8/3/24 Queens 5th Alarm Box 5289

17:01
L138 Act. 162,31 Act. 152,155

17:05
B45

17:13
E285,238 Act. 299,218 Act. 275,258 Act. ??

Relocation:
L173 act. 150

@Hank

Last edited:
Last edited:
Does anybody know the rules around Division relocations? As someone else mentioned, pretty rare to see a division relocated. Obviously the 14th is a huge geographic area so I can understand wanting that covered off, but obviously we don't see a relocation every time D14 goes to a multiple, so I am curious what the trigger is?

Additionally, does anybody know if D3 would relocate to D14's quarters or if they might pick a central location between D3 and D14, say, somewhere in the 46 or 49s areas? Just curious. Thanks.

Does anybody know the rules around Division relocations? As someone else mentioned, pretty rare to see a division relocated. Obviously the 14th is a huge geographic area so I can understand wanting that covered off, but obviously we don't see a relocation every time D14 goes to a multiple, so I am curious what the trigger is?

Additionally, does anybody know if D3 would relocate to D14's quarters or if they might pick a central location between D3 and D14, say, somewhere in the 46 or 49s areas? Just curious. Thanks.
I think they relocated because at the time of this 5th there was another AH in Astoria so DIV 13 was now unavailable making both Queens divisions unavailable. Add that to the incredibly thin coverage and far relocations - probably what made them relocate a DIV into the borough

gym

Same box as the 5th alarm at Francis Lewis Blvd. and Hillside Avenue in the Sarno's War Years video in 1961. You can see at least a 25 year old 1934 or 1936 FWD in the video, possibly L152.

Another fire started outside and with the massive fire load of decks, deck furniture , BBQ tanks, who knows what ever other stored material in rear and in this case cars, fire gets into numerous buildings almost simultaneously as open windows, doors, failed windows, eves, siding , etc…

Extremely dangerous for trucks searching without lines with them and for everyone operating as fire enters house on numerous floors at once

The major tactical problem is getting water on the outside fire. A line has to get to the rear.
As the saying goes- "You can't win on the inside until you start winning on the outside."

It's extremely difficult to get the whole picture in a rapidly developing situation like this. Chaotic radio traffic and fire showing up everywhere, etc. It's exceedingly easy to figure out a strategy the next day ;).

Once again, I ask what good is the "New Super Pumper" if it is never used even for serious fire such as this. I have fought many serious major fires including 11th & 12 Alarms and the OLD Super Pumper made a difference in these major fires. The only sure way to control is Large Diameter Hose suppling Tower Ladders and Satellite Deck Guns & Apparatus mounted Stang large Caliber streams. 2 1/2" straight streams are also of some value but require a lot of manpower. Chief's Call Enough Help Early & Often and get large Caliber stream in place early if you want to stop an advanced fire. Well intended brave firefighters with 1 3/4" are great for smaller fires and for overhaul but big fires they are of little real use. As Chicago F.D. Saya "Reset the Fire" at advanced fires then an interior attack may be successful without as much endangering of the members.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

The IC had to special call for it on multiple alarms.

Not seeing 11th & 12th Alarms anymore

And when would they special call it? By the 3rd alarm?

By the time it gets there they fire would be out

Last edited:
Once again, I ask what good is the "New Super Pumper" if it is never used even for serious fire such as this. I have fought many serious major fires including 11th & 12 Alarms and the OLD Super Pumper made a difference in these major fires. The only sure way to control is Large Diameter Hose suppling Tower Ladders and Satellite Deck Guns & Apparatus mounted Stang large Caliber streams. 2 1/2" straight streams are also of some value but require a lot of manpower. Chief's Call Enough Help Early & Often and get large Caliber stream in place early if you want to stop an advanced fire. Well intended brave firefighters with 1 3/4" are great for smaller fires and for overhaul but big fires they are of little real use. As Chicago F.D. Saya "Reset the Fire" at advanced fires then an interior attack may be successful without as much endangering of the members.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired
Cap the “new” super pumper is not designed for this.

Skyler,
What is it designed for? How do they want to use it?
It’s for fuel farms, large factories, even if they wanted to use it at this fire there is no body of water. It would need 2 or 3 large water mains to supply it or 343, FF2 or 2 of the HS pumps.

It’s for fuel farms, large factories, even if they wanted to use it at this fire there is no body of water. It would need 2 or 3 large water mains to supply it or 343, FF2 or 2 of the HS pumps.
Thanks. I know it need a large water source

Please tell me what good is the new super pumper, if it is not designed for really big fires.? The water sources to supply it do exist, when multiple large diameter supply hose lines are. connected to hydrants on large water mains. I worked in the old Mack Super Pumper system from time to time in the 1970s. With the right Water Main Maps and the right members using the right supply lines it does work. 1 3/4" handline can save buildings from manageable fires. The use of larger streams is required for truly advanced fires that have self-vented; it often is the only way to save not only the building but perhaps the block. I you truly feel that if you limit yourself to 1 3/4" hose you are in for a lot of bad outcomes at advanced fires. "The use of 1 3/4" hose must be compatible with fire conditions" FDNY Fire Tactic and Procedures -Engine Co. Operations.
In my 50 years of firefighting, I have seen many buildings lost because of the mis use of 1 3/4" Handlines, when large hoseline were really what was needed. "Big Fire Big Hose - Little Fire Little Hose" it is truly that simple. BELOW recent Queens FDNY 5th Alarm in the rear of flat roof Private FDNY 5th Alarm Qns. 8 P.D.s in Rear.jpgdwellings Captain Bob Rainey FDNY engine 26 retired