Who will be the new Chief of Department

Car-4 Chief of Fire Operations John Sudnik is filling in for the time being

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-metro-fdny-james-leonard-fired-20181206-story.html

FDNY Chief of Department James Leonard relieved of duties over 'inappropriate behavior,' will fight for his job: sources

FYI:
https://abc7ny.com/society/fdny-chief-relieved-of-duties-amid-investigation/4847080

nfd2004 said:
I would wonder who would want it after the recent event that occurred.
Exactly!  Add further the debacle that happened a few days ago at OEM with the unknown certain firing of its department commissioner originally by a deputy mayor while the mayor was in a meeting away from the state to the known confirmed firing of him.  Should Leonard be removed permanently from the COD position the next person would inevitably hold the position for at best 3 years [the duration left for this mayor.]  Any fire officer would be crazy to take the position with what would be an amped-up FDC who knows she got a prior COD removed.  How would that COD look at the FDC?, how would they act?, plus what thrill would bring one knowing you were elevated due to some FDC who has the backing of the mayor favoring her over the department's own cmsr. enough to allow them the COD to run the rank and file with some degree of strictness?

I wonder if the hatchet men/women doing the canning's took a page from this playbook ?... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMOfQwywMg

Quick Question Re Aides

What happens to COD Leonards Aides?

Do they drive someone else whilst he's "relieved of duties"

No one should be worried about what happens to the aides....Yeeesh.  They are FF?s making an excessive salary.....they will land on their feet.  I?d like to see them get sent back to the firehouse nd see if they can survive on MMOT

enginecap said:
No one should be worried about what happens to the aides....Yeeesh.  They are FF?s making an excessive salary.....they will land on their feet.  I?d like to see them get sent back to the firehouse nd see if they can survive on MMOT

Not worried about them enginecap was just interested to know what happens them

In Ireland Chiefs don't have Aides and in my time following FDNY I've never seen a COD "relieved of duties" so wasn't sure what happens them ?

enginecap said:
"Survive on MMOT." It's a heck of a lot better than FDNY EMS pay that's for sure.

IRISH said:
Quick Question Re Aides

Irish, at one time staff chief's and the COD had light duty firefighters driving them. I'm not sure if this is still the case. Many good guys (we call them 'Brother Firefighters') who suffered from serious line of duty injuries or illness were able to stay on the job by working in these assignments. It's also worth noting that some Battalion Aides as well as a Safety Battalion Aide were killed on 9/11/01 in the line of duty. A Battalion Aide was killed in the Walbaum's fire in 1978 and I'm sure there were others who made the supreme sacrifice during the long and great history of the FDNY.

69 METS said:
IRISH said:
Quick Question Re Aides

Irish, at one time staff chief's and the COD had light duty firefighters driving them. I'm not sure if this is still the case. Many good guys (we call them 'Brother Firefighters') who suffered from serious line of duty injuries or illness were able to stay on the job by working in these assignments. It's also worth noting that some Battalion Aides as well as a Safety Battalion Aide were killed on 9/11/01 in the line of duty. A Battalion Aide was killed in the Walbaum's fire in 1978 and I'm sure there were others who made the supreme sacrifice during the long and great history of the FDNY.

Thank you 69METS for explaining that to member ?Irish?.

I can also tell you that site member Irish comes all the way over from Ireland once a year to visit some members of this site.

He is also highly respected by many members here as well as many members of the FDNY. He has the highest respect for ALL firefighters and fire depts.

Thank you ?69METS? for explaining the answer to his question as well as to others who may have also wanted to know.

Who will be kept on or go to another assignment is basically up to the incoming COD as it should be.....as far as Irish who asked the original question i can not say enough about him as a Friend & Fire Service Supporter....i as many other contributors on here look forward to getting together with him during our Annual October get togethers here in NY.

mack

Administrator
69 METS said:
IRISH said:
Quick Question Re Aides

An aide was also one of the 12 members killed in the 23rd Street Fire.  Often, aides have been the first firefighter arriving with the chief before units and have performed life-saving acts.

Always good to see our Irish colleague on our site, Dec, always with good questions as well as excellent fire photography.

One of the first things Leo Stapleton did when appointed  Boston FD Commissioner was the restoration of the District Chiefs aides which had been removed in 1981. Chicago Battalion chiefs have no aides.

nfd2004 said:
69 METS said:
IRISH said:
Quick Question Re Aides

Thank you 69METS for explaining that to member ?Irish?.

I can also tell you that site member Irish comes all the way over from Ireland once a year to visit some members of this site.

He is also highly respected by many members here as well as many members of the FDNY. He has the highest respect for ALL firefighters and fire depts.

Thank you ?69METS? for explaining the answer to his question as well as to others who may have also wanted to know.

My pleasure Willy. I know that Irish is friends with many of the top shelf brothers on this site (you included). I wanted to make sure that he got the correct answer to his question and also wanted to insure that he wasn't left with the wrong impression about brother firefighters who are currently or who have been assigned in the past as chief's aides.

IRISH said:
enginecap said:

Not worried about them enginecap was just interested to know what happens them

In Ireland Chiefs don't have Aides and in my time following FDNY I've never seen a COD "relieved of duties" so wasn't sure what happens them ?
Ok....so Irish, this is what will prob happen:
The next COD will bring in someone who is already driving him or someone that he likes to work with.  Leonard?s aide, if he?s light duty will prob be on fast track to retirement before his overtime nosedives.  If he is full duty, he may retire or he may find another tit job