The Ventures/Days of Doo Wop

So the Cold Winter Blues got you down. Well lets get that blood flowing again with a little of your favorite Doo Wop from those Great music days gone by.

How about a group that formed way back in 1957 from the streets of Bushwick in Brooklyn. The group was called "The Fascinations" and they sang a song about a girl named "Rosemarie". I just have a feeling that this one will get those feet tapping and once again help to improve your circulation.

Okay, Tony and the Boys, "take it away".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2UEdtzKAdM 

Willie the group shown in the video is "The Legends Of Doo-Wop"  made up of three Lead Singers from their Original Groups and a bass from another grp.  In the video left to Right

Jimmy Gallagher-  Lead  Passions
Steve Horn      -  Bass  5 Sharps
Frank Mancuso  -  Lead  Imaginations
Tony Passalacqua- Lead  Fascinators

BTW they are no longer singing together    Shame as they were terrific.

JOR176 said:
Willie the group shown in the video is "The Legends Of Doo-Wop"  made up of three Lead Singers from their Original Groups and a bass from another grp.  In the video left to Right

Jimmy Gallagher-  Lead  Passions
Steve Horn      -  Bass  5 Sharps
Frank Mancuso  -  Lead  Imaginations
Tony Passalacqua- Lead  Fascinators

BTW they are no longer singing together    Shame as they were terrific.

Thanks Jack. They are good. I must have played that thing 50 times since I posted it. Not only that, last night I checked out ordering a DVD of them along with many other Doo Wop groups from one of those PBS shows. I ordered it directly from PBS and they just told me they already shipped it. The DVD is called Doo Wop 50.

By the way, I may be down to see you guys pretty soon. Man, it's been brutal up here. One morning about 7 am it was 12 below zero. I took a picture of it as a reminder when July and August is here.

Willie it will be good seeing you again and maybe have more time to talk than last time as we were at opposite ends  LOL

He was from the Lower East Side of Manhattan. He started out with a group called the Crest. Later he became the lead singer in a group called "The Brooklyn Bridge". He passed away just a few years ago and I think G-man might have played background guitar with him for awhile. Johnny Maestro and the Brooklyn Bridge made these songs famous around the late 60s/early 70s.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY1P24nT35o

Johnny Maestro had his own Brooklyn Bridge band but I did work dozens and dozens of shows throughout the years. Many as a member of  the house band that entailed backing up most of the acts.

The NY/NJ area produced some of the best Doo Wop singers in history. But not too far from NYC is a place called New Haven, Ct. Out of New Haven came a group called The Five Satins with their lead singer Freddie Paris. How many out there remember this great oldie ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQCk-GP5dHk

Bill, you are correct New Haven was their home.  Fred Parris had another group before the Satins called "The Scarlets" that recorded in 53 & 54 on the Red Robin label in Harlem, and the "Scarlets" became the Five Satins, also there was another gent that did lead named Bill Baker who was excellent, He did the lead on one of my Favorites "Wonderful Girl".

Well, they weren't from New Haven, or anywhere in NYC . . . but the Marcels from Pittsburg sure could sing . . .

https://youtu.be/BziGPUGjhIE

Bass singer for the Marcells had lung cancer and was doing all that with just one lung. I had done a gig with them about 3 years before they taped the PBS show and the lung had already been removed. 

Thanks Ray, aka "raybrag", for the great sounds of the Marcells.

And how about we do this for Jack, aka "JOR176". We go back to those Doo Wop Days and the year was around 1956. Everybody from Madison, Midwood, and Lincoln High Schools in Brooklyn would hang out at their favorite spot on Kings Highway. And when this favorite tune started to play on the AM radios of those shinny Chevys, Jack told the guys "turn that radio up", because this was his favorite tune.

So this one's for you Jack.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCXzN5vg0YE

memory master said:
Don't forget "Looking For An Echo" for all those Erasmus Hall high school folks! 8)
THE BEST.....Even though Kenny Vance sang back in the early Doo Wop years he actually did not do Looking For An Echo until 1975 first as a solo by him then in the present version w/the group....in this video the square lapel pins they are wearing are the 3 FFs raising the Flag at the WTC.....Kenny's home at the foot of Beach 130 St & the Ocean in Rockaway was completey washed away during Sandy & he lost a large amount of memorabilia.....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke1dV_IpSKA    g man any update on Kenny Vance's condition ?

As we look back over the last 12 pages of this thread, for some of us, and maybe more like MOST of us, who grew up during that time frame, "we wouldn't trade it for anything". The music was really great. What a great time it was to be a teen age kid. We didn't have cell phones to text on or computers to tell our stories on. But it was just such a special time. A high school sweetheart. The high school dances, the cars, and the music.

Many on here have seen two generations grow up. I think most of us are very proud of the younger members on this site. But that doesn't really explain to you just what it was like back in our day. This thing we are calling "Days of Doo Wop". So to get a better idea of just what it was like, there was a movie made called "American Grifitti". It talks about some high school teenagers in 1962. This is the preview of that movie.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfhYdoVQSJA