8/3/24 Queens 5th Alarm Box 5289

Please tell me what good is the new super pumper, if it is not designed for really big fires.? The water sources to supply it do exist, when multiple large diameter supply hose lines are. connected to hydrants on large water mains. I worked in the old Mack Super Pumper system from time to time in the 1970s. With the right Water Main Maps and the right members using the right supply lines it does work. 1 3/4" handline can save buildings from manageable fires. The use of larger streams is required for truly advanced fires that have self-vented; it often is the only way to save not only the building but perhaps the block. I you truly feel that if you limit yourself to 1 3/4" hose you are in for a lot of bad outcomes at advanced fires. "The use of 1 3/4" hose must be compatible with fire conditions" FDNY Fire Tactic and Procedures -Engine Co. Operations.
In my 50 years of firefighting, I have seen many buildings lost because of the mis use of 1 3/4" Handlines, when large hoseline were really what was needed. "Big Fire Big Hose - Little Fire Little Hose" it is truly that simple. BELOW recent Queens FDNY 5th Alarm in the rear of flat roof Private View attachment 45222dwellings Captain Bob Rainey FDNY engine 26 retired
There was a Boston District Chief whose method of operation was big line on everything. There was a relief Lt who had the company pull a small line on what they though was a minor mattress fire when it flared up on them. They took a beating in that room until the second company advanced into the room with a big line. After that the Lt pulled a big line on everything!