War Years Photos

Thought I'd post some photos I've either found online or have received from various sources of the FDNY War Years. If anyone wants to add their own photos of the War Years, please feel free to do so.

The following pictures were taken by Ira Hoffman, a young photographer who rode along with the 44 Battalion in Brooklyn from 1969-1971. These photos were taken in '70. They're really some fantastic shots. Credit and copyright goes to Ira Hoffman. The photos were posted with permission on the Fire Buff Patrol forums.

http://firebuffpatrol.createaforum.com/fdny-war-years/ira-hoffman's-the-war-years/

http://firebuffpatrol.createaforum.com/fdny-war-years/ira-hoffman's-the-war-years/15/

http://firebuffpatrol.createaforum.com/fdny-war-years/ira-hoffman's-the-war-years-1970/

BCR

The sixth picture you posted is amazing, it just goes to show how frequent these fires were. That the kids are playing basketball while a six story building is burning to the ground behind them. Can you imagine that today, I mean a trash can smoldering draws a crowd with iPhones to video and take pictures

BCR, that photo I got from Willy D. (nfd2004), but I don't know who took it.

It really is an amazing shot. A picture like that makes you truly realize how commonplace fires were back then. Even a good job with maybe multiple rooms off drew only a small crowd, and neighborhood kids would rather continue their game than watch an everyday occurrence like a fire.

Plus, most fires like this never made the paper and they were handled (most times) with 2 & 2. Today, a room and contents fire or even one on the exterior of someone's house, porch, or deck gets attention from the news media and a fire like the one in the photo would at least bring A/H if not a 2nd Alarm.

Emmett "fdny1075k", the pictures are great that you have posted. Thank you for helping to preserve that time in the history.

We look at them now and it is unbelievable the amount of fire these guys faced. Often times maybe 2 and 2 because there was nobody else to respond. I once remember a battalion chief or aide giving a report, of an all hands fire. He said; "We're using all hands". "We have fire out of 5, 8, maybe 40 windows". He gave that calm report like he was reading the newspaper. No screaming, no yelling, and that's what he used - ALL HANDS. (3 and 2 plus the Rescue)

mack

Administrator
Great pictures.

"All hands" fires frequently did not have a Rescue - because they were not assigned or not available (usual case).

Not only did fires like these draw no observers, they never made the TV news and never made the newspapers.  No one cared.

EXCELLENT HISTORY SHOTS.... Thanks for posting & Thanks to those who originally took them....i recognize some of them....counting down from the start of this thread..the 2nd picture down is LAD*124 arriving 1st Due @ the famous "Bushwick Fire" which started on the site that is now the 83 Precint it involved numerous bldgs on several blocks & happened  shortly after "The Blackout" in '77 on an afternoon that the temp reached 104 degrees ..FF Barry (The Smile) Feeney was the Chauf & got burned repositioning the rig as the plexiglass side window & plastic lenses melted....Jim (Lord Jim) Ellson Sr. was the  LT continued RIP to both  ..............the 3rd picture has the tip of ENG*310s Squirt just starting water......the 23rd picture down from the top  also from '76/'77 shows 108/216 on South 1st St off Union Av..w/back to bldg is Joe Abruzzo then LT in 108...FF kneeling w/line facing camera is Ed Murphy RIP FF 216....the Chief is Frank Reynolds (35 yrs OTJ then) BN*35.......... the 30th picture taken in '77 shows R*2 ..on the turntable w/the saw is Frank Hauber..next is Mike Memolo..in the street wearing/the "Golden Fleece" (test coat) is Jimmy Lopez next to him is John Mitchell. 

68jk09 said:
EXCELLENT HISTORY SHOTS.... Thanks for posting & Thanks to those who originally took them....i recognize some of them....counting down from the start of this thread..the 2nd picture down is LAD*124 arriving 1st Due @ the famous "Bushwick Fire" which started on the site that is now the 83 Precint it involved numerous bldgs on several blocks & happened  shortly after "The Blackout" in '77 on an afternoon that the temp reached 104 degrees ..FF Barry (The Smile) Feeney was the Chauf & got burned repositioning the rig as the plexiglass side window & plastic lenses melted....Jim (Lord Jim) Ellson Sr. was the  LT continued RIP to both  ..............the 3rd picture has the tip of ENG*310s Squirt just starting water......the 23rd picture down from the top  also from '76/'77 shows 108/216 on South 1st St off Union Av..w/back to bldg is Joe Abruzzo then LT in 108...FF kneeling w/line facing camera is Ed Murphy RIP FF 216....the Chief is Frank Reynolds (35 yrs OTJ then) BN*35.......... the 30th picture taken in '77 shows R*2 ..on the turntable w/the saw is Frank Hauber..next is Mike Memolo..in the street wearing/the "Golden Fleece" (test coat) is Jimmy Lopez next to him is John Mitchell.

Would that be R-3's Capt.Ellson's father

mikeindabronx said:
68jk09 said:

Would that be R-3's Capt.Ellson's father

Yes it is.

The 7th picture is Box 1658, Chester St & East New York Ave, 10/2/1970.  Complete article and photos in WNYF 4/1970.

Lad 124 with 1960-62 ALF was first due, acting L120; and L119 with C model Tower was special called.

That is great "811" that you can remember those details of that fire. And now that you mention it as being in WNYF, "I remember it too and I believe I have that issue". Although I guess with that much fire, it's pretty hard to forget.

Thank you for the info.

Some photos off of Facebook from the War Years era of Engine 290/Ladder 103, a.k.a. "POSA" (Pride of Sheffield Ave.) From the War Years to the present day, Brooklyn's Engine 290/Ladder 103 firehouse has been one of the busiest for runs and fire duty in the FDNY.