Vintage FDNY Videos

Bill, I understand what you are talking about. There is no respect for working people in this country who are best described as laborers; cops, firemen, sanitation men, utility workers, etc. We are beneath the upper echelon white collar people.

CFD, in response to your question about Kevin Shea from the video, I believe he had to get off the job because of a serious leg/knee injury he recieved when he apparently fell through a large hole as a result of the World Trade Center Bombing back in 1993. In that incident, we lost six civilians and there were many injuries. Kevin Shea was one of them.

Frank (fdce54), you're exactly right. From 1970-1975, I was a Letter Carrier in a very rich, well to do Town in Connecticut. I considered it to be a Great Job for a young guy who grew up in a poor tough neighborhood of Bridgeport. The only people that had any respect for me was the Cops and Firemen who worked there. But they certainly couldn't afford to live there. I saw that money really DOESN'T buy happiness. It was a constant battle to try and out do one another.

I didn't ever own a Yaght, or a Mansion. But I was a lot happier just paying my bills, owning a simple house, food to eat, and having a few bucks to chase the rigs. Whether a Letter Carrier, or a Firefighter, I have no regretes being just Low to Middle income. I actually pitty seeing what money does to some people and I really wouldn't want to be like them.

B

Bigandy

A weird thing about the name Kevin Shea is: (1) Kevin Shea of Rescue 1 was injured in the 1993 WTC bombing and (2) Kevin Shea of Ladder 35 was injured in the 9/11 attacks, meanwhile 11 of his fellow brothers passed on.

There is an exceptional book out by David Halberstam named Firehouse, which details Engine 40/Ladder 35 after the 9/11 attack. I recommend it.

nfd2004 said:
I didn't ever own a Yacht, or a Mansion. But I was a lot happier just paying my bills, owning a simple house, food to eat, and having a few bucks to chase the rigs. Whether a Letter Carrier, or a Firefighter, I have no regrets being just Low to Middle income. I actually pity seeing what money does to some people and I really wouldn't want to be like them.

Amen Bill. I always felt that people who weren't 'on the job' were missing out on something. I too have no regrets about my career choice. I'm tremendously proud that I was able to work as a Firefighter. The job enabled me to work with some of the best people I ever met. And being able to do what we did day in and day out was extremely rewarding.

I couldnt agree more.  I worked a desk job to kill time before I got called to join the greatest job on earth.  Seeing some of these corporate hot shots in their shirts and ties...they didnt have a clue of what was going on in the world, and would probably look down at civil servants.  I knew this is what I wanted, and I have never been happier since I got called. 

On a side note...R1 would you happen to have the docu filmed in the early to mid 90's I think...it was called "Brothers in Battle".  I have never been able to find it on dvd...if you do...would it be possible that you could post it here?
Thanks...

dillondotcom said:
I couldnt agree more.  I worked a desk job to kill time before I got called to join the greatest job on earth.  Seeing some of these corporate hot shots in their shirts and ties...they didnt have a clue of what was going on in the world, and would probably look down at civil servants.  I knew this is what I wanted, and I have never been happier since I got called. 

On a side note...R1 would you happen to have the docu filmed in the early to mid 90's I think...it was called "Brothers in Battle".  I have never been able to find it on dvd...if you do...would it be possible that you could post it here?
Thanks...

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Fighters-Brothers-Battle-VHS/dp/B000006Q89

Dillon, Brothers in Battle, an excellent documentary ! I believe it was produced by Brian Hickey's brother, who has since passed also. I have it, but since it's "available " for purchase, etc. I try not to post as to avoid trouble (I try to put up the stuff that can't be bought/found anymore).
Try out 69Mets link, if not shoot me an IM, Bro !

"Brothers in Battle was one of those Greats. I'm glad "Dillion.com", you were able to get yourself a copy. I have my own and its one of those favorites. And I'm glad "69mets" was able to help you out.

And let me say that "r1smokeeater's" web site has to be one of the Best. Actually, its You Tube. There's probadly almost 100 videos on there. In my opinion, "All Top Shelf". Nothing but the Best. Thanks "r1" and if you don't mind I'd like to Re-Post the site for those that may have missed it. I've saved it in my favorites and backed it up on one of those High Tech tools today called a "scan disk". Its about the size of a Bic Cigarette lighter. It cost about $12.00. Thanks to my 19 year old neighbor who helped me out, one outfit wanted to charge me $150.00 to do it.

Anyway, getting back to "r1smokeeaters" web site, I think it's ......www.Youtube.com/user/R1SmokeEater . Give it a try. And Thanks Again Jamie (r1smokeeater).

B

Bigandy

Good for him. He deserves a beautiful wife/girlfriend whoever she is, and a great and promising retirement.

Has anybody seen the documentary on Rescue 3 called "10-75 Rescue 3" (I think that was the name). I have only a quarter of it on VHS and it gets cut out by another TV program. This video was filmed previous to the 1990 National Geographic Documentary and features earlier members such as FF T. McTigue & Capt. B. Ryan. I can't pin point the year it was filmed or what channel featured it but was hoping somebody on here would know.

turk132 said:
1984 or 85 maybe. Local NYC channel filmed the program, possibly CBS Channel 2.

Thanks for the info! Does anybody have this video by any chance? If I can I will and try to upload what I have...

firstdue2dq said:
turk132 said:

Thanks for the info! Does anybody have this video by any chance? If I can I will and try to upload what I have...

It is one I don't have  :'( ......Please do post !!

R1SmokeEater said:
firstdue2dq said:
turk132 said:

It is one I don't have  :'( ......Please do post !!

I will try and get it on you tube by the end of this week.. next week the latest.

"r1smokeater", you sure do post some good stuff. I know that I sure do appreciate what you do.
  I think around 2:50 mins., I think I even hear the sound of those Mack Tower Ladder Buckets moving around. For some, they prefer hearing Beethovens Symphony. For me, I just like hearing those Mack Tower Ladders purring !!!!