6/10/24 Miami FL 3rd Alarm

Fire Location: 431 Northwest 3rd St

Multiple Apartments on fire of a large apartment building

Multiple rescues

1 person with a GSW to the chest

Collapse Reported

Last edited:
They are hampered by access problems and heavy tree presence which is making ladder/ tower ladder access difficult. Also look how quickly fire spread across the attic of this modern building and how quickly a partial roof collapse occurred. Architects, engineers, and builders don’t give a dam: lightweight construction, cheap materials, OSB roof decking, and the code officials and politicians approve the site plans. They make our difficult job even more difficult. This is the result of trading access and robust Fire protection features for maximum profit. The Miami members are fighting this battle in 90 degree heat with a very oppressive 80+ percent humidity. Hang in there brothers. Stay safe

Florida's residential insurance rates are already 40% above the national average. This isn't going to help. You would think that whoever holds the loan on this building (or the insurer) would insist on stopped attic spaces and sprinklers everywhere.

Right now in Houston it is 91 degrees and 75% humidity. HFD had an overnight apartment fire. On the TV news video, the only guy in full gear was the safety officer. Until October, the Chief's first order is "Gimme a good 15 minutes".

Wow what a mess. Hopefully the MFD members stay safe, sure sounds like a suspicious situation all around between the rapid spread and the shooting victim. Per the livestream they are now using foam as well and I overheard they are drafting from the Miami River

They are hampered by access problems and heavy tree presence which is making ladder/ tower ladder access difficult. Also look how quickly fire spread across the attic of this modern building and how quickly a partial roof collapse occurred. Architects, engineers, and builders don’t give a dam: lightweight construction, cheap materials, OSB roof decking, and the code officials and politicians approve the site plans. They make our difficult job even more difficult. This is the result of trading access and robust Fire protection features for maximum profit. The Miami members are fighting this battle in 90 degree heat with a very oppressive 80+ percent humidity. Hang in there brothers. Stay safe

I live across the street from a trio of newbuild 'high end' apartment buildings that are 4-story structures made entirely of wood framing. I couldn't believe it as they were going up that not a single steel beam was used during the process, and I didn't see any fireproofing foam going onto the beams when they started closing up the walls. Crazy to think they passed code.

Last edited:
The city is made out of concrete and sprinklers
The mayor must be out of touch. Miami Dade which surrounds Miami City has multiple alarm fires all the time. In Broward County (next county to the north) Broward County Fire, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Pompano Beach, Sunrise, Coral Springs, etc frequently have multiple alarms including an occasional 3rd or 4th

The mayor must be out of touch. Miami Dade which surrounds Miami City has multiple alarm fires all the time. In Broward County (next county to the north) Broward County Fire, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Pompano Beach, Sunrise, Coral Springs, etc frequently have multiple alarms including an occasional 3rd or 4th
Chief, not that I disagree about MDFR, but regarding Miami City proper how often do they get multiples from your observation? A cursory glance at the Miami Herald showed maybe two second alarms last year.

I can honestly say I don’t know about City of Miami. But as for the rest of south Florida, they get em. Nice job doing the research. Love it. Stay safe brother.

I can honestly say I don’t know about City of Miami. But as for the rest of south Florida, they get em. Nice job doing the research. Love it. Stay safe brother.
I have a friend who used to work there that would say the quote I posted, he always said it was amazing how few fires they had. But you're certainly right, about the surroundings departments.

This building was built in 1920. A little old right? In NY it's considered old law. Access was difficult. Would this building have a cockloft? Are they equipped with a nozzle like the FDNY and other departments? Trench Cut considered? I know lots of questions.