New London/Groton, Ct Gasoline Tanker/Car accident fire 4/21/23

A gasoline tanker roll over with fire and cars involved has closed down I-95 in both directions on the Gold Star Bridge between New London and Groton Ct.
Incident came in approximately 11:30 am with the busy I-95 in both directions expected to be closed down for several hours
Numerous departments have responded.

Video from the scene

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLjgyK_0p-w

From Alertpage:

2ND ALARM GROTON , CT - RTE 95 SB @ EXIT 86 - CREWS FROM GROTON AND NEW LONDON HAVE TT TANKER ROLLOVER AND FIRE. 2ND ALARM BOTH CITIES. REQUEST FOR FOAM TRAILERS

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 26
I-95 Northbound now reopened. Command reports all fire on and below the bridge has been extinguished; holding all units. For those who do not know the area, the Gold Star Bridge is actually two spans: one northbound and the other southbound. Each has 4-5 lanes of traffic. Very difficult to circumnavigate anytime the bridge has to be closed.

A gasoline tanker roll over with fire and cars involved has closed down I-95 in both directions on the Gold Star Bridge between New London and Groton Ct.
Incident came in approximately 11:30 am with the busy I-95 in both directions expected to be closed down for several hours
Numerous departments have responded.

Video from the scene

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLjgyK_0p-w

The tanker was carrying fuel oil, not gasoline

If anyone has a contact in the area, I would be interested in hearing how they coordinated the response.
Fuel oil burning, a second fire under the bridge, haz-mat runoff, and probably water issues!

If anyone has a contact in the area, I would be interested in hearing how they coordinated the response.
Fuel oil burning, a second fire under the bridge, haz-mat runoff, and probably water issues!
The Gold Star Bridge is the longest bridge in the state (6,000 feet). The Thames River is the city limits between the City of New London and the City of Groton (which is a borough of the Town of Groton). Responses on the bridge are always a joint response between the New London FD (16 personnel per shift and the City of Groton FD (4 or 5 per shift). Groton responds south bound and New London responds north bound. The day of the oil truck incident, it is my understanding that Groton City FD was already on another assignment, therefore the initial response to the incident was New London FD and Poquonnock Bridge FD, which is another fire district in Groton with 5-6 personnel per shift. New London responded with 3 engines, 1 tower ladder, 1 NLFD ambulance and a Battalion Chief. Poquonnock Bridge responded with an engine and truck.

New London's Chief of Department also responded and could see the incident from NLFD HQ. Around the same time, Groton Fire Alarm was also taking calls for fires under the bridge, as a result of oil on fire running down the storm drains to the ground below. The incident took place on the bridge, but over land, not too far from a propane facility that has a few large above ground tanks, in addition to propane rails cars. Basically, the scene was split into two sectors, the bridge and the area below along Fairview Avenue. The NLFD chief ran operations on the bridge, while the Groton City Deputy Chief commanded the area under the bridge. A 2nd alarm was transmitted in New London, which brings in two off duty shifts. Callback personnel covered the city with a spare engine, spare tractor drawn aerial, spare ambulance and spare BC car.

Foam was applied to the oil fire on the bridge. Water is always a concern on the bridge and tankers were requested and did respond to supply water to engine companies. Marine units were also called to investigate oil that made its way into the Thames River. There is a regional marine group in this part of CT, made up of FD, PD, USCG, DEEP and other marine assets. They are dispatched by Groton Fire Alarm via Everbridge. Most of the fire was knocked down and contained within about 20-25 minutes. State DOT and DEEP obviously responded to take care of the spill and to assess the bridge structure. A foam unit was also requested from the Groton-New London airport but was not used.

Most of the traffic issues were in Groton, but the fact that the southbound bridge was closed, impacts New London's mutual aid, which relies heavily on Groton units for any working fires. The Submarine Base FD provides a FAST unit for all fires in New London and Poquonnock Bridge FD provides a mutual aid ladder company on all 2nd alarms.

The area where this incident occurred is right where the Amtrak Northeast Corridor, Genessee & Wyoming Railroad, and Interstate 95 all converge. Additionally, a US Navy submarine was traveling in the Thames River right around the same time as the incident. The United States Submarine Base New London facility is only about 2 miles north of the incident, so obviously they were watching this incident closely and Submarine Base Fire Department units responded to assist with firefighting and hazmat. I don't have a rundown of all units that responded, but I will try to get one.

I know that tankers responded from North Stonington and Ashaway, RI. Ashaway had quite a time trying to get through stalled traffic on I-95. State Police closed I-95 at Exit 88 with the result that four lanes of traffic had to exit on a one lane exit ramp.

Just Monday morning quarter backing here, but I am very surprised that this bridge does not have a Dry Standpipe System like so many other large bridges do, including here in parts of Connecticut and certainly what you see when crossing the large bridges of NYC.

Using tankers is manpower intensive, time consuming, and as stated about, due to stopped or redirected traffic, they may be delayed or may not even get there when needed.

Just Monday morning quarter backing here, but I am very surprised that this bridge does not have a Dry Standpipe System like so many other large bridges do, including here in parts of Connecticut and certainly what you see when crossing the large bridges of NYC.

Using tankers is manpower intensive, time consuming, and as stated about, due to stopped or redirected traffic, they may be delayed or may not even get there when needed.
I agree Willy. Ironically, the Amtrak bridge below does have a standpipe.