11/13/2010 Staten Island Box 1233 Fourth Alarm - Brush Fire

Staten Island 2nd Alarm Box 1233 for a large brush fire.  Here we go again!! Right near area of Box 2242 and Miller Field

Box Location - Olympia Blvd and Winfield St

01:25
Third Alarm transmitted

01:40
Fourth Alarm transmitted

I have to go out to Queens so I will not be doing a rundown now

3rd Alarm
2 BCs S/C on the 2nd alarm
Operating 4 sectors (375 Quintard, end of Pearsall, end of Quintard, Father Capadanno (sp?).
Large body of fire 50 yards from houses, sounds like setting up the tower.

I have buffed a couple of jobs in this area and the fire is very close to many homes, this one is very, very dangerous.

There are four large areas of fire - one is at Father Capidanno Blvd - MIchael S is right about the area - DC8 is at 375 Quintard St south of Olympia Blvd

:)The last 48 hours have been extremely busy for FDNY. Kudos to all the members who were engaged in fire supression activities. And another kudo to the dispatchers who did an excellent job. Someone had to get someone somewhere. :)

I have a question with the severity of Staten Island brush fires. Those who read my posts know I am not a new guy to the site. I am amazed as to the severity of these fires. I realize SI is isolated as far as response units and times. This is probably a stupid question, but what causes these incidents? Arson, arcing wires, etc. To those who understand WWII history, "The world wonders" ???

It could be a combination of all of the above, plus carelessly tossing a cigar or cigarette, illegal "camp-fires", spontaneous combustion and such to name a few. Staten Island has a lot less brush than years ago but still cranks out the multiples each year. Where is "Smokey the Bear" when he is needed?

mack

Administrator
The answer to who starts SI brush fires has always been - kids.