Spring Get Together

willy, I know I said i could make it on the 3rd but something popped up with my Grandchildren and I'm sorry to say I will not be able to make it even though I will be in NY until the 8th, Thank the Bendicks for me and again sorry as I was looking forward to it.

Jack O'Reilly

guitarman314 said:
Hey Willy, did you get my e-mail saying I'm coming? ???

G-man, I did get your E-mail and sent you the address with my phone number. So John, throw on another one of those steaks.

Jack, I understand. But I wish you could have made it. I know everyone of these guys. Really good people. And it sure is Great that John Bendick and his family offered us his place and the time involved to prepare everything. As I said earlier, he bailed me out because I had no idea what to do or where to go early on.

He is a retired War Years firefighter from some of the busiest companies in the history of the dept. And his two sons are now on the FDNY. For anybody who knows the FDNY, you just gotta have respect them.

So for those attending I have: "Jbendick", his two sons, John and Tommy, "fdce54", "bronx72", "johnd248", "mack", "svd385", "g-man", "truck 4", and myself "nfd2004". Hope I didn't forget anybody.

Well, lets add one more. Mike D."mikeindabronx" would like to join us. Many know Mike and of course he has that GREAT Web Site www.fdnysbravest.com with some of the very Best FDNY photos of The Bronx and Harlem during the busy 1980s.

So welcome there Mike. John, one more steak to grill up.

I think the total count is 11 guys. Nice turnout. The weather should be good too. If its warm I think I'll wear my banana Yellow thong and enjoy some warm sunshine rays.

nfd2004 said:
Well, lets add one more. Mike D."mikeindabronx" would like to join us. Many know Mike and of course he has that GREAT Web Site www.fdnysbravest.com with some of the very Best FDNY photos of The Bronx and Harlem during the busy 1980s.

I think the total count is 11 guys. Nice turnout. The weather should be good too. If its warm I think I'll wear my banana Yellow thong and enjoy some warm sunshine rays.
Banana yellow thong???????????????? Now everyone one will cancel and John will move!  ;D

fdce54 said:
nfd2004 said:

Banana yellow thong???????????????? Now everyone one will cancel and John will move!  ;D

We've been kind of following the weather for Thursday. Now it looks like it might be showers and damp with temperatures only in the 60s. So it looks like no banana yellow thong wearing for that day. There'd be big goose bumps on those cheeks and I'm sure you all would love to see that.

And as it stands we probadly will be heading to Applebees from Johns House due to the chilly, damp weather predicted.

fdce54 said:
Willy, are you going to wear your "Banana Yellow Thong" to Applebees?

I didn't think of that Frank. But I wore one to a place here in Connecticut. All those young pretty waitresses stopped working and hung out around me. As a result, I am now banned from wearing that Banana yellow piece of cloth and MUST wear full clothing.

In fact Frank, I will bring the picture with me to show you those ladies and I together. You won't believe your eyes.

But sorry, no more banana yellow thongs in restraunts.

I suggest Willy D take the banana thingee to NY and leave it there.  We do not need it in CT!

I would like to thank the Bendick family for having this get together at their house.  I believe everyone had a good time remembering past times and exchanging stories.
It was also great meeting some of the folks that I hadn't met prior.

Steve

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I hope everybody who made the trip got home safely. Great seeing you all! Thank John & his lovely family for having us. Also Tommy & his little princess for sharing their time with us.

Many thanks to the Bendick family for hosting this great event.  Great because we can now put faces to the many names associated with this site.  Great time, great stories, great history.  John Bendick certainly is a wealth of knowledge and history. 
No mention of Willy D's eating habits; you had to be there.

I also want to Thank the Bendick Family for allowing us to hold this Get Together at their home. For those that were not able to attend, yes, it was a cloudy, chilly day. Not a Great Day for a BBQ as was first planned. But we all sure had a GREAT TIME. We never did end up going to Applebees. Everybody was enjoying themselves right at the house so we stayed there.

First we had the hot dogs, chips, soda, potatoe salad and we shared our stories among each other. Later we decided to get a few pizzas and John Jr (FDNY member also) made the trip to pick them up. I don't think it could have went any better.

We had a group of people with all the same interest and what I consider to be very special and good friends. They represent the type of character that we can proudly claim to be a very good cross section of this web site. Quite honestly, the very best when it comes to the FDNY whether its somebody retired, active, or even a buff. There was a Dispatcher, a teacher, a former FDNY auxiliary, a former FDNY Fire Marshall, a Bank Manager, a Police Sgt., a photographer, a retired postal supervisor and music musician for many of the best singing groups of the 60s and 70s, FDNY members, a West Point Grad and Retired Army Col., and retired FDNY Officers. I know I'm proud to be a part of it, and I have the highest respect for the many others who are a part of it also. But no matter who are, we were all on the same page together. Just a really Great Group of people.

And don't let me forget another star. Tommy's young daughter Isabella. She told us all what Grandpa, Uncle John, and daddy does. "They are Firemen" ! ! ! :)

Those that attended were: "svd385", "g-man", "mack", "johnd248", "bronx72", "mikeindabronx", "truck 4", "atlas" with his friend a Retired FDNY Fire Marshall, and his friend Patrick, Tommy (site owner) and John Bendick Jr, both members of the FDNY, and the one we all are most Thankful to: John Bendick Sr, Retired Captain, War Years Firefighter of the FDNY. Thanks very much John for all you did. We really appreciate it. We all had a Great time.

I also want to Thank Rob Palmer "Bronx72" and John Delmhorst "johnd248" for allowing me to ride down to Yonkers with them. Some good people. They got to be. They listen to my B/S for the entire 100 mile trip.

I rode home with Joe M "mack". He stayed at the Ole' Willy "D" Homestead and kept my three cats company. I warned him on the way up that the Ole' Willy "D" place is a "Collyers Mansion" and don't let that bother him. He got a couple winks of shut eye before he made his trip up to Boston, so I guess it was okay. And Thanks for the Breakfast Joe. It was Great. Thank You.

Thanks again. It was a GREAT DAY.

And finally about those hot dogs. If you think you were impressed with me eating a dozen or so at our gathering. Wait until  you see me shine eating those hot dogs at the Coney Island Hot Dog eating contest coming up.

I had a great time sharing stories with everyone there and finally meeting svd385 and Mack. I was glad to see ATLAS there, he's a walking FDNY encyclopedia. His retired fire marshal buddy also added a couple of FDNY untold historic gems. Most of all thanks to John and the Bendick family for their hospitality. :) 

Hope these get togethers continue as i'd love to make the trip across the pond to attend one. They sound like great days out

IRISH said:
Hope these get togethers continue as i'd love to make the trip across the pond to attend one. They sound like great days out

Irish, we hope to have another. There's been a few ideas put out there and we would certainly want a trip like yours to be worthwhile. Of course the best part of it is meeting these people. But maybe there would be a few more things.

One of the problems is that after 9/11 security has become a major concern and it could be diffucult to see anything. That's what has happened. But there is a lot of talent among these people. Let me just say, there are good people who would like to help us in any way they can.

A couple of ideas have been tossed around for next years Spring Get Together.

Somebody had mentioned about touring another city as a group. I know the Boston F.D. is always willing to roll out the red carpet for guys interested in touring that dept. Not too many guys interested in seeing the Boston Red Socks though (right !!!!). Providence, R.I. is another Excellent Dept not that far away. Or maybe Chicago. I'm sure Grumpy would like that.

Johnny D has mentioned about touring Brooklyn and maybe seeing a few fires. And stopping by for a breakfast where the Retired Brother cooks for the guys. (see: Breakfast for his Brothers 6/8/12 in this section).  He also says we could plan this around the time of the Coney Island Hot Dog eating contest, and maybe one or two of us could enter and win the trophy. I wonder who that could be ???

But whatever we plan to do, those of us that went to this past get together at John Bendicks house, won't forget the Great hospitality that he gave us. He asked for nothing in return. John, I think we are all very Thankful for what you did.

Spring is tough for me Bill since I am in Florida.  I do hope we can do something maybe the first week of October.