Water Rescue Assignment

Structural Assignment, plus, Rescue, Squad(depending on where it is), one or two boats depending on where it is, BN, RB, SB, Tac. If it is obvious this will be out of reach of land units, just the boat. One of the units assigned, Engine or Truck depending on where is assigned as water rescue unit.

If Rescue puts divers in the water, a second rescue is assigned to back them up.

Just recently amended, any reported floater(DOA in the water) receives a full water rescue assignment.

I'll use the 79St Boat Basin as an example. Engines 74, 40, 23, Ladders 25 (Water Rescue) 35, Battalion 11, R-1, Tac-1, SB, RB, Marine 1 and Marine 1A. If R-1 puts divers in, R-4 is coming in as a back up.

Thanks "FDNY 150", that helps me too.

So many changes lately. Last SOP for dispatching I remember was DRBs. I've sure lost track of who gets what now.

Back on track. "Thank you "150"

Well put FDNY 150. Just a correction...L-35 would be water rescue for the boat basin. L-25 is SOC support but not water rescue...You have L-21 to the south & L-22 to the north also water rescue trucks in the area.

Thanks 150. Absolutely fascinating the kind of resources FDNY has and how fast they can deply them.

Of course, unbeknownst to any of us is why we have to send out thousands of pounds of apparatus burning dozens of gallons of diesel running lights and sirens to a dead body in the water when all you need is a boat and a gaff.

All units have now received basic water rescue equipment. 2 life vests to be worn over gear, throw rope, and caps to inflate a 2 1/2 line to float in the water.

FD347 said:
Of course, unbeknownst to any of us is why we have to send out thousands of pounds of apparatus burning dozens of gallons of diesel running lights and sirens to a dead body in the water when all you need is a boat and a gaff.

The reason that the job treats it as a true emergency is that frequently by the time the info goes through the 911 operators there's no way of knowing for sure whether it's a floater, a drowning, a person in distress or an emergency the likes of the Titanic disaster. So we respond to every emergency as if they are real until an F.D.N.Y. unit arrives and finds out first hand what it is that is going on. When lives are potentially on the line, it's always easier to send the companies back to quarters after finding out they aren't required than to not have them on the way and find out they were needed...

Code:
So we respond to every emergency as if they are real until an F.D.N.Y. unit arrives

So you can justify sending 2x2 (with 1x1 on a 10-20) to a gas leak or an alarm activation but have to send 2x2+rescue, tac, rescue battalion, safety battalion and 2 boats at full speed, lights and siren to a floater? Someone's priorities are all wrong but this is getting off topic.

Speaking of Water Rescues, I noticed this weekend that E161 is now carrying a surf board on top of their cab on the driver's side. ;)