mack

Administrator

FDNY Fire Service Line of Duty Death

April 7, 1931 - LODD
Fireman John Degnan, 36
Engine 35
FDNY. East Harlem, New York

DENG.gif

Engine 35 collision with truck - hit 3rd Avenue pillar at 123rd Street.

Fireman John Degnan of Engine 35 was killed and four other firemen were injured while responding to a fire. The accident resulted from efforts to avert a collision with a delivery truck on East 123rd Street. The driver of the truck turned his wheels away from the fire truck and fainted. Engine 35 slammed into the truck, a limousine and an elevated pillar throwing everybody to the street. Captain Martin Tarpey, Firemen John Degnan and John Coddington were on the side that hit the elevated pillar. Captain Tarpey lost his leg, Coddington received a fractured skull and a brain concussion but both recovered from their injuries. Fireman Degnan became a fireman in 1915 and was single. (From "The Last Alarm" by Boucher, Urbanowicz & Melahn, 2007)

RIP. Never forget.

Last edited:

mack

Administrator
Where was Beth Moses Hospital?
Phil -

Beth Moses Hospital
404 Hart Street, Brooklyn.
Demolished for city housing.

It had merged in 1947:

1947 2 HOSPITALS MERGE IN SOUTH BROOKLYN; Beth Moses and Israel Zion to Be Known as Maimonides -- 'Acute' and 'Chronic' Units

July 31, 1947

Aimed at providing better coordinated medical facilities in Brooklyn, Beth Moses and Israel Zion Hospitals announced last night their merger into a single institution to be known as Maimonides Hospital.

beth.gif

No reason stated for transport to a Brooklyn hospital.

Last edited:
No reason stated for transport to a Brooklyn hospital.
Very strange, I got the same answer when I looked it up and figured I must've missed something. As I can't think of a reason to transport him to Brooklyn from Harlem, especially considering he lived in the Bronx. I suppose it's a mystery whose answer has been lost to time.