D-7
RAC-1

Relocations:
E-83 to E-90
L-48 to L-39
B-26 to B-15

Last edited:
Need the machine traffic agents have.
Can’t have 4 or 5 guys standing around scratching their heads trying to write a ticket. And have the vehicle owner show up

Need the machine traffic agents have.
Can’t have 4 or 5 guys standing around scratching their heads trying to write a ticket. And have the vehicle owner show up
I had a lieutenant who loved to give hydrant summonses. You get good at it if you do it enough. He said we should learn to do it quickly so if the owner shows up you're not standing there for any amount of time.
Decades later I still remember section 81B - code 40, though I don't know if that's the same today.

Forgive me if I have contributed this story before, but my father always enjoyed telling it.

1960s, a new building erected aside the northbound lanes of the Bronx River Parkway, the quarters of NYPD Motorcycle Unit #1. The first of its kind in the City, this unit was an attempt to embrace new state of the art highway policing tactics.

A firefighter in Engine Company 88, commuting from Queens, is pulled over on the Parkway by one of the motorcycle policemen. The firefighter flashes his tin and explains he is a little bit late getting to his 6x9 tour at his firehouse. The police officer, resplendent in his fancy helmet, sunglasses, and jodpurs (that was their uniform back then) arrogantly refuses the firefighters mercy plea and issues him a speeding ticket. And so, arriving a bit late for his tour, the fireman has some 'splaining to do to my old man, the officer on duty in 88 Engine that night.

A few days pass and E88 gets a run right down the street on Belmont Avenue near Crescent Avenue. Food on the stove, no hookup required. However, a civilian motorcycle is parked blocking the hydrant in front of the building. Before taking up, my dad grabs the summons book (carried on the rig) and begins to write a ticket for the offense.

Just then a guy in civilian clothes rushes out of the building holding his NYPD badge, explaining it is his motorcycle. Of course, he expects no ticket for him.

At that, an observing firefighter from my dad's platoon steps up and says,
"Let me get this, Loo". And so he did, writing a ticket to the same guy who had got him on the Bronx River Parkway a few days before. In my dad's words, the cop just stood there looking like a fool.

Revenge always sweeter when served cold.