2/23/24 Manhattan 2nd Alarm Box 1647

Definitely not a fan of NY Daily News editorials & most reporting, but I gotta give credit when due - 3 LSR rescues on the News' front page.
NY Post blew this one - Page 23????? - really!!!!!!!
I don't remember 3 LSR rescues in 1 day, let alone the same job
Pretty sure it was 2 LSR rescues at the midtown job in 2022 & 2 in midtown with R1 in 1991
Getting pissed at shit like this isn't even worth it. The DN doesn't even put up 9/11 as the lead on the anniversary.

Aviation was there before FD.

They were probably in the air already, heard it over their SOD channel and took it in. They fly the Air Recon Chiefs and are very familiar with our terminology. While they're flying, they're listening to the chief's transmissions to dispatch or the command channel.
The PD pilot could be a LI vol so he would know the terminology. I know of one personally.

The PD pilot could be a LI vol so he would know the terminology. I know of one personally.
Yes the pilot is a vollie and also has a cousin in a Rescue and another that is a LT in the 15th if not more family on the job. They were in the area and 84 with first due companies. He has come over Brooklyn freq a few times relaying information to companies for brush fires in Gerritsen.

The FDNY air recon chief usually comes in with lots of static when communicating over fire scenes, the NYPD transmission at this job came thru crystal clear, I was thinking maybe air recon should use the PD radio instead

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
The FDNY air recon chief usually comes in with lots of static when communicating over fire scenes, the NYPD transmission at this job came thru crystal clear, I was thinking maybe air recon should use the PD radio instead
PD helicopters are equipped with radios that can transmit on any of the public safety radio frequencies. Since federal funds were used to purchase the choppers NYPD had to agree they the equipment can be used for a regional area just like FDNY's marine units and other specialized apparatus and equipment. So they require the specialized multi-band radios.

When I was a Lieutenant in Tower Ladder 21, in the 1980s, Rescue 1 was quartered with us and Eng. 34. We all responded to a fire in a on 7th Ave. at W. 47 St. At that fire Rescue 1 made two (2) Lifesaving Roof Rope Rescues at one fire, with the assistance of the Roofman from L-24. At the same fire my roof team from Tower Ladder 21 got reports of an officer in trouble and in danger on the fire floor, = the top floor. and was in a "Bowland on a Bite" =Rope harness knot, ready to be lowered off the roof down to the endangered officer on the top floor. At the same time members of multiple units, including my own unit TL-21were attempting to reach those trapped via the interior of the building. The endangered officer was found and safely removed to the floor below the fire, so the 3rd Lifesaving Rope Rescue was not needed. FDNY members practice the Lifesaving Rope Evolutions enough that Handi-Talkie radio chatter is kept to a minimum. A "substantial object" must be found to anchor the firefighter lowering his brother/sister firefighter, to the person/s trapped. Years ago, we would use the Parapet wall to hold the hook of the lowering firefighter in place, but this is NOT Safe. All too often the Parapet/s are so deteriorated that they fail when the pressure of the Life Saving Belt Hook is placed against them. A good friend of mine was lowering a brother fireman in a roof rope rescue, when the Lifesaving Belt Hook pulled right through the parapet almost collapsing the Parapet wall. Other Firemen on the roof held the Parapet wall in place until the rescue was made.
Photos Below of the 7th Ave, Roof Rope rescues. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.FDNY 2 LSR Rescue on 7th ave. & 47 St..jpgFDNY 7th Ave. LSRope Rescue in COLOR.png

FDNY Rescues are listening to PD frequency to get information on incidents that FD is assigned or should be assigned to . Many times FD units have to rely on PD radio to get the correct info on pin jobs, building collapses etc.They are not responding to shootings or hostage situations because they should not be anywhere near an incident of that sort .
That being said , ESU should not be responding to fires for the same reason.
Yes I know. That's why I said that. They listen into PD Freq to get the jump on jobs while PD is sending the job info to FD. PD will dispatch ESU before passing the job onto FD

Never suggested Rescues should be attending shootings or hostage situations