5/1/24 Brooklyn 5th Alarm Box 0835

Car-4 ( Chief of Operations)
Car-4A (Assistant Chief of Operations)
Car 11 (Chief of Special Operations Command)
Car 11F (Foam Operations)
Car-12 (Chief of Safety Command AC)
Car 12B (Safety Liaison BC)
Car-15 (Chief of Training AC)
Car-22C (Fleet Director
Car 24 (Director of Technical Services)
Car 24A (Deputy Director of Technical Services)
Car 32 (Medical Officer Bronx & Manhattan)
Can add Car-2(First Deputy Fire Commissioner)

So just an observation and thought. In the excellent videos provided by Skylerfire and Grogan Fire, during the early stages of this job, Ladders 175, 176 and 112 appear to have gotten into the box first, taking up the 1 and 4 sides of the fire building. All were sticks and not tower ladders. It happens and sometimes can't be avoided. The fire was well involved in a deep commercial building. In the 70's the STANGS came off the rigs and were set up on the sidewalks for greater GPM with greater reach. In the 50's and 60's it was 1000 pound (jk) multiversal came off the roof of the cab or up top. Then the tower ladders became the predominant fire killer in these situations, get the bucket down to the street level and work the stand in the bucket all over the inside. But what happens when you can't get a tower ladder(s) in position to do that? The Blitzfire is a great tool for accomplishing this and has been rapidly gaining acceptance by Battalion and Division Chiefs. Unfortunately they are only carried on select specialty units such as squads and Haz Mat. I think the ultimate goal should be to provide every engine company in the city with one. However, because it would cost about $750,000 to do that immediately, maybe slowly adding them to an engine in each Battalion, or throughout each borough, much like HR nozzles and Cockloft nozzles were introduced. A Blitzfire can flow 350-500 GPM and can be operated by a single firefighter once it is set up and placed. It puts a high caliber, high impact fire stream down low allowing deep penetration into these type of occupancies without having to work the nozzle reaction of a 2-1/2" line. In other words, working smarter, not harder while producing more punch. Stay safe
Regarding Blitzfire nozzle: Does it really provide the same punch as a Stang or a Multiversal or is it preferred due to manuverability and one man/ women operation ? I think the pump connected deck gun would pack more punch or maybe a Blitzfire nozzle with two inlets.

RCL

Regarding Blitzfire nozzle: Does it really provide the same punch as a Stang or a Multiversal or is it preferred due to manuverability and one man/ women operation ? I think the pump connected deck gun would pack more punch or maybe a Blitzfire nozzle with two inlets.
All of the above but it's opinion based. The Elkhart RAM and the Blizfire are basically the same thing just 2 different makers. My experience comes from the RAM.
It really comes down to a few different things. Towers on average can support roughly 1000 gpms. Sometimes up to 1500. Depends on a bunch of factors, including pipe size, friction loss, nozzle etc. I'd say on average FDNYs towers lob about 750 gpms, just judging on the stack tips they use. Towers are limited by their length, and obstructions like trees, overhang other rigs....
Deck guns either on a rig or their portable bases can dump up to 2000 gpms, again based on their nozzle. They have a lot of the same limitations like position trees, etc. They are typically pretty heavy if you take them off the rig and make them portable. I believe in a portable state FDNY calls it a multiversal. The portable deck gun we had on our rigs, with its base and siamese probably weighed close to 100 pounds. Maybe 75ish with a just the base and single 5 inch store connection. No hose.

RAMs and Blitzfires typically flow up to 500 gpms. Based on their nozzles, friction loss....They are a lot lighter and a lot easier to maneuver around a scene or obstacles. Typically they are fed by 1 2.5" or in our case a 1 3" line. Vs a 4 inch line or 2 2.5s for the multi. When you compare a Blitzfire or RAM to the average attack line, the BF flowing 500 gpms, vs a 2.5 flowing maybe 300 gpms,( ours flowed 285 gpms as an example in a smooth bore configuratiin) delivers a bigger punch and requires less manpower to use it. 1 person or 2 can handle a BF vs 3 to 4 for 2.5. Min of 2 to make a BF or RAM effective. Plus the newer versions oscillate so you can set it and forget it. They still need to have their portable legs opened up in stationary mode and the down side is if you move it or use it as an attack nozzle, the legs are awkward unless you fold them in to move it. Their also a lot lighter then a multiversal.

The Blitzfire does not provide the punch of a Stang or Multiversal. The Stangs and Multiversals typically came with tips that could provide 600, 800 and 1000 GPM. The Blitzfire and the Elkhart RAM both Flow 350-500 depending on the pressure pumped to it. So they become an intermediate tool between a 2-1/2” and Stangs and Multiversals. They are also very maneuverable if you shut it down and reposition it. Basically the same effort to move it around as you would a standard 2-1-2” line. Again tools in the tool box for various situations. Nothing beats a tower ladder bucket brought down to the sidewalk to kick a fires ass in a row of taxpayers or a commercial occupancy/ warehouse. But there are places , we’ve all seen them were we would love to get heavier caliber streams on the 2,3,or 4 side of a single story fire building, but tower ladder access is impossible due to civilian trucks parked on site, construction materials, rolling dumpsters, and quite simply an many cases narrow alleys between buildings. In these cases a Blitzfire might be useful.

Are the Blitz Fire Monitors only carried on the engines/squads or are they also on the second pieces as well? I thought I saw a previous post saying they were on the second piece. I may have misread the other post.
The previous post was about the second due engine, the second engine assigned to the incident.

All of the above but it's opinion based. The Elkhart RAM and the Blizfire are basically the same thing just 2 different makers. My experience comes from the RAM.
It really comes down to a few different things. Towers on average can support roughly 1000 gpms. Sometimes up to 1500. Depends on a bunch of factors, including pipe size, friction loss, nozzle etc. I'd say on average FDNYs towers lob about 750 gpms, just judging on the stack tips they use. Towers are limited by their length, and obstructions like trees, overhang other rigs....
Deck guns either on a rig or their portable bases can dump up to 2000 gpms, again based on their nozzle. They have a lot of the same limitations like position trees, etc. They are typically pretty heavy if you take them off the rig and make them portable. I believe in a portable state FDNY calls it a multiversal. The portable deck gun we had on our rigs, with its base and siamese probably weighed close to 100 pounds. Maybe 75ish with a just the base and single 5 inch store connection. No hose.

RAMs and Blitzfires typically flow up to 500 gpms. Based on their nozzles, friction loss....They are a lot lighter and a lot easier to maneuver around a scene or obstacles. Typically they are fed by 1 2.5" or in our case a 1 3" line. Vs a 4 inch line or 2 2.5s for the multi. When you compare a Blitzfire or RAM to the average attack line, the BF flowing 500 gpms, vs a 2.5 flowing maybe 300 gpms,( ours flowed 285 gpms as an example in a smooth bore configuratiin) delivers a bigger punch and requires less manpower to use it. 1 person or 2 can handle a BF vs 3 to 4 for 2.5. Min of 2 to make a BF or RAM effective. Plus the newer versions oscillate so you can set it and forget it. They still need to have their portable legs opened up in stationary mode and the down side is if you move it or use it as an attack nozzle, the legs are awkward unless you fold them in to move it. Their also a lot lighter then a multiversal.
Well presented RCL. Also TFT makes a beautiful lightweight two piece 1250 GPM ground monitor called the crossfire. Nice to have tools in the tool box and options.

slyg: I did not mean previous post on this fire, I meant a previous post altogether where a Blitz Fire Monitor was used & someone asked what it was. But I believe the post said it was carried on the second pieces, not the frontline rigs so I was a little confused.

RCL

Well presented RCL. Also TFT makes a beautiful lightweight two piece 1250 GPM ground monitor called the crossfire. Nice to have tools in the tool box and options.
Thank you. I'm amazed at some of the newer materials that are coming out and their weights. One of the first things I did when I went career was to get on as many committees as I could and educated myself on what was new.