THROWBACK THURSDAY

Little late here, my email was OOS; but on your original photo of Liberty & Bradford note the round sign on pole on right "STOP Here on RED SIGNAL"  I think this was a short-lived experiment in the city (1960s?) where on intersections without traffic lights, you were to STOP or GO based on the indication of a traffic light a block or more ahead of you.

Cross streets may have had to stop and look left or right and be guided by signal on adjoining blocks.  I don't remember all that much of this weird system but do know it was in effect on Liberty - not sure of other streets.  Maybe our pal from the old E225 house can add more.

68jk09 said:
nfd2004 said:
68jk09 said:
L. S. M. F. T.  = ?

"LUCKY - STRIKE - MEANS - FINE - TABACCO".

How's that Chief !!!!

"Eat your heart out there Mr Raybrag". See what happens when I don't need to run to the throne because I ate too many Big Macs the night before.
OK Bill you got the generic trademark definition correct now who remembers the more sophomoric meaning ?

Hint:  "Loose Sweaters Mean ___ _____"

811 your hint suggests a similar version .....my was "Loose Straps Mean ______  ___ "

811 said:
Little late here, my email was OOS; but on your original photo of Liberty & Bradford note the round sign on pole on right "STOP Here on RED SIGNAL"  I think this was a short-lived experiment in the city (1960s?) where on intersections without traffic lights, you were to STOP or GO based on the indication of a traffic light a block or more ahead of you.

Cross streets may have had to stop and look left or right and be guided by signal on adjoining blocks.  I don't remember all that much of this weird system but do know it was in effect on Liberty - not sure of other streets.  Maybe our pal from the old E225 house can add more.

Just a note here regarding the last sentence by "811"  - "Maybe our pal from the old E225 can add more".

I think he is referring to member "AuxLteng225", aka Walter K.

Going back a few years ago Walter was Our Senior Man on this site at 88 years old. A little bit about Walter is posted on this site in the News and Events Section, "News of Members" on page 6, reply #82, 83.

If you know "AuxLteng225", Walter K, maybe you can send "811" a message.

No.3: "THE NAKED CITY"; 1960's Vehicle smack-em-up opposite "White Castle" on Atlantic Avenue and Highland Place, East New York Brooklyn looking west...I spy four chevys, a corvair and a rambler. Not sure about the smacked up vehicle.

Speaking about "hamburgers": Following contribution dedicated to Mr. Willy!...

The ?Big Mac? was introduced and born in the Pittsburgh area 1967, where a McDonald's owner had to satisfy his hungry customers...men working in steel mills nearby who had huge appetites and all he had to offer them was a regular cheeseburger. It almost had another name; the ?Aristocrat? or the ?Blue Ribbon Burger?. The winner, ?Big Mac? was created by a 21 year old advertisement secretary at McDonalds corporate headquarters... the original price was 45 cents.

You had to walk up to the window to place your order.

Know your ?McDonalds History?? Which fact about McDonalds is incorrect:

1: McDonald's first menu items were hot dogs, not hamburgers

2: McDonalds first drive-thru opened in 1975 in Arizona. The restaurant was located near a military base, and soldiers were not allowed to leave their cars while wearing fatigues.

3: McDonald's caesar salad is more fattening than their hamburger.

4: In Japan, the Ronald McDonald character is known as Donald McDonald, due to the lack of a clear ?R? sound in Japanese.

5: The Big Mac bun is sprinkled with 200 seeds and a middle bun called the ?club bun?.

6: 17 Big Macs are consumed every second Nationally by Americans.

(Fact #5 is incorrect, the average bun contains 400 seeds!)

************

"Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese..."

JohnnyGage said:

You left the job unfinished, Johnny! . . .    "pickles, onion on a sesame seed bun"  :D ;) ;D

And the wrecked vehicle is a 1956 Chrysler Windsor . . . the only one with that two-tone pattern:

26787749-770-0@2X.jpg

raybrag said:

JohnnyGage said:
THE NAKED CITY; 1960's Vehicle smack-em-up opposite "White Castle" on Atlantic Avenue and Highland Place, East New York Brooklyn looking west...I spy four chevys, a corvair and a rambler. Not sure about the smacked up vehicle.

Speaking about "hamburgers": Following contribution dedicated to Mr. Willy!...

The ?Big Mac? was introduced and born in the Pittsburgh area 1967, where a McDonald's owner had to satisfy his hungry customers...men working in steel mills nearby who had huge appetites and all he had to offer them was a regular cheeseburger. It almost had another name; the ?Aristocrat? or the ?Blue Ribbon Burger?. The winner, ?Big Mac? was created by a 21 year old advertisement secretary at McDonalds corporate headquarters... the original price was 45 cents.

You had to walk up to the window to place your order.

Know your ?McDonalds History?? Which fact about McDonalds is incorrect:

1: McDonald's first menu items were hot dogs, not hamburgers

2: McDonalds first drive-thru opened in 1975 in Arizona. The restaurant was located near a military base, and soldiers were not allowed to leave their cars while wearing fatigues.

3: McDonald's caesar salad is more fattening than their hamburger.

4: In Japan, the Ronald McDonald character is known as Donald McDonald, due to the lack of a clear ?R? sound in Japanese.

5: The Big Mac bun is sprinkled with 200 seeds and a middle bun called the ?club bun?.

6: 17 Big Macs are consumed every second Nationally by Americans.

(Fact #5 is incorrect, the average bun contains 400 seeds!)

************

Thank you "JohnnyGage" and "Raybrag".

Make no doubt about it, I've ALWAYS been a fan of yours.

But when I saw your recent post here in "THROWBACK THURSDAYs", it really touched my heart.

From my very first Micky Ds - 15 cent hamburger, with a bag of fries for 15 cents and a 10 cent coke, little did I know that it would soon be the beginning of some BIGGER and BETTER Things to come.

Born shortly after was the Big Mac.

As you say: "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce and cheese". Of course as it goes, "for every Action there is a Reaction". So the waistline got BIGGER too.

No.4: "THE NAKED CITY"; Life as usual on a Bed Stuy Street with a host of ADV's:

Meanwhile on the other side of the Throggs a little adventure land was happening on a marshland in da Bronx:

Freedomland property was shaped like the United States!

My first JOB!

After a great day at Freedomland, you could enjoy a cool one next to the barbey...but you'll need a church-key!

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

"OH, I WISH I WAS AN OSCAR MEYER WEINER, BECAUSE........"....(BECAUSE WHY?)

"Because everyone would be in love with me."

Actually, buying the first round worked a lot better!

JohnnyGage said:

My first JOB!

My first job too Johnny. Some guy was telling us that it was the Chicago fire. But he must have been lost because we were in the Bronx and NOT Chicago. I think where Co Op City is today.

In fact I think they lite the place up twice that day because it came in again. So I went to work pumping that old rig a second time that day.

No 5: THE NAKED CITY

Little PD action outside the neighborhood Bohack.

Plenty of Bohack's throughout the City and Long Island

How did you open the top of these, with a spoon, knife?

Items found at Bohacks, brought to the register...

"PLOP, PLOP, FIZZ, FIZZ OH WHAT A RELIEF IT IS..."