribute their stories and memories.

69 METS

John ("Buffy") and his lovely bride Madeline did a great job raising their family.

nfd2004

Let's take a look at our latest numbers

First of course - OUR MOST VALUABLE PLAYER Award goes to Mike Dick, aka "mikeindabronx", for his many, many contributions to this site. From the FDNY rundowns, to the major incidents from Sea to Shining Sea, East Coast to West Coast and all across the World.
In addition to his monthly contributions of the D.C. Jona's Newsletter, sharing the stories and details of some of the FDNYs most major incidents.

A "Tip of the Hat" to you Mike, for all you have done here for us.
Big Hugs,
Your Uncle Wilfred

Then we would like to mention our major contributor who has taken the time to post this sites MOST Popular Viewed Thread(s).
Of course I am referring to my good friend, Joe Materia, aka "mack".
What a TREMONDOUS JOB he has done in each story of the many FDNY Firehouses and Fire Companies, which includes the First Series running from February, 2012 to December, 2017. We believe it was closed due to site space at the time.
That First FDNY Firehouses and Fire Companies story in the History section of this web site has now totaled:

OVER - ONE MILLION VIEWS.

Then we look at the latest numbers for the FDNY Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd section, and we see Over 269,000 views since it's beginning days of January, 2017. That in addition to the Over One Million Views.

As we continue within our History section, we find Dan Potters, aka "Johnny Gage's, stories of "Glory Days". There we follow the life of Retired FDNY Firefighter Dan Potters very interesting start as a volunteer firefighter and his riding with his Uncle Jack as he is invited to ride with the busiest fire company in the world. Back to the days of the South Bronx very famous Ladder Co 31.
As so many of us enjoy reading, Dan takes us through his "GORY" NYC-EMS career days, the very busy DCFD, aka the Washington, D.C. Fire Dept., then to the FDNY working in some of the FDNYs busiest fire companies Eng 88/Lad 38, Lad 112, Lad 5, Lad 31.
Since the "Glory Days" beginning about a year and a half ago in May, 2019, there has been OVER 211,000 views on that.
Of course Dan has also written the very popular treads here of "Vintage FDNY War Lids" and "Throwback Thursdays" both of which have done very well on their own.

We also add to these very popular threads, "My Younger Buff Years", in which so many have contributed their stories, photos and videos from the FDNY busiest days of fire activity that had ever been seen in the history of the fire service, of course now referred to as "The FDNY War Years". So busy that there are a collection of books written about it and some documentaries done on it as well.

Those very popular FDNY threads need to be archived into the entire history of the FDNY for future generations to see and read about.

Of course THANK You to all those that continue to keep us all updated on the fires and incidents throughout the FDNY as well as elsewhere. You guys certainly do a GREAT JOB and your contributions here are "GREATLY APPRECIATED".

Every morning, I look forward to going on here to catch up on the latest posted by the members here. Then I always try to keep up several times a day besides.
This site has also introduced me to some of the BEST People out there who just seem to have "the Same Interest as I do". That of the FDNY as the fire service.
I sure wish I could name everybody because as I see it; "You Guys are TOP SHELF". I just wish I knew some of you 20, 30, or even 40 years ago.

The reality of the Entire Story though DIDN'T All Begin until TWO Guys started it all. Of course I am referring to Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick and his son, FDNY Lt Tommy Bendick. For those of us who know them personally, "We will ALL testify that they are some GREAT GUYS who are into the job".

Now, as this Labor Day, 2020 is about to begin, Please have a Safe and Enjoyable Holiday Weekend. Not only will traffic be heavy and use caution driving BUT so too like NEVER BEFORE, we ALL Must follow the safety guidelines put forth in an effort to protect us from the deadly Coronavirus.
So Enjoy it, but please just be careful out there.

To those Frontline Workers who must work like our nurses, doctors, hospital staff, police officers, firefighters, EMTs/Medics, truck drivers and delivery personal, food suppliers, farmers, shippers, Our Military, store clerks, and so many others; "WE HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN YOU". YOU are HEROES that WE ALL DEPEND ON EVERY DAY.

THANK YOU ALL and PLEASE BE SAFE.

Last edited: