ANOTHER WAR YEARS VET PASSES.

^^^^ It saddens me to hear the news that Billy (Ratso) has passed. Like chief Jack had said, He spent 33 years on Watkins Street from 1967 to 2000, can you imagine the amount of fire that he saw in all those years. I was lucky enough to have worked on Watkins Street for 10 years (87-97) and have many fond memories of Ratso and his stories. He introduced himself to me on my first day there, welcome to Watkins street and I won't hold it against you that you're in the truck. Billy took great pride being an aide in "THE 44 BATTALION". As chief Jack also alluded to he helped many chiefs and officers, that is true but most important he helped the brothers. One quick example would be a "secret memo" came down from the upper powers of the department that the chiefs had to conduct unannounced visits to the fire houses to make sure that the members were in their proper work uniforms and that the chiefs had to file reports to the division and the borrough. We had great chiefs in the 44 and they didn't care about what you wore as long as you did your job and yes, we had alot of fire duty. But we had one chief who was a short timer and was rapidly plotting his career to make it to the top. Hence, an 8 pm uniform check of all the companies in the battalion. Ratso was working that night and he stopped at the house watch and told the house watchman to call all the companies and warn them about the uniform check. The chief was sitting in the rig saying "cmon Billy lets go", Ratso told the chief "I have to use the "sh**ter" , I think it was something I ate something that didn,'t agree with me". Fifteen minutes later, Billy come down and off they went. When they returned, this chief was not happy that all the companies were in compliance with the uniform code. Ratso had a grin on his face from ear to ear and gave the house watchman a great thumbs up. That's just one example of the pride Ratso had for WATKINS STREET. When I transferred out, Ratso said to me "I won't hold it against you that you are going to a Rescue Company" and then gave me a big hug.. REST IN PEACE BROTHER

RET FF JAMES V. LARKIN LAD*114....

On 7-23-24 at almost 90 yrs of age....RET 1995 after 33 yrs OTJ...
REST IN PEACE BROTHER ....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US ARMY) & FDNY....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES....

^^^^^^^ Joe Ward and I lived in the same county, up in the mountains. I would see Joe at the local diner and if we needed help, I would go to his place or he to mine. (brother helping brother) I was saddened to read in the local rag sheet that Joe had passed. He had a very simple graveside service and no one including I, knew where Joe had worked. He was a very quiet person and did not brag about his time in the FDNY. So I wanted to give Joe an identity and the recognition he deserved. Hence, I contaccted Chief Jack. Within a week he compiled Joe's history in the FDNY as you see above. Thank you Chief Jack and also, thank Herb. We all owe Chief Jack for his time and effort that he puts into this sight. And keeping us informed of the passing of our brothers and sisters.

FF JAMES LARKIN LAD*114 ....see reply # 2487 above....

65-2 Ret FF James V. Larkin (DSCO) Ladder Co 114

DOD: 7/23/24. Ret. 11/27/95 Yrs. Of Serv. 33

Memorial Visitation: Tues. 9/3/24 8:00 - 10:00 AM

Clavin Funeral Home
7722 4th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY11209

Funeral Mass: Tues. 9/3/24 10:30 AM. (Same morning)

Our Lady of Angels RC Church
7320 4th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11209

RET CPT WILLIAM G. GUNTHER ENG*290..... KOREAN WAR VETERAN.

On 9-3-24 at 89 yrs of age....REST IN PEACE BROTHER....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (KOREAN WAR ) & FDNY....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES...... My first tour as a Covering LT was in 290 relieving Bill Gunther the CPT....yrs later his Son Ken (now RET) was a longtime FF in my BN. in LAD*138 ....

www.raynordandrea.com/obituary/William-Gunther

RET. FF. RICHARD CASTA. L 140

Richie was appointed in 1965 and was assigned to. Engine 319 before he transferred to E 233-2. He later transfed to our neighboring truck L 140. Richie retired in 2002

Last edited:
Richie was also in Eng 233-2, and came from 319, when it was established Aug. 6, 1968. He went to Eng 291 when 233-2 was closed on Nov. 24, 1972. He was the chauffer in 233-2 the day of the Chester St. collapse back in Oct 1970, we were 1st due and we hooked up at the corner of East NY and Chester and he had to move the rig when building was near collapse and eventually did. RIP Richie!

Sad news....This took place in May 2024 in New Hyde Park , L.I . NY.....
REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.
I worked a side job with Richie (along with Tom H. & Lee I. ) on & off for several years....the four of us spent a lot of time together working all around NYC .....Richie was a hard worker & an interesting fellow.

Last edited:
Richie was also in Eng 233-2, and came from 319, when it was established Aug. 6, 1968. He went to Eng 291 when 233-2 was closed on Nov. 24, 1972. He was the chauffer in 233-2 the day of the Chester St. collapse back in Oct 1970, we were 1st due and we hooked up at the corner of East NY and Chester and he had to move the rig when building was near collapse and eventually did. RIP Richie!
Thanks for the assist regarding Richie. I rememberwhen he came to 319 as a probie.
Whenever 140 got a run towards 319s area he was always driving. Sorry to see another Line Wolf pass