2/7/21 Bronx All Hands Box 2247

Address: 590 Grand Concourse - 1 story commercial

Maybe,
S41,E60,71
L17,55
B14

B14 gave All Hands/UC, no special units - fire in rear of

This building was originally a showroom for IBM business machines until around 1967-68 then became a USPS annex with offices on the Grand Concourse side and a basement work area for letter carriers with an entrance in the rear at 150th St. & Anthony Griffin Pl. It was vacated a few years ago by USPS and became a "cheapo" furniture showroom. BTW, I worked out of the main USPS building (558 Gr. Conc.) for 34 years and eventually got my own office from 1982 to 1992) at the N/E corner of the penthouse setback where I had a perfect "Buff Watch Tower" with a panoramic view of the South Bronx and Northern Manhattan.

This building was originally a showroom for IBM business machines until around 1967-68 then became a USPS annex with offices on the Grand Concourse side and a basement work area for letter carriers with an entrance in the rear at 150th St. & Anthony Griffin Pl. It was vacated a few years ago by USPS and became a "cheapo" furniture showroom. BTW, I worked out of the main USPS building (558 Gr. Conc.) for 34 years and eventually got my own office from 1982 to 1992) at the N/E corner of the penthouse setback where I had a perfect "Buff Watch Tower" with a panoramic view of the South Bronx and Northern Manhattan.
Did you work with David Berkowitz (Son of Sam)? I went to Cardinal Hayes ‘73 - ‘77 and was creeped out to know I was walking past that guy each day when I got off the train at 149 and the Concourse.

Did you work with David Berkowitz (Son of Sam)? I went to Cardinal Hayes ‘73 - ‘77 and was creeped out to know I was walking past that guy each day when I got off the train at 149 and the Concourse.
Yes I did know "Son Of Sam". My coworkers and I was even discussed what we would do if we found out who "Son of Sam" was and collecting the reward that was on his head as he was standing within earshot of us. I've told the story numerous times to a few of the members of this group.

Yes I did know "Son Of Sam". My coworkers and I was even discussed what we would do if we found out who "Son of Sam" was and collecting the reward that was on his head as he was standing within earshot of us. I've told the story numerous times to a few of the members of this group.
Wow! What a crazy thing to be working with an animal like that. Your head must have exploded when you saw his picture on the front of the newspaper.

Wow! What a crazy thing to be working with an animal like that. Your head must have exploded when you saw his picture on the front of the newspaper.
One of my bandmates was an NYPD detective working out of Police Headquarters and he had asked me months before if I suspected any of my coworkers. I actually gave him 2 names to check out but neither one was Berkowitz. Please bear in mind that he was an excellent worker who actually got along with everybody. On the morning of August 10th I got a call from my cop friend and he asked me: "What were those names you gave me a while back?" I replied and he told me: "You don't know how close you were but turn on your TV in about an hour because we got him". I turned on Channel 4 News and saw a reporter standing in front of the employees entrance at the rear of the Bronx General Post Office interviewing people who had worked with him. I ran down, got in my car and made it over there to find out that it was that one quiet guy nobody would've ever suspected.

Good question. He was known to hang around 66/61 when it opened as he lived in Coop City at the time. He kept journals of thousands of responses over the years. They were found in his apartment. One theory is that he was a prodigious firebug- lighting thousands of rubbish, ADV and small vacant building fires. When you look thru some of the available journal pages, he logged peculiar runs, minor BS, not the big jobs you might expect from a buff perspective.
My suspicion is that he went around lighting fires, then watching and listening on a portable scanner. Not a reach considering what he is more infamous for.

Good question. He was known to hang around 66/61 when it opened as he lived in Coop City at the time. He kept journals of thousands of responses over the years. They were found in his apartment. One theory is that he was a prodigious firebug- lighting thousands of rubbish, ADV and small vacant building fires. When you look thru some of the available journal pages, he logged peculiar runs, minor BS, not the big jobs you might expect from a buff perspective.
My suspicion is that he went around lighting fires, then watching and listening on a portable scanner. Not a reach considering what he is more infamous for.
Pretty crazy info/history.