2/6/10 Manhattan 10-75 Box 976 All Hands 2nd Alarm

That's also one of the best things that our FDNY dispatchers are good at figuring out and no UCT will ever be able to do. ;)

Regarding maps: Remember that there are areas of the city that look one way on a printed map yet are totally different when you're on the ground. For example: Harlem (Morningside Hts.), Washington Hts., Inwood, and the western Bronx (Concourse, Highbridge, Morris Hts. Fordham Hill, Kingsbridge, Riverdale) have hills and ridges where streets appear to go straight through on the map but are actually cut-off to motor vehicle traffic. Some have stairs leading from one level to another but you can't drive through. Knowing that is very important when you're trying to figure out which unit(s)  will get there first, second third or not at all. I know in today's world it's not as safe as when I was coming up but if you can, I recommend that you travel throughout the city and see for yourself. ;)
[/quote]

I can't tell you how many 1,000 times I looked at my NYC 5 Boro Atlas going to buff a job, saw the huge column of smoke and just thought it was a straight shot across ...........Street. Next thing I'm about ten blocks south trying to get to the job. And I would spend hours studying those maps on how to get around, espically the above neighborhoods. Looking at a map really doesn't tell the true picture of the fastest way to certain neighborhoods.
[/quote]

I live in DaBronx and have been chasing fires for over 35 years, I still get lost in DaBronx and upper Manhattan. Forget about going to Brooklyn or Queens I'd never get back.