VERY SAD NEWS FOR THE BENDICK FAMILY

nfd2004

It is with much sadness that I pass onto the membership here of the sudden death of Tara Bendick Ocskasy, the daughter of Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick (our site administrator) and the sister to FDNY Lt Tommy Bendick (the site owner).

Tara, age 54, (Johns oldest daughter) passed away at work in her office on Tuesday morning August 18th. As I understand it Tara didn't feel well and went out to sit in her car at which time she passed away.

Tara is also the mother of John "T" who is now working in the FDNY/EMS assigned to Station 19 in the Bronx. The former quarters of FDNY Engine 75/Ladder 33/Batt 19. Where his grandfather John Sr once worked as a firefighter.

This of course is a terrible loss and shock to both John and his wife Madeline, as well as John "T" within their very large family. I believe John and Madeline have SIX grown children, Sixteen grandchildren (?) and two great grandchildren. In addition to Tommy, one of his sons is also a firefighter in the Passaic, NJ Fire Dept.

Both Tara and her son John "T", as well as another son, nicknamed John "A" live at their home in Yonkers.

The last time I saw Tara was at a surprise birthday party given by John and Madeline at their home for my now 96 year old buff buddy, Ken Kelly in February just before the coronavirus kicked in around the NYC area. Both myself and Kenny had no idea of that surprise birthday party coming. But that's the kind of people John and Madeline are. They are GREAT people and those of us who know John and Madeline join in their loss.

This morning John contacted me and said it would be okay to post this. Earlier I had asked John if there was a charity or if we could help with the expenses during this very difficult time. He asked me to contact "Lebby", (Phil Dancey) on this site as he suggested we make a donation to something that would benefit the FDNY/EMS, as Tara's son John T is a part of that.

Lebby got right back to me (Thank you very much Phillip) with a fund raiser that benefits FDNY/EMS workers during their time of need. That fund raiser is:

www.emsfdnyhelpfund.com

Also as I understand it, John also suggested St Judes Children's Hospital as another donation to consider in Tara's name.

Services will be held today and tomorrow at;
Whalen and Bell Funeral Home
160 Park Ave
Yonkers, NY

On Saturday morning at a private Catholic Church service will be held at Sacred Heart Church in Yonkers

Please keep John and Madeline, along with their many family members in your prayers. Being a very religious family I know they would appreciate that.

Tara, "May you Rest in Peace" and I am Very Thankful that I have had the privilege of meeting you and knowing your WONDERFUL FAMILY

Our Condolences go out to John and Madeline, as well as their entire family.

Last edited:

raybrag

My sincere condolences to John, Tommy, John H and the entire Bendick & Ocskasy clans on Tara's passing. I'll be praying for all of you. Made a donation to the EMS fund in Tara's name.

memory master

May God Bless you Tara and rest in peace. Heartfelt condolences to the entire Bendick family and may God send you comfort in this trying time. God Bless you all.

68jk09

Extremely sad news....God please take Tara in your care & please watch over the Families here on earth.

JohnnyGage

With deepest sympathy to your family as you remember Tara and wishing you peace and comfort during this difficult time.

STAjo

May Tara Rest In God's Eternal Peace and Grace.

God Bless Those Who Mourn. May They Too, Know God's Comfort, Grace and Peace

IRISH

Very sorry to hear this awful news. My thoughts are with the entire Bendict family at this time. May Tara RIP

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dilis

fltpara16

Prayers for John, Maddie, John T., Tommy, John L., and the rest of the wonderful Bendick family. May Tara Rest in Eternal Peace.

t123ken

Rest in peace to Tara and condolences to her family and friends suffering from her tragic loss.