FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section

mack

Administrator
ENGINE 232/TCU 732/LADDER 175 PRE-FABRICATED FIREHOUSE 266 ROCKAWAY AVENUE EAST NEW YORK, BROOKLYN DIVISION 15, BATTALION 55 "TIN HOUSE" "BMA"

MEDAL - LADDER 176 "TIN HOUSE" 1975-1987

JAMES A. BURKE FF. LAD. 176 OCT. 7, 1981 1982 JOHNSTON

BURKE.jpg

MEDAL DAY 1982

MEDAL DAY 1982.jpg

mack

Administrator
ENGINE 232/TCU 732/LADDER 175 PRE-FABRICATED FIREHOUSE 266 ROCKAWAY AVENUE EAST NEW YORK, BROOKLYN DIVISION 15, BATTALION 55 "TIN HOUSE" "BMA"

KEVIN W. DONNELLY FF. LAD. 176 1982 CONRAN

DONNELLY.jpg

LODD - WTC SEPTEMBER 11, 2001

1604827362717.png

1604827176287.png
September 11, Eleven Years Later: A Tribute to My Uncle and the FDNY
SEPTEMBER 11, 2012 BY GUEST CONTRIBUTOR.

Sean Donnelly’s uncle, Kevin Donnelly, was a lieutenant in the FDNY’s Ladder 3 Company and was killed in the North Tower of the World Trade Center on 9/11/2001, after climbing 60 floors trying to save everyone he could. Eleven years after that tragic day, Sean reflects on his uncle’s heroism and sacrifice:

Lt. Kevin W. Donnelly was among the Ladder Company 3 firefighters killed while trying to rescue others from the World Trade Center in New York City on September 11, 2001.

The question, “Where were you on 9/11?” is echoing throughout America this week. Well, I can describe every minute of that day, and the following week as well.

That’s because my uncle, Lieutenant Kevin W. Donnelly of Ladder Company 3 of the Fire Department of New York, was on shift for 24 hours before his shift ended at 9:00 a.m. the morning of September 11, 2001. However, the first hijacked plane hit the North Tower of the World Trade Center between shifts. My uncle, along with many in the FDNY who were off-duty, decided that he couldn’t miss the fire of the year; there were too many who needed rescuing to go home and rest.

Kevin, or KD as we all called him, caught a taxi with his gear and made it up to the 60th floor of the North Tower before heading back down the stairs after the South Tower collapsed. We have heard from survivors that Kevin was able to make it all the way down to the 15th floor before stopping to help more people who needed to be rescued. The last words we know he spoke were to a firefighter in Ladder Company 5, who told him “Hey, we’ve got orders to get out!” Kevin replied, “Go ahead, I’ll catch up as soon as I finish helping these women.” Kevin – as well as 11 other firemen from Ladder 3, the most of any company in the FDNY – never made it out.

That right there describes the kind of man my uncle was. It is no wonder why he received three department medals and 21 citations for acts of bravery. (There are only ten department medals given out a year and many firemen never receive one. Kevin had three.) His fellow firemen told us he was just a couple months short of achieving “captain.” KD was truly a great man, and he chose the ultimate sacrifice. As I reflect on the evil events of eleven years ago that took my uncle’s life, I don’t always cry because I miss him. I cry because of what I can’t miss, for all the memories we could’ve had. I cry for all the stories I hear from my family, because I wish I had more stories like that. I was 12 years old that fateful day – the youngest of four boys – so I have significantly fewer memories of KD than the rest of my family.

Sean’s father, Ed Donnelly, says his brother, Kevin, “was an unbelievably tough guy … pound-for-pound, he was the toughest human being alive but the nicest human being alive.”

The days following September 11th were very hard for my family. We constantly called the hotline, relatives, and friends to get updates. We tried to hold each other together as best we could. I hoped he was still alive because I knew that if anyone could survive, Uncle Kevin could. It took about a week before I finally realized he wasn’t coming back. I couldn’t imagine that somewhere beneath the piles of steel was my uncle.

At that time, my family and I could only hope that we got some of him back.

In October 2001, we held a memorial service for Kevin. Before the memorial we were fortunate enough to go to “Ground Zero” in New York City. Not behind the fences or walls of missing persons, but we were actually there at the site itself. I bent over and picked up a rock, a small representation of my uncle to me. It was all I had. At the memorial, I held it tight in my hand the whole time.

The next couple of months were rough, especially for my dad, who was KD’s brother. For Christmas that year, my brother Eddy made memory calendars with pictures of various events that involved each person with KD so we could always remember. One of the most special things I have received in memory of KD, though, is the bracelet I wear almost every day.

A Memorial Service was held for Lt. Donnelly on Oct. 6, 2001. His body was found on March 12, 2002 and he was buried at the Holy Rood Cemetery in Westbury on March 18, 2002, the day after St. Patty’s Day, his favorite holiday.

On March 11, 2002, it was my mom’s birthday — the 6-month anniversary of 9/11. The next morning, my dad received a phone call from New York and came right upstairs to wake me up.

“KD is home,” he said as he looked into my eyes. When I heard these words, my eyes filled with tears of both sadness and joy. I was happy his body was found intact but it was at that moment I realized my uncle was truly gone.

When we had the funeral in late March, I brought my rock and rubbed it against his casket. Over 5,000 people showed up to the funeral to give their respect to my uncle. When we got to the cemetery, the mournful sound of the bagpipes pierced our hearts. I kept saying, “Good-bye KD” in my head during the burial and I finally said one good-bye, out loud, with my family.

On the one-year anniversary of September 11, we let the local fire department fly the flag from KD’s casket. My school classmates and friends came to the firehouse to support our family by singing “God Bless America.” The following years, we decided to do less, because we didn’t want to experience the pain again. Some 9/11 anniversaries, I’ve simply given my dad a call. That was all that either of us needed, to realize we were thinking about Kevin. Last year, on the 10th anniversary, my family went to New York. We spent time with Ladder 3 and with other family members of the 12 firemen lost from that company. My uncle’s fire truck was on display at the memorial site as well and has a permanent place at the museum.

When Sean was a student at Georgia Tech, he helped organize an American flag memorial display which consisted of 2,977 flags, one to represent each life that was taken during the 9/11 terrorist attacks. “The flags are a poignant gesture, and my uncle would be proud to see that students set them up on campus every year,” said Sean.

Eleven years later, I still remember my mom bringing me lunch on September 11, 2001 and telling me that Uncle Kevin was one of the 343 missing firemen. My uncle was a hero on 9/11, but he was a hero to my family and I long before that terrible day, long before his medals. KD was always a hero to us and he still is. I’m proud to wear my FDNY shirt and I’m proud that I can say that Kevin Donnelly was my uncle. I have carried his prayer card with a picture of him in my wallet for eleven years. I’ve worn my bracelet whenever I can, I’ve have had the same FDNY shirt since then, too. So in a way, he’s still been with me.

It is a privilege to be able to share my story – Kevin’s story – and I’m grateful for all those who faithfully recognize the anniversary of September 11th year after year. To the children who make cards for their local firehouses, the college students who set up American flag displays on their campuses, and others who take the time to engage in thoughtful and patriotic gestures, you would all be my uncle Kevin’s heroes. We should never forget that day, because it is too easy to forget as the years go on. We should not forget that there are also 2,976 other stories to be told.

K DONNELLY.jpg

RIP. NEVER FORGET.

Last edited:

mack

Administrator

ANTHONY J. ADAMO CAPT. LAD. 176 MAR. 21, 1982 1983 UFOA

ADAMO UFO.jpg

MEDAL DAY 1983

MEDAL DAY 1983.jpg

mack

Administrator

MICHAEL PAGANO FF. LAD. 176 SEP. 4, 1982 1983 LA GUARDIA

PAGANO.jpg

mack

Administrator

JAMES A. BURKE FF. LAD. 176 NOV. 15, 1986 1987 KRIDEL

BURKE KRIDEL.jpg

mack

Administrator

TIMOTHY M. DONOVAN FF. LAD. 176 JUN. 5, 1986 1987 BROOKLYN CITIZENS

DONOVAN BC.jpg

mack

Administrator

TIN HOUSE HOCKEY

E 232 HOCKEY.jpg

ENGINE 232 DISBANDED

In 1988, the Koch administration closed Engine 232 in Brooklyn on Super Bowl Sunday. Engine 232 was called to relocate to Engine 207. When they returned to their firehouse, there was a padlock on the door.

1988 TIN HOUSE CLOSED.jpg

1988 TIN HOUSE.jpg

VACANT TIN HOUSE

tin_house (1).jpg

Last edited:

mack

Administrator

MAYOR GIULIANI AND FIRE COMMISSIONER VON ESSEN CUT RIBBON TO OPEN BROOKLYN'S FIRST NEW EMS STATION

Archives of the Mayor's Press Office
Date: Monday, December 7, 1998

The 'Tin House' - Former Home of FDNY's Engine Company 232 - Reopens To Serve The Brownsville Community

Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani and Fire Commissioner Thomas Von Essen today cut the ribbon officially opening Brooklyn's first new EMS Station, FDNY/EMS Battalion 44, at 266 Rockaway Avenue in Brownsville. Also on hand for the celebration was Brooklyn Borough President Howard Golden.

"Today is a great day for the people of Brooklyn," said Mayor Giuliani. "As we celebrate the reopening of the Tin House, following its unceremonious closing ten years ago, we also pay tribute to the men and women who will provide emergency medical services to the residents of Brownsville.

"Each day emergency medical technicians risk their lives when they respond to New Yorkers' calls for help. And for this we are grateful. Since the Fire Department and EMS merged two years ago, EMS response times have fallen significantly and now, more than ever, EMS is using its resources very efficiently. I want to congratulate all of you on your new station house and thank you again for your service to the people of New York City," the Mayor concluded.

During halftime of Super Bowl XXII on January 31, 1988, Engine Company 232 -- also known as the Tin House -- received a call to cover for another Brooklyn engine company that had allegedly been called out to a fire. Later that evening, the firefighters returned and were met by a large contingent of FDNY Chiefs, fire marshals and police officers -- only to discover that their firehouse was being closed. It was subsequently discovered that the earlier alarm had been a ploy to get them out of the building so it could be closed.

Fire Commissioner Von Essen said, "This station is the seventh of what we hope will be additional community-based EMS stations throughout the City. This facility will not only act as a home base for the Fire Department medical personnel in this area, but will serve as a neighborhood symbol of dedication, pride and commitment to the men and women who work here, as well as to the members of the community."

Brooklyn Borough President Golden said, "I am pleased that after more than ten years, this building will return to service as a neighborhood ambulance station which will reduce response times for medical emergencies in Brownsville and the surrounding area. I am pleased that Mayor Giuliani and Commissioner Von Essen also realize the true value of the 'Tin House' - not as a piece of property, but as a life-saving facility."

Due to the deteriorating conditions of the original prefabricated tin structure, the Tin House building was almost completely demolished during the $1,062,627 year-long renovation, by the City Department of Design and Construction, which left only steel girders and one wall standing. The new station is now home to six EMS units - four Basic Life Support and two Advanced Life Support units. The station will also contain training facilities for the 80 men and women assigned to the station.

EMS 44 2.jpg

EMS 44 3.jpg

EMS 44 4.jpg

EMS 44 1.jpg

Last edited:

mack

Administrator

map.jpg

mack

Administrator

P 3.jpg

P 6.jpg

nyc-fdny-engine-232-ladder-176-bronx_1_aca77a93f68937289d1493e4bbd56f5e (1).jpg

E 232 (3).jpg

ladder_176_head.jpg

P11.jpg

1604830194987.png

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN.

Last edited:

266 ROCKAWAY AVENUE - TIN HOUSE 1971-1988

View attachment 9288

View attachment 9289

View attachment 9290

I'm guessing that it was maybe around 1973-1974 that both myself and my buff buddy Bill Bernhard, aka "BFD151" on here (Both of us Wanna Be's) just wanted to go inside that "portable metal firehouse" just to see what it was like inside.
I said to my buff buddy, Bill B., who I called: "Willy B", - "Willy let's ask if we can go inside just to take a look around to see what it's like in there.

Willy agreed and we walked up and knocked on the door to see if somebody could show us around. Sure enough and ALL the guys treated us GREAT. They were getting the evening meal ready and they wanted us to join them. Of course, "how could we refuse". BUT, as soon as we sat down, it started. They asked us if we wanted to ride and again, "how could we refuse". My buddy "Willy B" rode the Engine, and I rode the Truck.

WHAT A NIGHT IT WAS. I think we might have gotten back to the firehouse three times for a short break. There was Job after Job and 2 or 3 runs in between, back to back, before we could get back to the firehouse.

At the end of the night, finally, Two "exhausted" young Wanna Be's get back to the firehouse about 8 am or so after being out all night. The sun was rising in the sky and I just wanted to get a quick picture of all the guys from that night that treated us so Great. It would be the "perfect shot" with all the guys lined up in front of that firehouse. They all go out there for a company photo and I go across the street and yell over, "I'll take the picture on the count of three".

"All set guys, One, Two, Three" and I snap the picture. On the count of THREE they ALL turned around and gave me a "moon shot". Right there on busy Rockaway Ave. What a CLASSIC. Somewhere I think I still have that picture and I made a 5 x 7 of it and framed it to put on Willy Ds Buff Wall of photos.

Of course it could NOT be done today. But back in those Busy FDNY War Years, the few breaks those guys got and whatever fun time together they could get, "they sure deserved it".

As I read "macks" stories about that firehouse, I also remember our good friend Jack O'Riley, aka "JOR176", who I believe spent a lot of time with those guys. Jack of course worked for the FDNY as a civilian assigned to maintain the pull boxes throughout the city. We lost Jack, "JOR176", a little while ago. Jack also saw combat in the Viet Nam War and received the Purple Heart for his combat related injuries.

mack

Administrator
SQUAD 7

Squad 7 organized 136 Wythe Avenue at Engine 212 1959
Squad 7 moved 43 Morgan Avenue at Engine 237 1964
Squad 7 disbanded to form Engine 232 1966

Squad 7 1961 International.jpg

Sq 7.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Mack. Two great companies. 176 still here, 232 gone but not forgotten. Some 280 guys went over to 232/176 when they got promoted and, of course, as Willy pointed out JOR176 (RIP) was a Tin House guy.

Jimmy Burke 176 (who is shown above in two separate Medal Day photos later made LT & was a guy we had hoped to get as a LT in R*2....he did not get the spot that was open at the time but we hoped maybe he would get the next one down the road....sadly he died of a heart attack at 51 yrs of age while shoveling snow at his home.

Mike Pagano shown above in a Medal Day photo was the first Chauffer that drove me when I was covering in 176...his Dad had also been OTJ... his Dad just Passed To A Higher Level last year.......Tim Donovan also pictured above in a Medal Day photo was a FF in 176 also back then in '87....he years later went to DV*15 as a DV*FF & just RET last year.....the Tin House a great place.

ENGINE 232 (MARINE) BERTH N 8TH STREET EAST RIVER MARINE DIVISION

FIREBOAT DAVID A. BOODY

View attachment 9259

View attachment 9260

View attachment 9261

FIREBOAT ABRAM S HEWITT

Abram S. Hewitt was Mayor of NYC from 1887-1888. He was known as "Father of the NYC Subway System" for his sound sound and innovative funding and construction plans.
View attachment 9275

FIREBOAT

View attachment 9276

View attachment 9277

View attachment 9278

View attachment 9279

View attachment 9280

View attachment 9281

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

According to some accounts, she was the first fireboat called to the 1904 burning of the General Slocum, where over a thousand people lost their lives. Other accounts say the Zophar Mills was the first fireboat to be dispatched.

On August 14, 1913, a fire was discovered at a large oil storage yard, on what was then Long Island City, and the Abram S. Hewitt was sent to try to put it out. While extinguishing the fire her "bow gun", her frontmost water cannon, burst from her footings, flying into the air, and striking Bertram Johnson, the firefighter assigned to it. He was declared dead, at the scene.

On January 28, 1927, the Abram S. Hewitt's captain, John Connoly, was jolted into the Hudson River by a collision. Although he was burdened by heavy fire equipment he was able to swim to a barge, where he clung to a boathook lowered to him by a crew member. It took the Abram S. Hewitt half an hour to return and rescue him, because it was damaged by the collision.

On April 29, 1930, the Abram S. Hewitt responded when Cornelius Vanderbilt III's luxurious yacht, the Winchester, was set ablaze following a boiler explosion.

The Abram S. Hewitt was called to assist other fireboats when a large fire burst out of control a second time. The fire burst out at Pier 4. Barrels of flammable liquids had destroyed the pier, and two neighboring piers, but firefighters thought the blaze had been brought under control. However, when it burst out again the Abram S. Hewitt was better suited to navigate through debris, close to the fire.

The Abram S. Hewitt was eventually taken to the Staten Island boat graveyard.

A photo of the Abram S. Hewitt in the Staten Island Graveyard:

The remains of the boat can be seen at the foot of Rossville Avenue in Staten Island just 2 short blocks from E168/EMS B23 quarters.