The Tradition Continues...
Download all attachments as a zip file
  • thumbnail

IMG_2838.jpg
    228.6kB
  • thumbnail

IMG_2233.jpg
    110.6kB

RET FF ROBERT E. OLSEN LAD*120 / ENG*329 ...VIETNAM VETERAN.

On 6-21-24 at 81 yrs of age.....Appt 9-14-68 & Assigned to LAD*120....REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US ARMY GREEN BERET'S VIETNAM) & FDNY.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.......
Bob was a próby classmate of mine in the 9-14-68 to 10-26-68 class & worked in 120 for a good portion of their heaviest Fire Duty....Bob lived in BKLYN & took a bus to work up Kings Hiway to the Western end of Pitkin Ave then walked the many blocks East on Pitkin to the FH....Bob was also a Chauffeur in 120....in the '90s Bob transferred to 329.... at that time he lived in an apt above the old barn looking former gas station / auto repair on the East side of Crossbay Blvd in Broad Channel just before the old Toll Booths.going into Rockaway on Crossbay Blvd....while working in 329 Bob rode a bicycle back & forth to the FH.....I worked there for a short period while Bob was there ....often there he drove me & even though Bob had an extensive background ...Military ...FDNY & life in general & was a very capable fellow ....he never said much & definitely never bragged.....always a pleasure to be around.....

Visitation
Thursday June 27, 2024 3:00pm-7:00pm
Hillebrand Funeral Home Broad Channel
1238 Cross Bay Blvd
Broad Channel NY

Service
Friday June 28, 2024 10:00am
St. Virgilius RC Church
16 Noel Road
Broad Channel NY

Internment
Calverton National Cemetery
210 Princeton Blvd
Calverton NY

hillebrandfuneralhomes.com/book-of-memories/5449331/Olsen-Robert/index.php
Rest easy brother. Prayers and condolences to your family

RET FF ROBERT E. OLSEN LAD*120 / ENG*329 ...VIETNAM VETERAN.

On 6-21-24 at 81 yrs of age.....Appt 9-14-68 & Assigned to LAD*120....REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US ARMY GREEN BERET'S VIETNAM) & FDNY.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.......
Bob was a próby classmate of mine in the 9-14-68 to 10-26-68 class & worked in 120 for a good portion of their heaviest Fire Duty....Bob lived in BKLYN & took a bus to work up Kings Hiway to the Western end of Pitkin Ave then walked the many blocks East on Pitkin to the FH....Bob was also a Chauffeur in 120....in the '90s Bob transferred to 329.... at that time he lived in an apt above the old barn looking former gas station / auto repair on the East side of Crossbay Blvd in Broad Channel just before the old Toll Booths.going into Rockaway on Crossbay Blvd....while working in 329 Bob rode a bicycle back & forth to the FH.....I worked there for a short period while Bob was there ....often there he drove me & even though Bob had an extensive background ...Military ...FDNY & life in general & was a very capable fellow ....he never said much & definitely never bragged.....always a pleasure to be around.....

Visitation
Thursday June 27, 2024 3:00pm-7:00pm
Hillebrand Funeral Home Broad Channel
1238 Cross Bay Blvd
Broad Channel NY

Service
Friday June 28, 2024 10:00am
St. Virgilius RC Church
16 Noel Road
Broad Channel NY

Internment
Calverton National Cemetery
210 Princeton Blvd
Calverton NY

hillebrandfuneralhomes.com/book-of-memories/5449331/Olsen-Robert/index.php
RIP Brother...Thank you for your service.

Working side by side during the war years with the legends of 120, I knew all their first names. But Olsen as I recall was not known by his first name to me but only as Ollie. RIP Brother.

RET FF NORMAN L. NEWKIRK R*1.....
On 3-22-2024 at 87 yrs of age...Appt 9-14-68....RET 8-1-89......
REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (USMC) & FDNY.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES...SEMPER FI !
Nuke was another proby classmate of mine from the 9-14-68 to 10-26-68 proby class....he was appt to LAD*26 then later transferred to R*1 .....I first met Nuke when we were taking the FDNY entrance physical....one of the events was doing situps with a weight bar behind your neck.....your ankles were held by another candidate...I was holding Nuke's ankles.....the physical was qualifying ...you only had to pass by completing a minimum on the events.....maxing out did not add to your score....the proctors were stopping each event when a minimum was reached to speed things up....when Nuke reached his pass mark on the situps the proctor told him "good stop"....he kept going trying to max out...the proctor told him again to stop but he kept doing situps so the proctor told me to let go of his ankles but I thought he might get hurt so I kept holding his ankles & Nuke kept doing situps ....now I am thinking to myself "this guy is going to get both of us kicked out "... Nuke did the max number & stopped & the proctor made a few snide remarks then sent us to the next event......after Nuke went to R*1 we got to work together a few times on some jobs....in addition to being a good FF he was a asset to the Dive Team.......Services were already held...
chapeyfamily.com/tribute/details/5931/Norman-Newkirk/service-information.html#content-start

I had the honor of working with Norm Newkirk when he was in Rescue 1, and I was a Lieutenant assigned to Tower Ladder 21. Norm was a great firefighter and a great guy you will be missed brother. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

*From Gettin Salty Fans Page on facebook*
Ret FF Danny Noonan
Appointed in 1973 to L3 until 1975 (Laid off). Rehired in 76 went to L31.
L9 from 1980-1993.
He was the first due irons man at the telephone company fire in 1975. He was an avid advocate for cancer screening and helped get a memorial plaque for the telephone company fire.

^^^^^^ FROM LIAM NOONAN: I regretfully inform everyone that Dan Noonan (Ret. FDNY L-3, L-31, L-9) passed away today surrounded by his daughters and loved ones. Dan was an avid advocate of cancer screening due to his time at the NYC Telephone Company Fire of 1975. Attached is his episode from the Gettin’ Salty Experience Podcast. Please feel free to comment or message me with any stories or memories you have of him, which will be shared with his family

^^^^On 7-26-24 at 85 yrs of age...
REST IN PEACE BROTHER....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY ( US ARMY ) & FDNY.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES....

Subject: Passing of FF William Rossiter

It is with deep regret to announce the passing of FF William "Ratso" Rossiter....

RIP Billy Aka "Ratso" who was a member of E231 and a long time aide in B44. He spent 33 years on Watkins Street from 1967-2000. He truly loved the flaming typewriter and his beloved firehouse. As a trusted aide he helped many chiefs along the way! Please keep the Rossiter family in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Services are as follows
Wake
July 30th 2024
2:00 pm-4:00 pm
7:00 pm- 9:00 pm
Raynor & D'Andrea Funeral Home
245 Main Street
West Sayville, NY 11796

Funeral
July 31st 2024
10:00am
St John's Nepomucene