7/6/21 Staten Island Water Rescue Box 8129

In Fresh Kills Park near Sanitation Barges

Reporting jet skier in distress

M-8 to SI: 15- min ETA.

E164 Water Rescue Unit

SI to SQ08: An update for you: the jet skier is between the 2 sanitation barges, he’s coming from Tottenville.

TL86 to SI: Respond to Victory Blvd @ Muldoon?

SI to SQ8, TL86, RS05, E168, E164: All units into Box 8129 respond into Fresh Kills Park, Victory @ Muldoon.

SQ8 to SI: Let the 22 know we are in the dump following Sanitation trying to get the best location.

BC22: 10-4, we’re 5 mins out.

SQ8 to SI: Let the 22 know we are at the Parks Dept. boat launch in the dump, we are preparing to launch our boat to get into the canal. Get a closer look.

BC22: You have a 10-7?

SI: We’re in the process of speaking to the caller now.

SI to BC22: We’re on the phone with the caller, he’s trying to give us his exact coordinates. He’s near the sanitation barges in the landfill. He said he ran aground so he’s not going anywhere. We’re trying to get a better location for you.

SI to BC22: We’re in the process of getting his latitude and longitude - he’s unable to get that for us. He states he’s able to see NY Rt. 440 (West Shore EXPWY).

SI: We’re on the phone with the jet skier, he says about 1/4 mile from NY Rt. 440 overpass, he says he thinks he’s in the creek of the Kill Van Kull.

BC22: SQ08 has launched their Polaris little boat. They’re traveling the area looking for him. Is he on the right or left of Sanitation? There’s like 10 square miles here.

SI: 10-4 we’re asking him if he’s on the “NJ side” of the West Shore EXPWY or the “SI Mall” side of it. He’s confused and does not know where he is, we’re on the phone with him.

TSU2 to SI: Let the 22 know I’m on the West Shore EXPWY. We don’t see anything here, does the 22 want me on the other side of Muldoon Avenue and the creek?

SI to BC22: He says he sees marshland and a bridge in front of him.

SI sending out E167 to the Richmond Avenue/Arthur Kill Road Bridge to lookout there and to report back to BC22.

BC22 to SI: Can the caller take a screenshot and send his location of where he is?

SI: We were in the process of walking him through it, we’re gonna send his # to the MDT.

SI to M-8: Did you make contact with him via cellphone?

M-8: 10-4, just got off the phone with him. He gave us a better location, SQ8 is on their boat heading that way now.

TL86: Tell the 22 we circled the entire landfill side, do they want us to search the other side? (10-4).

E164: We searched along the railroad along the West Shore EXPWY. Does the 22 have a better location for us to search?

BC22: Negative we’re awaiting a report from SQ8.

SQ8 to SI: Let the 22 know our Zodiac boat has found the jet skier.

BC22: SQ8 made contact, they’re returning him to the boat launch. We don’t need EMS, everyone can go 10-8.

BC22: SQ8 is in the process of transferring the jet skier to M-8 to get them out of the creek here. They’ll let you know when they’re 10-8.

M-8: We have them on our vessel. Can you have EMS meet us at Tottenville Marina he has a cut on his hand he wants looked at. 15-min ETA.

SQ8 to SI: We are 10-8.

*Clearly this was a prolonged operation with a vast amount of area to search. Great job by the SI dispatchers in communicating with the (probably) frantic caller and units to get an exact location.*

Probably:
SQ8, E168, E164, E167
T086
RS05
BC. 22
M-8
TSU2

Last edited:
Picture of area searched. Notice in lower right corner Richmond Avenue bridge where it crosses Creek. On left side you see NY440 (West Shore EXPWY) as it crosses the creek. Fresh Kills Park is the new park made from the old landfill (the park is entire green). Lots of marshland and small waterways to check. Sanitation facilities are on the left side of NY440.

Attachments

• BD75E01C-D80D-4261-91AC-D0E7616AF55D.jpeg
    BD75E01C-D80D-4261-91AC-D0E7616AF55D.jpeg
    714.4 KB · Views: 35
There’s no way he saw the WSE. He was looking at the Korean if he was by the Richmond Ave bridge.

There’s no way he saw the WSE. He was looking at the Korean if he was by the Richmond Ave bridge.
I don’t think he was near the Richmond Avenue bridge. When E167 responded there they saw nothing and then went 10-8. I think he may have been closer to the WSE and landfill. There are also many roadways that run through the park/landfill so he may have seen those not knowing what they were. It all looks the same in there.

R5 passed me on the SI Expressway yesterday I was wondering where they were going.

The barges he may have been in between were probably tied up at the private paper recycling facility on the north side of Victory (Pratt Industries - ya know the one that goes on fire once in awhile). Sanitation only uses barges now to transport all of Manhattan's recycled paper/cardboard from the 59th St-Hudson River facility down here for processing. There's no other barges by Sanitation - I work in there. Quite an interesting place