EARLY IRON.

I had a 1964 Dodge Lancer that had the push button tranny . . . bought it in '71 after getting back to the states to have something to drive while waiting for my primary car to make it back to the US. Paid $300 for it. There was no way that thing would go more than 43 mph. Which was OK . . . except that we needed to go 170 miles on Texas highways to get where we were going. Must have been 5,000 cars and trucks that went sailing past us . . . but we made it.

The top row were the selector push buttons for all but PARK which was the horizontal lever similar to a heater selector.... https://www.curbsideclassic.com/aut...pushbutton-automatic-a-government-conspiracy/. ....... my '64 Dodge Wagon had them lined up like the link above .... other manufacturers had them in a vertical arrangement & some were on the right of the steering wheel & others on the left ....my 2021 GMC truck today has buttons (now electronic) in a horizontal row right above the console in an awkward spot easily blocked by containers in the cup holders...some other GM models have then vertical more up on the dash away from the console & more in your line of sight also some GMs have a shifter sticking up from the console also taking up space....nothing is as convenient & simple & close at hand as a shift lever on the column within a few inches of your hand & with the indicator just below your forward facing normal driving line of sight..... JMO

Last edited:
The '70s Chevy Cars had a 225 CI motor.......'70s Chevy & GMC 3/4 Ton Trucks had the 292 CI motor which was more heavy duty (for a Six Cylinder) & there were aftermarket parts available like bigger Carb's & Headers etc to boost the 292 up.