old school leather helmets

chiefblackcloud, what company does it matter that I was assigned to?  All I was saying is that I was put on a truck.  Are you implying that I was probably put in a s#$t company.

I would like to add my 2 cents in.First of all the n5a leather helmet is not meet nfpa standards the n6a sam houston does or i would be using mine.My volunteer company does not allow its firefighters to use thier own gear and my career department will not let us use anythink that is not nfpa compliant.As of for the gay from north hudson,nj.How can tou take the test for the fdny when you dont even live in the city or new york for that matter?Also if you do make it to proby school you dont have much to say you are there to learn how to do your job not decide what company you want to go to they will tell you what company you go to As for going to a rescue or squad company you wont even think of being on a rescue for at least 7 years.So as an old school firefighter and an officer get though proby school and learn how to fight fire for a couple years then you can have a say so in where you go from there.As i tell probys in my company keep your eyes and ears open and your big mouths shut and learn in a few years you can voice your oppinion.

dillondotcom said:
chiefblackcloud, what company does it matter that I was assigned to?  All I was saying is that I was put on a truck.  Are you implying that I was probably put in a s#$t company.

It does matter .  I would rather be  in a good engine than a truck that is a camp.

Tougher to get into a busy engine than a slow truck.

116ff60 said:
I would like to add my 2 cents in.First of all the n5a leather helmet is not meet nfpa standards the n6a sam houston does or i would be using mine.My volunteer company does not allow its firefighters to use thier own gear and my career department will not let us use anythink that is not nfpa compliant.As of for the gay from north hudson,nj.How can tou take the test for the fdny when you dont even live in the city or new york for that matter?Also if you do make it to proby school you dont have much to say you are there to learn how to do your job not decide what company you want to go to they will tell you what company you go to As for going to a rescue or squad company you wont even think of being on a rescue for at least 7 years.So as an old school firefighter and an officer get though proby school and learn how to fight fire for a couple years then you can have a say so in where you go from there.As i tell probys in my company keep your eyes and ears open and your big mouths shut and learn in a few years you can voice your oppinion.

Actually anyone that is a U.S. citizen can take the test (alot of the FDNY guys aren't NY natives). Also you can get into a Rescue with less than 7 years on the job. If you're a good firefighter and the Captain picks you out of all the guys he interviews you got the job. I agree though become a good firefighter before you decide anything, getting in the Department is a hard enough task.

Anesti is right.You are are a fire fighter because of the love you have for the job.I have been a volunteer fighter for 20 years now following in my dads foot steps and a career fire fighter for 5 years.I love my job and as i always tell my wife how many people do you know that get up in the morning and look forward to going to work and really wants to be there.Our shift starts at 8am and all the guys on my shift are there by 7am so that should say alot when you want to get to work an hour early.

Here in CT (this happened a number of years ago) the local Town Coucil of one of our esteemed communities decided that leather helmets for their volunteer organization were simply too expensive.  Not wanting to change, the chief simply took a plastic helmet, froze the helmet in the department's deep freezer for about six hours and then conveyed the frozen helemt to the next regular council meeting.  he had is 15 minutes of fame - took the frozen helemt and whacked it against the cinder block wall at town hall.  Needless to say, the helmet shattered into a multitude of pieces.  The chief then took a standard helmet and did the same thing.  His point was understtod.  Leather helmets are still purchased today.

I love my leather helmet only because I can take the ratchet off and with a very small head it fits perfect with mask and hood on, the dept hands out 1010's and they never seemed to fit correctly, not to mention I really don't wanna wear a helmet that the shell can fall off.

bennetj said:
Here in CT (this happened a number of years ago) the local Town Coucil of one of our esteemed communities decided that leather helmets for their volunteer organization were simply too expensive.  Not wanting to change, the chief simply took a plastic helmet, froze the helmet in the department's deep freezer for about six hours and then conveyed the frozen helemt to the next regular council meeting.  he had is 15 minutes of fame - took the frozen helemt and whacked it against the cinder block wall at town hall.  Needless to say, the helmet shattered into a multitude of pieces.  The chief then took a standard helmet and did the same thing.  His point was understtod.  Leather helmets are still purchased today.

Is that man still chief??? Thats awesome!

Any Cairns 5A leather helmet experts out there that can help me determine an approximate age of a helmet I refurbed?