1000gpm pumpers

The department has just started bids for 5 1000gpm squad pumpers, are they for the HMTU units plus a spare?any one know what they are for?

BCR

Could it be that they are now going to start replacing squads at 7 years like other special units ?

I know SQ1 got a new rig 4 or 5 years ago, so they wouldn't be up for a new one yet.

Word is they are for the 4 HMTU companies and the fifth is for SQ8 so they have a new rig.  There would then be a fairly new spare available in the 2014 the SQ8 currently has. 

FDNYTRUCKScom said:
Word is they are for the 4 HMTU companies and the fifth is for SQ8 so they have a new rig.  There would then be a fairly new spare available in the 2014 the SQ8 currently has.

My thoughts exactly

Correct, engine 165 did have a squad pumper for a little while already then it went to squad when they formed

I?m sure I missed it before, what?s the reasoning for the squad style trucks only being 1000gpm vs. the 2000gpm like the rest of the engines?

Bulldog

Bulldog
Going back to 1000gpm from 2000gpm really doesn't make much sense, especially considering these units are dispatched the same as a conventional engine company would be. The actual size of the pump is not that great and not having every engine on scene has the same capacity could limit the scene commanders options. He would have to think about the pump capacity of a unit when assigning them a task. Cost would be another possible reason but again it's minimal compared to the overall price of the unit.

I would certainly like to hear the official reasoning for this.

I may be reading it wrong but the Ops Ref says only 2 handlines operate from one pumper, or if supplying a large caliber stream only one hand line.

THEY ARE DISPATCHED AS A REGULAR ENGINE ONLY AS 1ST, 2ND, OR 3RD DUE IN THE AREA AROUND THEIR QUARTERS. IT PROBABLY WOULD BE VERY RARE WHERE A CHIEF REQUIRED A UNIT SUPPLYING GREATER THAN 1000 GPM THAT EARLY INTO AN INCIDENT.

Squad assigned engines remained 1000 GPM as the size of pump casing and valves in 2000 GPM models would take away from compartment space required for squad specific equipment. It is also the reason that hose-beds are different size and configuration  on the squad assigned engines.

BCR

The 2000 gpm would only be utilized in a large scale operation to relay water a great distance. That?s the only way they would be able to utlize double the pump capacity. With squads and now possiblely HMTU?s it makes sense to have the extra room as well as not wasting the money on something that will only ever Be used in pump testing. With only having 1st 2nd and 3rd due boxes they will be either on the scene or operating as a special unit. Operating in any of those positions would pretty much gaurentee you won?t be relay pumping

BCR said:
The 2000 gpm would only be utilized in a large scale operation to relay water a great distance. That?s the only way they would be able to utlize double the pump capacity. With squads and now possiblely HMTU?s it makes sense to have the extra room as well as not wasting the money on something that will only ever Be used in pump testing. With only having 1st 2nd and 3rd due boxes they will be either on the scene or operating as a special unit. Operating in any of those positions would pretty much gaurentee you won?t be relay pumping

The 4 HM Engines have all their boxes up to a 5th alarm assignment

Brooklynalex32 said:
https://a856-cityrecord.nyc.gov/RequestDetail/20190528020

Awarded to seagrave

what is that? how many, 5 ? 5 million dollars ? so no the HMTU Engines will be squad types ?