Engine 220 Ladder 122 Back to Back

They are Repairing the apparatus floor on the truck side. The front was beginning to collapse earlier this year.

mack

Administrator
Not the first time two companies have shared Engine 220's quarters. Engine 239 was relocated there about 2007.

I don't know why FDNY built a new firehouse for Engine 220 (old Brooklyn Fire Department Engine 20) next to their old BFD firehouse and located Ladder 122 in the old 1883 BFD firehouse instead of building a new combined firehouse for both companies back in 1907.

E 220 BFD E 20.jpg

Engine 220 new firehouse.jpg

E 220 fh 4.jpg

L 122 ap 3 1952.jpg

E 220  ap 2 1947 ALF.jpg

E 220  621px-Ladder_Co_122_and_Engine_Co_220_South_Slope.jpg

Last edited:
One more back to back..at one time didn't Engine 26 have a spare tiller backed in? This was in the 1960's. Steve

mack

Administrator
Older NYC firehouses were built with horse stables to the rear of the apparatus. They also were built to house an engine and a steamer - two pieces - both requiring horses, so they are typically deep quarters.

We relocated to 173 and Rear Mounts were not allowed to park in Quarters, we had to park on the apron. Only a Tiller rig was allowed because weight was more distributed. Maybe not a good idea to put a Firehouse on the water.

Whoops..I meant Ladder 112..Steve

Our own “Johnny Gage” aka Dan Potter also talked about working at 277/112 when they were back to back in his Glory Days stories (history section)

My brother, then a captain worked in Bridgeport Cts old Engine 10/Ladder 10 quarters on Putnam St (not to be confused with FDNYs 10/10) when they were back to back.

I remember when FDNYs Engine 210 and Rescue 2 were back to back at their quarters on Carlton Ave - my first introduction to the FDNY way back in the summer of 1968 with the FDNY War Years beginning

Many or most of the 2nd sections were back and front. The only time it slowed things down was the first run after 9 AM every morning when the rear section was now responding alone or due before the front section on the box.

Older NYC firehouses were built with horse stables to the rear of the apparatus. They also were built to house an engine and a steamer - two pieces - both requiring horses, so they are typically deep quarters.
Engine 68 and Ladder 49 were back to back from 1947 until their new quarters were built in 1979. E68 was originally a combination company but it’s original house on Ogden Avenue had only a single, deep bay to house the steamer, hose wagon, and ladder truck.
In 1913, L49 was organized in a new house on Nelson Avenue that literally backed up on E68s quarters. It still stands as a private enterprise. After World War II the house was closed and L49 moved into 68s single bay house. They remained there until their new house was built further north on Ogden Ave in 1979. The old house remains in service today as an EMS station (unless recently replaced).
Another interesting note about 68s original quarters was that the kitchen was on the third floor. I am guessing that it was moved up there when L49 took up residence, as the apparatus floor just was not long enough for the engine, wagon, tiller truck and a kitchen. I have talked to members who served there and they said it was a real pain in the ass clambering up and down those stairs every time one of the rigs had to be moved.

As always, a nod to Mike Boucher for all his backup data.

Last edited:
I don't know why FDNY built a new firehouse for Engine 220 (old Brooklyn Fire Department Engine 20) next to their old BFD firehouse and located Ladder 122 in the old 1883 BFD firehouse instead of building a new combined firehouse for both companies back in 1907.

From earlier posts by G-Man and others:

"For a period of time between 1908 and 1925, NYC built firehouses with walls between companies, and therefore separate housewatches. GMan compiled a good summary a while back:"

"If you go back in time, most ladder companies had their own firehouses including many that had a solid wall between the engine & truck side and separate housewatch desks:"

Brooklyn has a unique pair at E220/L122. E220 was organized on Nov. 1, 1882 at 532-11th St. where they remained until Jan. 1, 1907. That's when they moved into a new firehouse nextdoor at 530-11th St. On that same date, L122 was organized at E220's former firehouse at 532-11th St.

As to why they built separate but adjoining firehouses at that time? Apparently they would assign a captain to each house so if you put the companies in separate houses, each company would have a captain.

Gotta be some grumblings from the chauffeur of the front rig when he has to get up at 3am for the back rig to get out 🤣