4/23/24 Brooklyn 4th Alarm Box 2865

I work a few blocks away on 71st and I went out to take a look. They had their hands full there but a great job of keeping it just to those 2 buildings. Not easy streets to work on.

Again, these Batt FFs have to be educated. Exp. 4 was NOT an alley. It was a similar detached. Anything less than 30 ft. is considered an exposure. If the Alley was Exp.4 then the fire communicated past #4 to 4A. Somone please write a chief's Aide manual and putt the communications manual as an appendix.
According to rundown by HC7, 42Bn transmitted a 2nd alarm & reported fire had extended to exp.4 across the alley. No mention of alley being exp.4, unless missed by HC7.

HC7

According to rundown by HC7, 42Bn transmitted a 2nd alarm & reported fire had extended to exp.4 across the alley. No mention of alley being exp.4, unless missed by HC7.
Yes, but afterwards when he gave the report with exposures he reported it as an alley.. as posted.

I don’t see that in your rundown, maybe somehow missing it. I only see FC reporting fire in cockloft of exposure 4, a detached private dwelling & subsequent report citing exposure 4 likewise.
Maybe Bn initially reported it wrong, but I don’t see it posted & haven’t heard any radio transmissions, yet. Might clear it up.

I would never try to in any way to question the toughness or bravery of our brothers in Brooklyn. I just try to give another idea of tactics that may be used in advanced fires. The Underwriters Labatories and other agencies are testing, other attack methods for these advanced fires. The average dwelling unit has 1,300 LBS or more in synthetics. These are not your grandparents' fires anymore. We need to look at other options in terms of how we attack these fires. I know L-172 is a Tower Ladder what I don't know yet is when was the Tower ladder supplies with water. I was raised in Flatbush Brooklyn and Buffed there many years before being appointed to the FDNY in Jan. 1973. These building have always been a fire problem once they have an advanced fire upon arrival. Hit window bars with the maul in the middle of the bar and they wilk bend and often break loose from the anchor points. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

HC7

I heard that too.

I heard that too.
Negative, The First "Progress" Report From B42 Was The 2nd Alarm & Extension To Exposure 4. @13:14

Only Thing Before That Is When B42 Requested An Extra 1&1 For Window Bars.

I Just Played It Back To Double Check.

Last edited:

HC7

I don’t see that in your rundown, maybe somehow missing it. I only see FC reporting fire in cockloft of exposure 4, a detached private dwelling & subsequent report citing exposure 4 likewise.
Maybe Bn initially reported it wrong, but I don’t see it posted & haven’t heard any radio transmissions, yet. Might clear it up.
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 11.40.28 PM.png

What is up with the OOS first due companies as of late? Rarely saw that before, some weeks back E-242 was OOS. should've been first due to a job a few blocks from the house, I think most recently E-9 in Manhattan ? and 330 today ?

What is up with the OOS first due companies as of late? Rarely saw that before, some weeks back E-242 was OOS. should've been first due to a job a few blocks from the house, I think most recently E-9 in Manhattan ? and 330 today ?
Medicals

1713939530309.png

First due companies missing work for any multitude of reasons happens quite often.
Medicals, education day, training, etc..
Really is something