A,B,C companies

Question: I’m not sure if this is still used but what is an A, B, or C company and what determines that designation?

Question: I’m not sure if this is still used but what is an A, B, or C company and what determines that designation?
Was intended for the original rotation firefighters who got on the job between 1995-2001 to get experience in a “busy” house, a “slow” house, and a “middle of the road” house. One of the companies was their assigned unit where they went first, and then didnt come back for two years. Although some put their paper in for a place they really liked and didnt come back, or came back for a short time. Was two engines and a truck or two trucks and an engine.

Produced in my opinion the best firefighters I’ve ever worked with.

A form of it is in place now, with probies going out of borough for a year to either a truck or engine based on current assignment. I’m not sure what criteria is currently being used as far as “A,B,C” companies but it seems like many from “slow” places are going to busy places, and Vice versa. The rest seem to be going to similar workload areas with just completely different building construction, which is very helpful also.