The War Years

The first FDNY firehouse I walked into for a tour was 19 truck on March 30th,1960. Crazy but at that time myself and another 100 proby's did not have one minute of training. The training school on Welfare Island was in session with the previous class and we had to wait until they finished to begin our training. My Lt. told myself and my partner proby (2 were assigned to a 6th Div. house) to get gear off the rack, each carry a can and stay with him. He said that if reached out and could not touch us we were in trouble.19 had a spare wooden aerial for the tour. During the tour a kid walked into qtrs. and said a "cat was in a tree down the street". The Lt. said come on we will take the spare out and test it. We did and that was the only time in my 37 years that I took a cat out of a tree.  Caught a few jobs in the 6 weeks there before school, nothing major. After school I was assigned to 74 engine in Manhattan for 4 years then transferred to 127 truck in Queens for 5 years. My first year in 74 we were 9th in workers with about 1200 runs and 700 or so workers. Hard to say when the war years actually began. I remember hearing that 26 truck did 350 runs one month around 1963 and I couldn't believe that a company could do that much running. A guess would be that the war started around 63 or 64, peaked probably around 76, burned itself out.

I was promoted to Lt. 8/69 out of 127. While 127 was fairly busy for Queens (South Jamaica section) there was no comparison for the busy companies in the actual war zones, S. Bx, Brownsville, Harlem etc. We would hear stories about 120 truck, 31 truck, 82 etc. But hearing and being there is/was a whole different ball game. On promotion 8/69 I was assigned to the 19th Battalion covering. Worked in what would become busy companies years later, 33 truck, 75 engine etc, but they were not busy at that time. Being in the Bx though every tour the circuits would be open due to jobs and all the boxes being transmitted would be heard throughout the boro, never stopped. One day tour I was assigned for the tour in 50 engine. I have to say though it was not an exceptional busy tour maybe 10 runs no real work I fell in love with the guys and the house, just the way they handled themselves. At this time there were only 2 Lts. assigned to 50 with no Captain. They were waiting for Charlie Rivera (later Fire Commissioner) to be promoted out of 76 engine to be given 50. I put in for the company and was assigned 1/7/70. I worked there until 4/73 when I made Captain. I have to say that these were the best years of my time in the FDNY. Just to rub shoulders with those men was an honor and a privilege. Some fires I remember well others not at all. A few. Came in one summer night for a 6x9. Was a busy day in the Bx. 50 was in qtrs. 19 was not. A 2nd alarm was going over by 82. At the first minutes of the tour we were sent to a box a few blocks from the 2nd by ourselves. On arrival we found a rubbish fire going good in an ally  between 3 story row frames. We dropped 2 lines one to knock down the rubbish and the other into the exp. 4 side occupied frame that had fire on all 3 floors. We knocked the fire down couple of rooms on the1st and 2nd floors but when we got up to the 3rd we were short hose. Fire was in 2 rooms and the cockloft. I sent one of the guys down for a roll-up. As we were waiting a BC came up and ordered us out of the building. We left the line and came down into the street. We went across the street and sat on a stoop. No masks our eyes were bothering us beside other things. A 3rd had been transmitted for the box. A BC was coming down the street and when he saw us he asked "if we wanted to go to the hospital and have our eyes washed out?" I said sure so 5 of us went in the BC car to the hospital (Bx Leb). I found out later that when the chief returned to the car the aide told him that they were at the wrong 3rd they should have been at the 82 3rd. So they responded to the other 3rd. As we are at the hospital the frame we were in collapses. All that can be seen is the collapse on top of our line going into the frame. An Assistant Chief comes in and does a roll call. No 50. He is about to transmit a 4th with additional rescues, chaplains etc. for a company in a collapse when a ff from 19 tells him that "50 got in a chief's car and left." I'm at the hospital and a nurse asks me my name. I tell her and she says "you have a phone call." It is the Bx dispatcher and he says by order of A.C. Snyder I was to immediately return to the scene, a car was being sent for me. I think he wants to give me a well done for all the fire we knocked down, didn't know about the collapse. But it was not so. As he was chewing me out I told him that the BC had put it over the radio that he was removing ff's to the hospital, he hadn't. This stopped the A.C. and that was it. We were all granted "remainder of tour off" by the medical officer. Was a great tour, had a good fire and was back home by 2100 hours.
Another 6x9 around 0600 hours we go in 3rd due to a box. Fire is in an occupied 5 story tenement. Arson. Someone had thrown gasoline throughout a 1st floor apartment and on the stairs 5th floor down. The 1st engine 71 takes their line into the 1st floor apartment. 50-2 is ordered to stretch into the exposure to prevent extension. We are ordered to knock down the stairs. The apartments have dumbwaiters in the kitchens. Two apartments per floor. We knock down the stairs 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th and hit the kitchens where the fire in the dumbwaiter has spread to them. As we are making the hall on the 4th floor we find a badly burned dead body. It takes us a few seconds to "get around him." As we make the turn the stairs from the 5th floor to the roof collapses. We can't get by as the stairs are completely blocked with a ton or more of debris, close call. The body was a father who went back up the stairs to try and save his family, but they were already out. I always have thought that he saved us, another second or two and we would have been on the stairs.

I was promoted to Captain 4/73. During my years in 50 my wife would be after me to transfer to a slower house so that I wasn't always so tired after tours. I would put her off by saying that when I made Captain I would be assigned to a slow Division as department policy. On promotion I was assigned to the 15th Division, the second busiest division in the FDNY at the time. My first tour was in103 truck and we had 27 runs. I came home tired and my wife just said "you don't look any different." There was 6 of us promoted to Captain. One of the news guys was mad out of the 16th Division, probably the slowest Division in the job, east end of Queens. He stays in the 16th covering. I call up the transfer Lt. and ask him if I have ghetto next to my name. He says why and I say I go from the 6th to the 15th and another new Captain stays in the 16th? Like him I want to see my grandchildren grow up. He says O.K. send me your paper. I do and a few weeks later am transferred to the 13th Division in Queens. Am there a week when the Division Commander of the 6th, DC Kelsey, calls me and says that Captain Grey (Albergrey in Smith's book) is being promoted and do I want 82. I say sure and send in my paper. The Lt. in the transfer unit calls me and tells me I am a wise ass.

Assigned to 82 9/1/73. 50 was very busy, 82 even more so. 50 would run heavy until 0200 or 0300, 82 would never stop, go all night. But like 50/19 the guys in 82/31 were great. As above in 1960 74 did 1200 runs 700 workers, 9th busiest engine that year out of 212 engines. July of 1975 82 (the number) did 210 structural fires with 205 structural hours for the one month. And this was as 82 was slowing down. Busy box of course was 2743, Charlotte and 170. Good times and some not so. We had the strike 11/73, with ordered lifts, the lay-offs, some tough times.

There were thousands of FDNY guys doing heavy work during those years. I'll be 78 next August don't know how much longer I'll be here so I hope other brothers add to this thread as to their experiences during this FDNY period. Best of times, working with the greatest firefighters in the world and the worst of times seeing so many people lose their lives and homes, why was it allowed? 

Yes I second that . Thanks for taking the time to share your history . Over 200 structural fires for 82 in one month is amazing . My favorite part of this site is the history about the job shared by the men who lived and experienced it .
I think a couple reasons it was allowed The Bible aside, was the neighborhoods that were burning didn't matter to the politicians and a very powerful ethnic group within the city were making lots of money thru the insurance payouts

Thanks for sharing Chief! Those coming on the job now are covered up with ems runs. My son in law ran 22 calls in a 24 hour shift but not one fire! To have 210 structure fires in one month is legendary! Hence why we share! Thanks again.

Thank you very much Chief for your story. As you know, "you" along with a few others on here are considered to be "The Greatest Generation of Firefighters" the world has ever known. I don't think we will ever see another group like you or a decade plus years of what you and your Brothers saw.

I remember the first time I walked into Engine 82/Ladder 31. Maybe you were there. It was 3 am and those guys treated myself and my buddy Timmy (RIP) great. We ended up going to a Fourth Alarm with the guys. What a night that was. One I will never forget. I tried to tell some of the stories in "My Younger Buff Years", but how do you really explain the way it was. You just had to be there to see it for yourself.

Today, because of this web site, many of us have become friends with the firefighters who also served during your time. They worked in some of the busiest neighborhoods you talked about. One such member I met about a year ago. We didn't know each other at the time, but we ended up talking for about four hours. About the fire department of course. I remember you telling me, "once a firefighter - always a firefighter". 10 years, 20 years, 30 years or 40 years on the job. 10 years, 20 years, 30 years of retirement, "it's all the same". It gets in your blood and you become addicted.

I know it was the Best and the Worst of times for you. You have lost your good friends because of this job. Others have been disabled because of it.

But you should also know that for me, I learned a lot just from watching. Maybe at the time, none of us really realized that. But I think I got an education that I could never get from a book. I did my best to pass it on to the younger members also.

Chief, enjoy your retirement. I know you certainly earned it. And so did all the other Brothers who have since retired. And I hope when you turn 79 in August, you'll invite us to your birthday. You'll need a big cake to hold those birthday candles and when they light all those candles off, I can hear it now. With all that fire you'll go right back into your automatic mode: "Engine 82 to the Bronx, 10-75".

Thanks very much Chief.

Chief,
Thank you for starting this thread and for sharing your story. It is so important that the history of the War Years and of the Wars Years Warriors be told and preserved so it is never forgotten. Today's generation (post wars years), whether on the job or civilian really don't know the history of that era.
Jim Boyle (aka 1261truckie)

Thank you Bill and the other brothers for your kind words. I don't feel that we the FDNY members of the 60's and 70's were or are any different from the members today. If that period, the War Years, was beginning today there would be no difference in dedication and sacrifice by todays brothers. To apply to be a firefighter whether in NYC, Chicago, LA, Bridgeport or a volunteer firefighter makes a statement, sacrifice and dedication.

They call those in the fire service "The Bravest." The reason for this honor is displayed every day. I've written this before on the other site, I'll write it here, the bravest of the bravest.

Was a warm summer evening. D.C. Curley entered our qtrs, 82/31 I believe it was in 1974. With Chief Curley was a photographer from Life Magazine. The photographer had permission from downtown to take pictures of the members and qtrs of 82/31 as Dennis Smith's book "Report From Engine 82" was out and on the best seller list. The photos would be for a human interest spread in the magazine. As we lined up for roll-call a box came in, both companies were first due. We responded and Chief Curley and the photographer followed in the division car. E94 and L48 were returning from another box in the area when they saw the column of smoke from the fire and responded in, normally 2nd due they both arrived first. When we arrived I saw that the fire was in a 5 story occupied old law tenement. There was a front fire escape. On the 5th floor exposure two side there was a woman leaning out the farthest window on the left, she was holding a young girl, around 2 years old out in front of her. The fire escape window serving her apartment was venting fire. The room she was in with the two other windows had heavy smoke venting from each with some fire at the one next to her. E94 was stretching. L48 was raising their aerial but it was malfunctioning. The ladder would elevate and rotate but was jamming on extending, only extending a few inches with each attempt. L31 arrived and FF Tom Neary raced up the front steps into the fire building followed by his Lt. Don Butler. The remaining 31 members went for their roof rope to attempt a rope rescue. 82 carried a life net on the rig. I told my guys to get the net. A problem was that directly below this line of apartments was the front cellar entrance protected by an iron picket fence. There was a couple of hundred people in the street, half were yelling for her to throw the child the other half to hold on. Fire was now venting from the 2nd window with some fire now at the top of her window. The woman reached out to throw the child, to her death. Suddenly a firefighter was seen embracing them at her side, it was Neary. He was immediately joined by Lt. Butler on the other side. The tip of 48's aerial was about 3 feet from the window. Butler took the child and dove onto the ladder, braced by a member of 48 who had raced up the ladder. Neary then threw the woman out the window and onto the ladder. Neary then dove headfirst onto the ladder, his turnout was smoldering and his pants (no bunker gear then) were on fire. All four went to the hospital and were admitted, Neary was out for a number of months with the leg burns. With no mandatory mask policy then neither Neary of Butler wore a mask. Both Neary and Butler received FDNY Class 1 awards, which requires "Made Under Extreme Personal Risk." Neary received the Bennett medal for that year, the FDNY's Medal of Honor. When it was over I asked the Life photographer if he got the pictures of the rescue. He said "no" that he was so taken with what was unfolding before him that he didn't take any pictures, a shame.

Neary was promoted to Lt. a few years later and assigned to 28 truck in Harlem. Another fire with another child trapped in a room with a fully involved room blocking her rescue. Neary took a door off an adjoining apartment, laid underneath it and slid over the floor to the childs room, grabbed her and slid back, again no bunker gear or mask. Although wearing gloves Neary received severe burns to both hands while holding his shied, again out for a number of months with the burns. Neary received a Class 1 award and his second Bennett medal.

While brave to a man, the bravest of the brave.

AC ******* on left, DAC John M. O'Hagan on right (RIP):
manson.jpg

http://www.fdnysbravest.com

One hot August night in 1970, the night tour in Brownsville (Brooklyn) was starting out busy. First all-hands transmitted around 18:15 hrs, with a second all-hands coming in around 18:30. 132 was relocated to 120 (as the third section of 120). As we came down Watkins Street, someone ran out of the firehouse, gave our chauffeur a hand-written ticket and pointed to a third column of smoke in the near distance. We responded to either Amboy Street or Herzl Street and was first due truck at an all-hands. As we were taking up from that job, a kid came over to our officer and pointed to a building on Chester Street. Top floor job, went to an all-hands.
When we finally got back to 120's quarters we found out there had been several all-hands and the company currently occupying 120's space was "120 - fifth section"
One of the chiefs there came over to our officer and said for us to return to our own quarters, clean up, have our meal and then call the house to see if it had quieted down. As it turned out, we went back to St. Johns Place and caught our own job. Dinner was around 02:00 hours (AM)

1261Truckie said:
One hot August night in 1970, the night tour in Brownsville (Brooklyn) was starting out busy. First all-hands transmitted around 18:15 hrs, with a second all-hands coming in around 18:30. 132 was relocated to 120 (as the third section of 120). As we came down Watkins Street, someone ran out of the firehouse, gave our chauffeur a hand-written ticket and pointed to a third column of smoke in the near distance. We responded to either Amboy Street or Herzl Street and was first due truck at an all-hands. As we were taking up from that job, a kid came over to our officer and pointed to a building on Chester Street. Top floor job, went to an all-hands.
When we finally got back to 120's quarters we found out there had been several all-hands and the company currently occupying 120's space was "120 - fifth section"
One of the chiefs there came over to our officer and said for us to return to our own quarters, clean up, have our meal and then call the house to see if it had quieted down. As it turned out, we went back to St. Johns Place and caught our own job. Dinner was around 02:00 hours (AM)

Another Great story too, remembering those War Years. Thanks Jimmy.

I have a book here right next to me and it's called "When the Bronx Burned" by retired FDNY Member John Finucane (Eng 85). Without going into the book, the cover tells the story. It has a black and white photo on it of three very heavy columns of smoke rising among the buildings. Looking at that picture, just a guess, maybe three big jobs going within about a one square mile area. I remember being there and actually seeing those conditions for myself.

There has never been another place I can ever remember seeing anything like that. But I would like to pass on two other stories I saw from the War Years of Bridgeport, Ct and Providence, RI. Their War Years started a few years after the FDNY War Years.

In Bridgeport, Ct., I remember when one engine company was actually pumping to TWO separate jobs. One fire was in an old theater and the other was in a vacant school, all within a block of each other.

On a very busy Fourth of July night in Providence, RI., I remember buffing and on the way to a job, as we got off the exit of I-95, straight ahead was a vacant 2 1/2 frame fully involved. No rigs on the scene yet. I said to the guy driving, "there it is". He said; "No that's not it, the one we are going to is a few blocks away and has Two - 3 story frames going with Engine 14 is on the scene there by themselves".

For the members of the FDNY or places like Bridgeport or Providence, there were no FAST Cos, everybody didn't have a portable radio, no hoods and no bunker gear. Sometimes no air pack. Yet they all did the job night after night and there was no break. Sometimes no relief.

Along with that were those Fire Dispatchers who took the calls and dispatched companies from miles around without any aid of computers. One visit to the Brooklyn C.O. one night in August of 1976 was all it took to convince me. For two hours straight, it was non stop with pull boxes coming in, phones ringing, non stop radio traffic and those new ERS boxes beeping in that had to be answered. Nobody even had a chance to talk during that time. But I sure got an eye and ear full. Nobody had to explain anything to me after that.

Willy,
The guys were amazing. They just kept going and going, and as you said without radios, bunker gear and in many cases without masks. Riding the backstep, or hanging onto the side of the rig, today's firefighters would be shocked, but those guys were unbelieveable.
The dispatchers were also a special breed. They kept order in the midst of chaos.
Jim

Bill, You mention the FAST Truck concept. Around 1991 there was a 3 alarm fire in a 2 story Bx taxpayer. First floor had stores second floor was a ballroom type occupancy which covered the entire floor. During the fire there was a partial ceiling/floor collapse over the store of origin. A firefighter's body was found in the collapse, FF Al Ronaldson, Rescue Company 3. It was not know if Ronaldson had rode the collapse down or fell into the floor hole. The field communications unit responded on the 2nd alarm. The Lieutenant in the FC unit, Puggy Walsh, on arrival exited the rig and did a walk-around the fire building for his size-up. As Puggy started his walk-around he heard the collapse occur with HT chatter calling attention to it. A few minutes later as he was going around he heard someone call his name in a greeting. When he looked up he saw it was Ronaldson at a 2nd floor window waving hello, as they were friends. A few minutes later he heard the mayday for "firefighter down." Ronaldson had fell into the collapse hole.

The FDNY was given a violation by the Federal OSHA bureau citing Ronaldson's death. I attended the meeting as Manhattan/Bronx Commander at that time. Meeting was held in the 8th floor conference room. On the FDNY side was the COD,Cof Ops, boro commanders, safety. On the OSHA side was a middle age lady from OSHA with a chief officer from a small mid-western town. After the collapse Ronaldson's Lt. called him on the HT to check on him, no answer. The Lt. called a second time then went to look for him when the mayday came over the HT. The OSHA lady said that the FDNY was in violation as a mayday should have been declared when the Lt. could not reach Ronaldson the first time with all units withdrawn from the building and a roll-call taken. We said you can't do that as it is a normal occurrence for HT response not be returned due to noise in the area (saws etc.), not turned on, to low volume etc. To withdraw units from a fire scene for this reason will just allow for fire spread creating additional dangers for the members. At that time the FDNY had what was called "Firefighter Assist Team" units, engine companies special called if the incident commander thought needed. I myself had never special called a FAT unit.

To satisfy the violation it was agreed that with every working fire, all-hands or higher, a truck company would be mandated, special called to the scene for firefighter search/rescue as/if needed. I myself argued against it as I felt this would only strip other neighborhoods of trucks, what did this woman know? Fortunately myself and some others were overruled and the FAST truck was born. The FAST truck concept is probably standard now throughout the USA. Al Ronaldson has saved many firefighter lives and will continue to do so today and everyday.

Sometime in the mid-60s, E 248 responded second due to "The Junction": Flatbush and Nostrand Avenues.  The box came in around 9:30PM and we had just finished dinner.  E 255 and L 157 were on scene operating in a barber shop which was part of a 2 story taxpayer with various storefronts.  We took a second line to the second floor and operated with L 147; the second floor was a pool hall that covered several of the storefronts.  High heat and heavy smoke as we used the line to hit fire coming through the floor.  For some reason, our LT yelled to drop the line and get to the stairs.  As the last man reached the stairs, the floor collapsed into the first floor stores.  We tumbled down the stairs and pulled the line out to street.  The line had been burned through and we lost our nozzle never to be found again.  In the street, we set up a multiversal fed by two lines and pegged water into the building.  The fire had spread from the barber shop to three other storefronts while we were on the second floor.  We were replaced by the day tour at 9AM the following morning and they operated until 1:00PM.  Box only went to a second because the Deputy did not want the borough chief (assigned on the third) to show up.  Many individual s/cs above the second.