Television from a different time

This was another one of my favorites.

It ran on NBC for Six seasons .
It managed to peak at Number 2 in the ratings, only behind the TV series "All in the Family"

Do you remember, "Ready Freddie Who Ain't Too Steady" ?

Here, Fred is convinced he's dying.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=81G1Ls_TsfM

I remember when UHF came into being. You had to buy a TV that now had "U" for a channel as well as the second knob for channels 14-82. In Boston we got TV 38 which became the home of the Bruins and later Red Sox and Channel 56. Going from one channel to the other was accompanied by a loud series of clicks. And the TV was better then than now! Tuesday was "Combat" in b/w, Sunday was Kojak, the Equalizer, and Mission Impossible.

Lets take you back to the year 1955 on black and white TV to the Perry Como Show.
As a 6 year old kid I remember sitting on the living room floor with my parents (if my father wasn't working at the firehouse) and my grandmother sitting in their favorite chairs every week watching this show.

Here's a song that maybe some of you will remember and can join in and sing-a-long

Come On, "Don't Be Shy".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCyUOvWBhJE

remember it well...life was so much simpler than
and the youngest grandchild was responsible to get up and change the channel and adjust the rabbit ears
just like the junior man had to R&R the pull box
good times

I was told the series "Victory at Sea" was on Sunday afternoons. Narrated by Peter Graves, AKA "Good morning Mr Phelps".

I think the absolute BEST ending episode for a show of any kind was the one for "Newhart". The show had Bob as a hotel owner, with Mary Frann as his wife, an an eclectic group of supporting players including Tom Poston, Julia Duffy, Peter Scolari and William Sanderson (Hi, I'm Larry, and this is my brother Darryl, and this is my other brother Darryl). The show ran for 8 years, from 1982 to 1990. Anyway, the very last episode showed Bob waking up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette, his wife from the earlier Bob Newhart Show, and telling her, "I've just had the strangest dream . . . I dreamt I owned a hotel . . ."

I think the absolute BEST ending episode for a show of any kind was the one for "Newhart". The show had Bob as a hotel owner, with Mary Frann as his wife, an an eclectic group of supporting players including Tom Poston, Julia Duffy, Peter Scolari and William Sanderson (Hi, I'm Larry, and this is my brother Darryl, and this is my other brother Darryl). The show ran for 8 years, from 1982 to 1990. Anyway, the very last episode showed Bob waking up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette, his wife from the earlier Bob Newhart Show, and telling her, "I've just had the strangest dream . . . I dreamt I owned a hotel . . ."
His office in the first series was on Chicago's Michigan Avenue, across from the Tribune Tower.

I remember my parents had The Button Down Mind Of Bob Newhart album. His ability to have a one sided telephone conversation and make it funny was genius. The Bob Newhart Show had some hilarious characters in his office as did Newhart. Something about him just made you sit, relax and enjoy his great talent

He worked with Suzanne Pleshette on his first show and 1 episode of Newhart and her husband on both shows.

I remember my parents had The Button Down Mind Of Bob Newhart album. His ability to have a one sided telephone conversation and make it funny was genius. The Bob Newhart Show had some hilarious characters in his office as did Newhart. Something about him just made you sit, relax and enjoy his great talent
Bob Newhart recorded "The Button-Down Mind of Bob Newhart" in April 1960 at the carpet joint Tidelands Motor Inn on South Main Street across from Rice University in Houston.

Just down South Main was the Shamrock Hotel. The hotel was built by oil wild-catter tycoon Glenn McCarthy (1907-1988). McCarthy was the model for the James Dean character Jett Rink in the Academy Award winning movie "Giant".

I worked in an office across from the Tidelands in the 1980"s. By then the place was a dump. Both of these buildings are long gone ( the Shamrock was the scene of a fourth alarm during demolition)- replaced by hi-rise research buildings for Rice and Texas A&M Universities.