OPEN GANGWAY SUBWAY CARS.

What are the ramifications regarding extension of a Fire or a Haz Mat situation with this lack of compartmentalization ? ....

www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/open-gangway-subway-cars-r211t-mta-improvements/
Chief I doubt the ‘City’ really gives Fire Safety a much of a factor, that’s why they have FDNY to handle the matter. Like Lithium Batteries it’s too political to consider. Anything that does not have gas powered transportation involved is good no matter the unintended consequences.

I heard they aren't allowed on express routes, I'm curious if anyone knows why.
Incase of an emergency brake activation, the operator and conductor has to manually check each and every individual brake on both sides. According to the MTA due to the open gangway the operator and conductor(s) cannot safely check the brakes while on the express platform (even though you cant check the brakes on one side of the local track..)

What are the ramifications regarding extension of a Fire or a Haz Mat situation with this lack of compartmentalization ? ....

www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/open-gangway-subway-cars-r211t-mta-improvements/
A bunch of major metro areas and interurban rail carriers, primarily in Japan/Europe use the "open car" passthru design. My experience has been that MUs are capped at 4 or 6 car consists between hard stop endpoints. Max consist is usually 8 cars in this format in Europe but is much longer in Japan.

In the end it just gives the riders in several cars more time btwn 125th and 59th to appreciate the floor show of 12 kids doing acrobatics for M&M Peanut bags or even Mike the reformed crackheads' preaching about being a "good crackhead"

A bunch of major metro areas and interurban rail carriers, primarily in Japan/Europe use the "open car" passthru design. My experience has been that MUs are capped at 4 or 6 car consists between hard stop endpoints. Max consist is usually 8 cars in this format in Europe but is much longer in Japan.

In the end it just gives the riders in several cars more time btwn 125th and 59th to appreciate the floor show of 12 kids doing acrobatics for M&M Peanut bags or even Mike the reformed crackheads' preaching about being a "good crackhead"
Makes it easier to run car to car when the shooting starts.

If a train operator transmits a 12-9 which means a person is under the train, the emergency crews have to rip open the gangway in order to retrieve the person, depending on where the person under car is.