Ugly/Not Ugly

As the functional CEO of the FDNY, the Commissioner either directed, or approved, the appointment of the new Chaplain. Time will tell if it was a wise appointment. Hopefully, the Chaplain has the ability to provide comfort and healing to members of the department during difficult times which will surely occur on a dark day in the future.
The Commissioner knew, or should have known, that this appointment might be viewed by many in the FDNY rank and file as an extension of the DEI policy which is currently pervasive in many government agencies. Inviting AG Letitia James to be the Keynote Speaker to this event added fuel to the fire. The Commissioner, and her staff, exercised poor management judgement in setting up the program for this event which traditionally focused on the hard work of Company Officers and Field Commanders as they advance in leadership roles.
As the top manager of the FDNY, a more appropriate swearing in ceremony for the new chaplain should have taken place at Headquarters, or a house of worship, with the Command Staff and a contingent of the FDNY Honor Guard leading the investiture. Other Chaplains, Religious and Government Dignitaries, like AG James, should have been invited and encouraged to offer kind and encouraging remarks.
Overall, the Commissioner does not appear to have the desire, experience or background to bring people together in the unique workforce that she theoretically manages.
Very well stated and so true. Unfortunately the commisioner and the AG do not care how things appear or how things are perceived by white men. They are going to attempt to push their agenda and challenge anyone to question them in a woke, liberal bastion known as NYC. But, great post.

Very well stated and so true. Unfortunately the commisioner and the AG do not care how things appear or how things are perceived by white men. They are going to attempt to push their agenda and challenge anyone to question them in a woke, liberal bastion known as NYC. But, great post.
I wonder if, previous to this Chaplain’s swearing in, were the other FDNY Chaplains sworn in at a promotion ceremony or at headquarters, more or less, privately?

As the functional CEO of the FDNY, the Commissioner either directed, or approved, the appointment of the new Chaplain. Time will tell if it was a wise appointment. Hopefully, the Chaplain has the ability to provide comfort and healing to members of the department during difficult times which will surely occur on a dark day in the future.
The Commissioner knew, or should have known, that this appointment might be viewed by many in the FDNY rank and file as an extension of the DEI policy which is currently pervasive in many government agencies. Inviting AG Letitia James to be the Keynote Speaker to this event added fuel to the fire. The Commissioner, and her staff, exercised poor management judgement in setting up the program for this event which traditionally focused on the hard work of Company Officers and Field Commanders as they advance in leadership roles.
As the top manager of the FDNY, a more appropriate swearing in ceremony for the new chaplain should have taken place at Headquarters, or a house of worship, with the Command Staff and a contingent of the FDNY Honor Guard leading the investiture. Other Chaplains, Religious and Government Dignitaries, like AG James, should have been invited and encouraged to offer kind and encouraging remarks.
Overall, the Commissioner does not appear to have the desire, experience or background to bring people together in the unique workforce that she theoretically manages.
You expect the commissioner to know every rank and file members political beliefs? When there are thousands of members?

It was well within her mindset to expect the members of the department to act like adults at a department event, not children at a baseball game. The bottom line is what I stated, while in department uniform, at a department event, you are representing the department. They did not, and this is the result. You don't have to agree with it, but it doesn't make it any less true.

This is the way the whole world works, not just the fire department.

When I was in college, we had someone address a crowd from our school by stating he was from "the college of stupid idiots," while wearing a campus hat. He was punished for it. If you work for Walmart(I don't, i'm using an example.) and do something dumb while wearing a Walmart employee shirt, you can expect to be at least reprimanded, if not fired. Its called accountability.

Your continual reference to “in uniform” is an issue because the only members in uniform were those being promoted and those on stage or assisting with the ceremony. Those you are referring to were in civilian clothes - you are aware of that right?

You expect the commissioner to know every rank and file members political beliefs? When there are thousands of members?

It was well within her mindset to expect the members of the department to act like adults at a department event, not children at a baseball game. The bottom line is what I stated, while in department uniform, at a department event, you are representing the department. They did not, and this is the result. You don't have to agree with it, but it doesn't make it any less true.

This is the way the whole world works, not just the fire department.

When I was in college, we had someone address a crowd from our school by stating he was from "the college of stupid idiots," while wearing a campus hat. He was punished for it. If you work for Walmart(I don't, i'm using an example.) and do something dumb while wearing a Walmart employee shirt, you can expect to be at least reprimanded, if not fired. Its called accountability.
Since finding out those you referred to weren't "in uniform" - penny for your thoughts!

I have to agree with nybravest82, I don’t like it but it’s true. But it’s also true that if it was a republican that was asked to speak and boos and Biden chants broke out there would have been zero repercussions

I have to agree with nybravest82, I don’t like it but it’s true. But it’s also true that if it was a republican that was asked to speak and boos and Biden chants broke out there would have been zero repercussions
Not to beat this horse to death, but to beat the horse to death anyway - he based his argument that they were booing, etc. "in uniform" at a FDNY event, which of course is incorrect - unless civilian clothes are the uniform of the day - so I'm not sure what you're agreeing to?

COD Hodgens is ruining his career reputation & should respectfully retire, rather than being associated with the “powers that be”. He’s not going to “change” anything for the better with this progressive administration. Just my

Imagine climbing the ranks to have to deal with a commissioner like this and then take the fall. Awful
So smug

Attachments

• IMG_3686.jpeg
    IMG_3686.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 35
John Hodges was my boss when I worked in the 8th Div. I found him to be a fair and stand up guy, he helped me when I put my foot in my mouth with the then commissioner. My prayers are with him, he’s in a tough spot.

Great the one Judge who hates the FDNY

Let’s see where Kavanagh goes with this. If she follows the woke agenda she will sell out da FDNY to help da Vulcans. My agenda is for equality and for you to earn your way not sue and call everything racist to get a grab. Sorry my penny of thought