War Years Dispatchers

bklyndisp54

Denizens of (mostly) the Brooklyn C.O. 

async

(L-R) SFAD Roy J., FAD's Newt T., Stan F., David R., Warren F., Tony L., Al T., Clinton W.

nfd2004

I'm sure those guys could tell a few stories. Not only did they work during the busiest time in History, but without the use of computers. Just pencil and paper. Everyone of them certainly deserve a "pat on the back" for a job well done. They are the behind the scene heros.

johnd248

Steve "Whitefish" Ternlund was a dispatcher back then and is now Battalion Commander of the 41st Battalion in Flatbush.  I also remember Steve Klein, Larry Franks, Dan Buckley, Newt, Waaaah, Bob LePage, and many others from the Brooklyn CO.

bklyndisp54

That little gathering was pretty much for the members of "Group 5". Our friends Newt & Wah are also in the photo.  Up until around the 80's dispatchers worked a 3 platoon 5 group system.**  Missing from the photo of group 5 were Miltie W., Frank M., and Vinnie D. (who is now an FDNY medical officer).  Vinnie could not attend due to the BIOPOD activities scheduled for the day of the dinner.

It's hard for us to imagine that we sat there eating and drinking our way through 2 Fifth Alarms, a Third, a couple of Seconds and all sorts of other craziness.  "Back then" all the food would have been left on the table getting cold.  ;) 

** The uniformed force got a "72", but we had a "96".  Woo hoo!

68jk09

Great photo.....looking at it is like walking into Empire Blvd many years ago.....some lifelong friends there that i still enjoy getting together with.......PS..."Whitefish" is the last Member still on the Job that  worked in LAD*108 back when we were on Siegel St.

nfd2004

I remember my visit to Empire Blvd back around 1975. Maybe it was some of these guys that were so busy, nobody even had a chance to talk. I stood there for about an hour just watching. I went into that dispatch center amazed, and left to be antonished. Whether it was Group 5, or 1,2,3, or 4, I'm sure it was all the same.
  You guys did one Great Job. If you ask me, enjoy your retirement. You sure earned it.

FDNY150

I am honored to have been trained by Wah, and worked for both Al T and David-David.