Who responds on a medical branch call ??? In route etc.

No they have not….
OPG 106-32 PRU Pilot Program dated 6/28/24.

3.1 The PRU will operate as a designated non-transport Advanced Life Support (ALS)
resource. PRUs will respond to 911 assignments and render pre-hospital care consistent with New York State Department of Health (DOH) and New York City (NYC) REMAC
protocols. PRUs will accompany the transport capable resource only when ALS
intervention is required.

1000004001.jpg1000004002.jpg

I hope the BLS was increased in the areas that no longer have transport capable ALS units. Many a patient went to the hospital on the rear seat during the PRU program in the late 1980's. Paramedics were left with no choice when patients needed rapid transport and no BLS was available or in reasonable proximity. Granted we have many more BLS units now than we did then but, with the current workload, ER turnaround times, units declaring they are unavailable when called for assignment combined with all of the "improvements" to the city's roadways that inherently create vehicular congestion I am not overly optimistic about the success of the program.

Don't get me wrong. I believe in the PRU concept but only when it's properly staffed with 2 regular medics in an appropriate vehicle and properly supported by an appropriate number of BLS units. In the end people will still need to be taken to the hospital and that requires transport ambulances. Im glad they left the bench seat in the rear of those re labeled ambulances now acting as PRU's because you can be certain that sooner or later two Paramedics will be placed in a position requiring them to do what best for their patient.

At this point all I can ask is that the BLS look out for the ALS because they are surely going to need you. Respond without delay when assigned and keep the medics from having to make "that" transport decision.