Satellite Ops

When a satellite is assigned to a job via run cards, if the satellite isn’t utilized at that job, do the members assigned to the satellite stay with the rig, or do they join their normally assigned engine company and operate? Thank you for any input.

They’re assigned on the all hands in SI and 2nd alarm in the other boro’s. They report into the command post for orders. Ice heard that if they don’t use the manifold they help finding hydrants for other units

My understanding from listening to interviews several officers from satellite companies is they first respond as a satellite unit (engine and second piece) for water resource purposes, and if they aren't required for that purpose, the whole company reports to the command post and is available to operate as an engine.

Regarding the above, just a couple of additions on satellite assignments: they are also assigned on boxes in the Brooklyn Naval Yard, Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges, and on 10-75 on City Island and Riverdale, plus anytime a Marine company is operating at an all hands fire (source: operational reference guide).

Regarding the above, just a couple of additions on satellite assignments: they are also assigned on boxes in the Brooklyn Naval Yard, Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges, and on 10-75 on City Island and Riverdale, plus anytime a Marine company is operating at an all hands fire (source: operational reference guide).
As well as All ALL Hands in Staten Island

If the fire is still DWH usually they are not used for firefighting as there might be a chance they still might be used for satellite or manifold. I have seen when the fire is close to PWH or PEH they may use them for searches or relief. They also assist with long stretches.

In the FDNY there is no hard & fast rule what the SAT ENG Company does if the SAT Rig or the Manifold is not needed but they are on the scene....it is at the Incident Commander's discretion ....in my former BN I had 324 / SAT*4 & if the SAT Rig or the Manifold was not needed & there was serious FF to do I always tried to utilize them for some FF.....I felt this was good for Company morale rather than have them respond to many jobs & stand fast & then just take up.

If the need is there the members of the Satellites, Engine Company often help other units with helping with stretches, but insure they are alible to quickly return to the Rigs for whatever duties they are assigned as a Satellite Engine Company. I worked many times in Manhattan's Satellite 1 in the early 1970's. A few times we were near another fire while returning from a job we assisted at the new fire until other units arrived.
In the 1960s and early 1970's the Satellites responded with only 2 firefighters and no Engine Co. The Satellite officer responded with one firefighter in an old Chief's car, to any fire that 2 Satellites or the Super Pumper Was Operating, or a Satellites was operating supplied by a Fireboat/Marine Unit. In 1974 or 75 I was detailed to Satellite 1, and we assisted in the rescue of a young girl trapped on the floor above the fire floor. Firefighters (Then Firemen) always do what firemen do when needed. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retiredFDNY retired Satellite1 Origional Mack.jpg

If the need is there the members of the Satellites, Engine Company often help other units with helping with stretches, but insure they are alible to quickly return to the Rigs for whatever duties they are assigned as a Satellite Engine Company. I worked many times in Manhattan's Satellite 1 in the early 1970's. A few times we were near another fire while returning from a job we assisted at the new fire until other units arrived.
In the 1960s and early 1970's the Satellites responded with only 2 firefighters and no Engine Co. The Satellite officer responded with one firefighter in an old Chief's car, to any fire that 2 Satellites or the Super Pumper Was Operating, or a Satellites was operating supplied by a Fireboat/Marine Unit. In 1974 or 75 I was detailed to Satellite 1, and we assisted in the rescue of a young girl trapped on the floor above the fire floor. Firefighters (Then Firemen) always do what firemen do when needed. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retiredView attachment 39735
So during that time the Satellite’s were their own company and not cross staffed by their house engines?

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
The Satellites play a major role in foam operations. Each of the 6 rigs carry over 30 -five gallon cans of foam. Most of them have cans of Hi-Ex foam while years ago their loads were mixed. In the past 10 years, FDNY revamped the foam program and now use Alcohol Resistant - Aqueous Film Forming Foam. The 6 units also carry foam nozzles, besides Hi-Ex foam generators.

Few times I covered in 207, the satellite got us to a 2-2. Check in with I/C… if they didn’t need us for the manifold or the satellite itself, I always try to relieve an engine or have the guys stretch a line. Esp. On attached frames. Maybe we could get a piece if the chief was willing to put us to work 😀